Which Degree is the best out of the following: (1 Viewer)

RaymondB

HSC
I am having trouble with deciding on a business degree at Macquarie, and need help with choosing the following:

* A Bachelor of Commerce Degree
* A Bachelor of Professional Accounting
* A Bachelor of Commerce and Professional Accounting
* Possibly a Bachelor of Economics or Commerce and Economics
* Essentially any mix of the latter three degrees (Commerce, Proffesional Accounting, Economics albeit less likely)

I know the double degree (Commerce and PA) seems logical, but what are the pros and cons of each degree, and what differentiates them from each other? For more context, I aim to become either an accountant or other financial pathway (I dislike marketing, operations and especially human resources lol, so I prefer not to learn them in uni), or possibly becoming an economist. The problem is I feel like commerce is better because it allows me to study a larger range of things and so I can learn what I like and dislike (for example professional accounting won't let me learn economics, which I may like). Thanks for the help!

uniqueusername1

HSC
I am having trouble with deciding on a business degree at Macquarie, and need help with choosing the following:

* A Bachelor of Commerce Degree
* A Bachelor of Professional Accounting
* A Bachelor of Commerce and Professional Accounting
* Possibly a Bachelor of Economics or Commerce and Economics
* Essentially any mix of the latter three degrees (Commerce, Proffesional Accounting, Economics albeit less likely)

I know the double degree (Commerce and PA) seems logical, but what are the pros and cons of each degree, and what differentiates them from each other? For more context, I aim to become either an accountant or other financial pathway (I dislike marketing, operations and especially human resources lol, so I prefer not to learn them in uni), or possibly becoming an economist. The problem is I feel like commerce is better because it allows me to study a larger range of things and so I can learn what I like and dislike (for example professional accounting won't let me learn economics, which I may like). Thanks for the help!
Lol i'm struggling to decide just like you. Since we share similar interests.

Maybe look into business analytics (seems cool), finance, accounting and economics and just do a double degree.

If you don't like one I guess you could drop it.

EDIT: Apparently just doing a degree in accounting is more useful than majoring in it in commerce.

RaymondB

HSC
I don't think I'm going to enjoy Business Analytics unfortunately lol, not my type of degree (I dislike IT kinda), but ive narrowed down to a double degree choice, which seems better than a single degree right? I'm thinking either Commerce and Professional Accounting or Commerce and Economics.

uniqueusername1

HSC
I don't think I'm going to enjoy Business Analytics unfortunately lol, not my type of degree (I dislike IT kinda), but ive narrowed down to a double degree choice, which seems better than a single degree right? I'm thinking either Commerce and Professional Accounting or Commerce and Economics.
I don't think thats a double degree.

However, Economics/Accounting would be a double degree.

Maybe you could do that. I love economics but, the job prospects don't seem that great :(

RaymondB

HSC
search up bachelor of commerce and professional accounting Macquarie (i cant link it lol), is it not a double degree

RaymondB

HSC
Also yeah the problem with economics is the career choices and jobs, they are very limited unfortunately, which is why I prefer commerce. I may just do a single commerce degree, there's too much choice lol

RaymondB

HSC
well then that settles it: A single commerce degree majoring in accounting I guess, screw economics lol although you do learn it a bit in commerce right?

uniqueusername1

HSC
well then that settles it: A single commerce degree majoring in accounting I guess, screw economics lol although you do learn it a bit in commerce right?
I think you do a bit. Well if you know you want to do accounting (cause you don't like the other majors), then maybe your should just do professional accounting. It meets CPA requirements to be an accountant.

RaymondB

HSC
I could do professional accounting but I don't want to be fixated on just accounting, I want flexibility because I'm unsure of my exact career path for now. Also thanks a lot for helping me decide, see you at Macquarie!

uniqueusername1

HSC
I could do professional accounting but I don't want to be fixated on just accounting, I want flexibility because I'm unsure of my exact career path for now. Also thanks a lot for helping me decide, see you at Macquarie!
Yea thats true.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Well if you do figure it out later maybe you could do a double.

You have 3 months anyways to properly decide.

laterz laterz

HSC
i'd say do commerce and eco. it would open up a decent amount of work opportunities for you

quickoats

HSC
If you aim to be an accountant, BPA will allow you to satisfy CPA/CAANZ requirements. If you do BCom(accounting), you may not satisfy all the requirements. Maybe a BPA BCom double will allow you to pursue the full accounting pathway as well as a commerce pathway.

Note that economics is very different to high school econ.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The professional accounting qualification has the benefit that it meets all tertiary requirements for entry into industry qualifications such as CPA/CA etc.

Honestly, if you are planning to "major" in Accounting you'd be unwise not to do the professional accounting qualification degree. This is from someone who has industry experience in financial services and based on people I know who recruit in this sphere. Firms look for people to be able to start their industry qualifications as soon as possible, and if you don't have the right units you have to spend a fair chunk of money on bridging units.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Start with Professional Accounting you can move degrees if you end up realising that you like Economics more.

RaymondB

HSC
Hmmm, my two choices now are bachelor of commerce by itself or bachelor of combined studies (commerce and professional accounting). I'll probably go with the combined studies, thank you BLIT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)