What's your job and how much you earn? (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

rnitya_25 said:
you made your job sound soo good and crashed it all with the last line. lol...what company anyway?

i just got a job yesterday, on top of my useless avon job, as a waitperson at a newly opening noodle bar/restaurant at wespoint blacktown, oposite hoyts. pretty ok, but the pay is pretty crap....8 bucks an hour. oh well, i gotta start somewhere.
$8/hr??? how old are you? coz that doesn't sound right... as in legal...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yeah, you're right. im 18 and ima check up on that. i think the legal amount is minimum is 11 or 12 bux an hour. thanks mate

theone123

blue essence
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
yeah, you're right. im 18 and ima check up on that. i think the legal amount is minimum is 11 or 12 bux an hour. thanks mate
is theres "under the table" money? if it is, its not uncommon, come to the city...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
its a newly opening restaurant. so im thinking they wanna pay less to make me work so its better for them financially. but i wanna be fair...i should get the min. what do you mean by 'under the table' money?

it is perhaps uncommon, but it shouldn't be if its illegal right?

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
job : barmen / supervisor / manager level 5

pay: $25 + penalties and tips (mon - fri) $30 sat, $36 sun and $53 pub hols...

hours: 25-35 hours

pull about $750 - $900 walk away with $600- $750

L

LaraB

rnitya_25 said:
its a newly opening restaurant. so im thinking they wanna pay less to make me work so its better for them financially. but i wanna be fair...i should get the min. what do you mean by 'under the table' money?

it is perhaps uncommon, but it shouldn't be if its illegal right?
its common but not legal:)

i used to work at a restaurant too and pay was around that - cept i mentioned in passing the legal requirements and surprise surprise - i get a pay rise lol..

'under the table' meaning cash in hand, not recorded type thing.

Have you signed an employment agreement of any sort? because if you haven't it's dodgy under teh table:) but if you have - you should be able to check that with the legal requirements because it should state what youre job is technically called and all that

if it is dodgy under the table stuff - it's good in a way coz you d on't have to pay tax, but just make sure you're covered insurance wise coz where i used to work - not all of us were paid 'legally' as such so not all of us actually had insurance cover so if anything happens to you - especially if you're ina kitchen with lota hot stuff around and slippery floors and all that - its just a bitch coz you won't automatically get the money necessarily...

plus they'll probably jip you outa extra pay for public holidays and sundays and overtime and uniform cleaning costs blah blah blah...

restaurants are so dodgy lol:p unless they're part of a franchise

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Hey, can someone tell me, Sunday is meant to be double-time, right? (I'm casual, Bilo)

Coz I get my normal rate, and one hour of double...so say I work 4 hours, it averages out to $23.375 per hour, instead of my usual $18.700. Is that..allowed?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
LaraB said:
its common but not legal:)

i used to work at a restaurant too and pay was around that - cept i mentioned in passing the legal requirements and surprise surprise - i get a pay rise lol..

'under the table' meaning cash in hand, not recorded type thing.

Have you signed an employment agreement of any sort? because if you haven't it's dodgy under teh table:) but if you have - you should be able to check that with the legal requirements because it should state what youre job is technically called and all that

if it is dodgy under the table stuff - it's good in a way coz you d on't have to pay tax, but just make sure you're covered insurance wise coz where i used to work - not all of us were paid 'legally' as such so not all of us actually had insurance cover so if anything happens to you - especially if you're ina kitchen with lota hot stuff around and slippery floors and all that - its just a bitch coz you won't automatically get the money necessarily...

plus they'll probably jip you outa extra pay for public holidays and sundays and overtime and uniform cleaning costs blah blah blah...

restaurants are so dodgy lol:p unless they're part of a franchise

thank you so much lara, you've been so damn helpful. that under the table thing is sorta what avon gives you too. its stupid, but its good because you don't have to pay tax...true. now, i've looked at the sites for checking what the minimum legal salary is for an 18 year old, i just get confused with the grade 1, 2, 3 etc.. does anyone specifically know what the legal minimum wage is?..per hour. thanks again lara :D i'd give you rep points if they existed..hehe

