When do I need to do some past papers ? (1 Viewer)

absydau

HSC
Hi all, I am in year 12 this year and I am not sure when should i try past papers. Say for example, in Chem I have done module 5, and 6 during this holidays and also started mod 7. Question is do i need to wait for module 8 to be finished or can i start past papers and answer any questions related to mod 5 and 6? Do you all use past papers for trial preparation or after trial only or throughout the year? sorry, i am confused in this area and any help is much appreciated.

medaspirant

HSC
Hi all, I am in year 12 this year and I am not sure when should i try past papers. Say for example, in Chem I have done module 5, and 6 during this holidays and also started mod 7. Question is do i need to wait for module 8 to be finished or can i start past papers and answer any questions related to mod 5 and 6? Do you all use past papers for trial preparation or after trial only or throughout the year? sorry, i am confused in this area and any help is much appreciated.
legit had the same q at the start of the holidays i dont know if this is the best thing to do but rather than hsc papers ive just started on books like strive which categorised past hsc qs into specific mods like ive done mod 5 and 6 for chem and 567 for phys so like ive been just doing these qs as a sort of way to consolidate the theory. like tis way i dont need to go through papers finding qs and answering them as it is all already sorted.

4321suomynona

HSC
legit had the same q at the start of the holidays i dont know if this is the best thing to do but rather than hsc papers ive just started on books like strive which categorised past hsc qs into specific mods like ive done mod 5 and 6 for chem and 567 for phys so like ive been just doing these qs as a sort of way to consolidate the theory. like tis way i dont need to go through papers finding qs and answering them as it is all already sorted.
Thats a great idea. But also think about this. The questions in hsc papers are for the HSC and so it is made for the whole state. What im trying to imply by saying that is, you should definetly hop onto thsc and go thru some top selective/private school papers as they make their questions for higher performing students which are generally used to challenge students and this is so they can differentiate between ranks in the trials. Maybe you will find a few good questions on strive (ik i did haha) but yes do go thru thsc.

4321suomynona

HSC
Thats amazing lmao. Personally ive been going through trial papers and sifting thru all the mod 5 questions. I recently finished mod 6 for chem and i also started mod 7, but i realised its more crucial to focus on my upcoming chemistry exam (the test is on mod 5/6). So now im gonna go thru some revision on mod 5 and 6. Then do all and as many mod5/6 questions from trial papers I can and finally do my schools past exams possibly 2/3 weeks before the actual test. Make sure to focus on all ur subjects and get a deeper understanding and grasp of the content rather than rushing thru and trying to finish the whole course to possibly not understand it to as depth as you would hope for. Theres no point in saying oh yeah i finished the whole chem syllabus in 6 weeks im amazing, (i rmb i finished all of mod 4 in 1 week lmao). But for mod 5 i finished studying the content in 2 weeks, then did all the questions from pearson and in focus and went thru strive and went through numerous trial papers over the last term. I guess it really helped to solidify the content and build up speed and confidence.

zbolland

HSC
Personally, I didn't begin any full papers until 1-2 months before my trial exams. You are better off finding questions or worksheets that just cover the topics that you have completed, and once you have done at least 85-90% of the syllabus, it's a good idea to start past papers. by trials, you will be up to this point

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Start straight away. This is something you should have been doing during Term 4 as well. When HSC students who have graduated and got good marks say do past papers to do well they are not implying do full HSC or trial exam papers from day 1. Instead they are saying you need to do exam like questions throughout the Year. Either you can use books like Strive or go through HSC papers on NESA or trial papers on THSC and basically go through it and do questions that are relevant to the content you are currently doing or have completed. The other alternative is doing the tutoring homework questions if you go to a tutor who gives exam questions for homework or a tutoring centre, but if you don't the previous options will have the same effect.

So in your case start doing questions that are from mod 5 and 6 in the exams. It would be a good idea to have some kind of notebook where you write down what papers you have done so you have a checklist so you know later on I can still go back and do the mod 7, 8 questions in this paper because I haven't done that yet. It's important to start early as possible because this is how you identify problems in your knowledge in the module while you are doing it and so you can fix these early in the year vs if you leave it later on you might have forgot the content and there is too much to try improve on in a short time period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)