When should i start tutoring (1 Viewer)

Clueless0182

HSC
So the subject i think i need tutoring for are 3U maths, Eng Adv and Chem.

When do you guys think is the best time to start tutoring for all of these subject considering I'm going into year 11 next year.

Also if you guys have any recommendations for tutoring in these particular subject could you please share them.

Finally, I've heard that for English that Private tutoring is the most useful compared to group ones. Is this true?

Thanksss

beaniebabie

HSC
hey! personally for me, i wanted to start tutoring asap so i started chem and 3u tutoring in term 4. tutoring taught ahead of school and so i was able to maximise revision time the term before the big exam period. i think it should also be okay to start during roll over (if you do have roll over at school). better to get ahead now when you can.

as for english, i'm not too sure about private vs. group just because i don't get tutored for it. going off of what i know from doing private and group lessons for maths, i imagine it would be the same principle for english. private lessons would be catered specific to your needs and allow you to work on your weaknesses and strengthen what you're already good at. group lessons would probably be less catered to your needs but it would spark some competitive drive within you - make you work hard to keep up with your classmates. ultimately, it depends on what you're looking for and what you think would be the best way for you to excel in your subjects.

i hope this helps

icycledough

HSC
So the subject i think i need tutoring for are 3U maths, Eng Adv and Chem.

When do you guys think is the best time to start tutoring for all of these subject considering I'm going into year 11 next year.

Also if you guys have any recommendations for tutoring in these particular subject could you please share them.

Finally, I've heard that for English that Private tutoring is the most useful compared to group ones. Is this true?

Thanksss
With regards to English private vs 'public' (or group) tutoring, having done both myself over Year 11 and 12, I can definitely say with confidence that the biggest progress I made was when I did private. Keep in mind though that it won't be like that for everyone; as people have their own preferences and styles of teaching.

There will also definitely be discrepancies in price; like I was paying almost double for private tutoring what I was paying for group. But because I was able to gain so much more from private (went from an expected Band 4 to high Band 5), I valued it so much more. With private, my tutor expected me to have work to show her, which I think is a really good way to go about it, as it doesn't allow students to be lazy or not care essentially. Also, a private tutor can accommodate for your texts specifically, whereas with public, they may not even go through your texts as they have to cater for students from many different schools.

With 3U and Chem, I started tutoring for those from the beginning of Year 11 (so after the first term had gone by). Again, it varies from person to person, but I felt like starting in Year 11, where it's nice and early (and essentially a 'trial' for Year 12), put me in a much better position, compared to if I had started in Year 12.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally believe that starting early would give you the possibility of improving yourself in Mathematics Extension 1, English Advanced and Chemistry early on, which is an essential element that would familiarise you to a greater extent and make you more comfortable with understanding and manipulating the content and methods of those 3 subjects in Stage 6. This is provided that you can comfortably afford tutoring for those 3 subjects for 2 consecutive years. If you find that this may be too expensive, this strategy may need to be revised. Since year 12 is the most important year of school, and since no assessable components (assessment tasks/exams) in year 11 contribute towards your ATAR, you may wish to delay tutoring (as a more affordable option) until you commence year 12.

I agree with icycledough that private tutoring may be better suited to the specific needs of a particular student, as opposed to a group environment at a tutoring company, where individual students may not be given enough attention. In the case of private tutoring for English Advanced, I believe the same would apply. As was already mentioned, there is a much higher possibility to receive direct assistance as your private tutor will most likely have studied/is familiar with your prescribed texts, giving them an advantage over tutoring companies, as they will be able to provide direct/specific feedback in terms of aspects such as your analyses of specific texts in addition to the more general tips and improvements that you would normally achieve through both types of tutoring. An important thing to consider with private tutoring is the academic background of the tutor in addition to the quality of additional resources/learning material they can provide you.

I hope this helps! 😄

Idkwhat_tonamethis

HSC
Personally, I usually do tutoring a few weeks before my exams. This gives me some clarification on what I’m doing right and wrong and things I might need to improve on more. I don’t think it’s necessary to get a tutor if you genuinely don’t need it. Year 11 I wouldn’t really worry that much about.

Going into year 12 now I would suggest getting a tutor to focus on the subjects ur terrible at and improve them. That way u have a balance of maintaining ur good subjects and improving ur bad ones. I would also suggest getting a well rounded tutor (which can be hard to find) but this way u can ask for feedback for any subject

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Tutors are great, just don't develop an overdependence on them, make sure you can self teach yourself if needed. Its worth it if you are dedicated and willing to maximise your efforts and make use of the service, don't feel shy to ask help or anything even if its minor or small, that's what they're paid for.

Saint Dev

HSC
Tutoring isn't the be-all and end-all of the HSC. However, if you find a good tutor, you don't stand to lose much (besides money). My only concern is the mindset that you can't rank competitively or perform well without tutoring - don't sell yourself short already. Nevertheless, I won't pretend to know your circumstances nor do I want to dissuade you from seeking help with your studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)