Where should I do actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

tajgill

HSC
Hi everyone, I don't know what uni is the best for doing actuarial studies. Also, I've heard ANU is the best ranked uni in Australia but it requires a lower atar than UNSW and macq for example. Why is that? And I read online that ANU isn't good for actuarial studies for a range of reasons, so if anyone knows more about why it isn't good, can you please let me know.

Thanks in advance

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Most people I know who do actuarial studies chose Macquarie University. However, I believe UNSW is pretty good for actuarial as well. So you should consider these 2 unis if you wish to study this course.

Not sure about ANU though, sorry. We need an expert's opinion about ANU here.

tajgill

HSC
Most people I know who do actuarial studies chose Macquarie University. However, I believe UNSW is pretty good for actuarial as well. So you should consider these 2 unis if you wish to study this course.

Okay thanks, I live really close to Macquarie so I rather go there. And yeah imma wait for an ANU expert now

tajgill

HSC
Hi, I just wanted to ask that if I don't get the ATAR required for actuarial studies at Macquarie, can I do another course for a bit and then move into actuarial?

Thanks in advance.

tajgill

HSC
Also, do the adjustment factors (3 points) from the Big History scheme apply to actuarial studies, because it doesn't say anywhere on the website that they don't?

idkkdi

HSC

because canberra isn't exactly the place to be for commercial jobs.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
because canberra isn't exactly the place to be for commercial jobs.
Would studying actuarial at ANU and then working in Sydney be a viable option according to you?

I know it's definitely not a practical option if you consider unis in Sydney which offer this course such as Macquarie and UNSW.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi, I just wanted to ask that if I don't get the ATAR required for actuarial studies at Macquarie, can I do another course for a bit and then move into actuarial?

Thanks in advance.
Also, do the adjustment factors (3 points) from the Big History scheme apply to actuarial studies, because it doesn't say anywhere on the website that they don't?
actuarial studies is pretty brutal in its dropout rates, so it may be a good idea to not go into actuarial studies if you are not able to get at least the minimum ATAR. I would expect transfers to not fare very well.

@quickoats could comment.

idkkdi

HSC
Would studying actuarial at ANU and then working in Sydney be a viable option according to you?

I know it's definitely not a practical option if you consider unis in Sydney which offer this course such as Macquarie and UNSW.
going out of state probably happens for a lot of the commercey majors at ANU, but it would probably be more effort than needed for a lower chance of good employment.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
going out of state probably happens for a lot of the commercey majors at ANU, but it would probably be more effort than needed for a lower chance of good employment.
Yeah, I guess OP should consider Macquarie and UNSW in that case.

quickoats

HSC

Thanks in advance.
Yes. Generally you'll need a DN WAM and need to complete a couple of units (finance 1a and stat1371, maybe math 1a) to internally transfer.

quickoats

HSC
actuarial studies is pretty brutal in its dropout rates, so it may be a good idea to not go into actuarial studies if you are not able to get at least the minimum ATAR. I would expect transfers to not fare very well.

@quickoats could comment.
First year wasn't too bad but tbh I think the mythical dropout rates come from the really hard final qualification exams, and people switching out because it's not what they thought it would be/are bored of insurance (i.e. me). According to the UNSW timetable there are roughly the same amount of students in year 2 and 3 actl so yeah not a 50% drop out rate. I will note that there are about half doing the optional year 4 subjects (known as part 2).

The real bottleneck is grads going for grad roles - you NEED to have an actuarial specific grad role if you are looking at becoming a fully qualified actuary (as most actuarial studies students probably do). There are a lot of UNSW, MQ, ANU, Melb, Monash, Curtin and Bond (lol) students competing for a very small amount of positions, so the WAM probs needs to be quite high + extra curriculars to have a shot. Inevitably, lots of people miss out, but might not have enough statistical/computing/accounting/financial knowledge to make the jump into other fields.

Please try to ask yourself "why actuarial studies?" - if you feel like you have a good enough reason for doing it, then go for it! But it's really not all that it's made out to be.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi everyone, I don't know what uni is the best for doing actuarial studies. Also, I've heard ANU is the best ranked uni in Australia but it requires a lower atar than UNSW and macq for example. Why is that? And I read online that ANU isn't good for actuarial studies for a range of reasons, so if anyone knows more about why it isn't good, can you please let me know.

Thanks in advance
Go MQ if you're closer but a really good staff just left so I'm not sure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)