L

LaraB

rnitya_25 said:
thank you so much lara, you've been so damn helpful. that under the table thing is sorta what avon gives you too. its stupid, but its good because you don't have to pay tax...true. now, i've looked at the sites for checking what the minimum legal salary is for an 18 year old, i just get confused with the grade 1, 2, 3 etc.. does anyone specifically know what the legal minimum wage is?..per hour. thanks again lara :D i'd give you rep points if they existed..hehe
the grade thing - you'd have to check with your employer...

has to do with your experience, what tasks exactly you're doing blah blah blah - doesn't appear to b e exactly specific..

if you're ultra confused you can give the helpline thingo a call - there's a link of the NSW IR commission site i think? not sure.. i remember seeing it somewhere...

there isn't really a standard minimum wage as such for an 18 coz it depends on the industry, job you're doing, experience in the position, level of supervision etc

L

LaraB

hipsta_jess said:
Hey, can someone tell me, Sunday is meant to be double-time, right? (I'm casual, Bilo)

Coz I get my normal rate, and one hour of double...so say I work 4 hours, it averages out to $23.375 per hour, instead of my usual $18.700. Is that..allowed?
its not necessarily automatically double time every hour...

you'd have to check your employment agreement - since its Bilo and its not some dodgy corner store or something - you could pretty safely assume whatever was in your emplpoyment contract is legally allowable coz retail/franchises etc seem to have standard contracts...

so it should specify that kind of thing in there..

otherwise talk to your supervisor or someone coz its not really a standard thing that applies everywhere:)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I didn't get a contract :( Haha, I'm beginning to think its somewhat dodgy.

Hmm, the The THE supervisor is a bit of a bitch. I think I'll find one of the lower (nice) supervisors and ask.

Thanks though!

Super_Flyse

HSC
natstar said:
Is it true that if you earn under X amount per week you dont pay tax on it? Becuase once I only worked 1 shift and got paid about 35 bucks for the week and no tax came out of it..
A very, very late reply but...

If you earn under $112 a week, it isn't taxed.

L

LaraB

hipsta_jess said:
I didn't get a contract :( Haha, I'm beginning to think its somewhat dodgy.

Hmm, the The THE supervisor is a bit of a bitch. I think I'll find one of the lower (nice) supervisors and ask.

Thanks though!
no probs:)

you should try to get a copy of something in writing though... especially so you'll know notice you gotta give if you wanna quit and all that kind of thing... if you have nothing in writing they can stop you from doing/getting a lot of stuff which can be annoying

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
LaraB said:
no probs:)

you should try to get a copy of something in writing though... especially so you'll know notice you gotta give if you wanna quit and all that kind of thing... if you have nothing in writing they can stop you from doing/getting a lot of stuff which can be annoying

that's so true. not having a contract when you work can become a real problem, a few people i know have had problems like that. they better gimme a contract.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I think I've written in this already, but anyways..
Target
"Customer Service Assistant"
$11.96 /h

Public Holidays, double time + half
Sundays, time + half
Boxing Day, triple time + half.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
has any one else been given a workplace agreement? ive just been offered a job in a coffee shop with the condition that i sign it. it seems pretty good though. i will get $17/hr but no penalty rates on weekends etc
sorry dont know if this has been bought up in this thread already

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Job: call centre operator for Telstra
Rate: $16 plus commission/bonuses for efficiency
Hours: 12pm-8pm Mon-Thu, 10am-6pm Fri

The people are great and the offices are modern. I just started, but so far so good.

Job2: hungry jack's
Rate: $7.46 and I'm 17!
Hours: Weekends for 3-7hours

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
fnkychk said:
Job: call centre operator for Telstra
Rate: $16 plus commission/bonuses for efficiency
Hours: 12pm-8pm Mon-Thu, 10am-6pm Fri

The people are great and the offices are modern. I just started, but so far so good.
can you please, for god's sake, please tell me how you got that job and where it is? PLEASE.......i've been asking so many people....PLEASE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)