Which is the best historian? (1 Viewer)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HSC
In terms of information relevant to the 5 syllabus questions and ease of access to it and possibly interest factor which historian would you say is the best?
Options being such as Marx, Ranke, Hobsbawm, Bede, Thucydides etc.

caitycat

HSC
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa said:
In terms of information relevant to the 5 syllabus questions and ease of access to it and possibly interest factor which historian would you say is the best?

I can't think of any essay where you could not use Von Ranke! He's not my favourite historian, but he's a useful old boy!

historykidd

HSC
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa said:
best historian could quite possibly be francis montario look him up.

el gwapo

HSC
There's no best historian - historians and historiography is best studied comparatively.

That being said I like the argument of Richard Evans versus the rest of Post-modernism e.g. White, Vincent, etc. . "In Defense of History", 250 pages of historical bliss.

There's also Macaulay, Scott, and other Romanticist-inspired historians/novelists versus Ranke, Thucydides and Heroditus (though I don't know much about them to be honest but from a study day I went to it's a popular comparative study of methodology and historiographic methods)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)