Which maths is harder (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
Which would be harder of these fundamental math units:

- introduction to linear algebra
- mathematical modelling

Also, is discrete mathematics difficult? I need it for comp sci..

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
They're all pretty easy.

Linear Algebra is probably the hardest out of the three seeing as it is completely new.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I found Mathematical Modelling slightly harder than Linear Algebra. Linear just made a lot of sense, while modelling was easier to understand the immediate applications of. So, as Amleops says: either/or.

photastic

HSC
Which would be harder of these fundamental math units:

- introduction to linear algebra
- mathematical modelling

Also, is discrete mathematics difficult? I need it for comp sci..
Chick doing comp sci... that's a first. Discrete maths is not as hard as linear algebra.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
They're all about the same, and MATH1004 is apparently easy but I'm not sure.
Yeah I can vouch for that. MATH1004 is probably the easiest normal level math unit you can do.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm finding MATH1902 alot more difficult than MATH1901 atm. The tute questions anyway.
I didn't do math1902, but I did math1002 and math1901, and I certainly found math1901 to be easier (yes, easier than 1002!) just because calculus is basically second nature to me while 1002/1902 introduced very different topics. So perhaps for OP it depends on what she's been exposed more to: mathematical modelling or linear algebra?

hungry

HSC
I didn't do math1902, but I did math1002 and math1901, and I certainly found math1901 to be easier (yes, easier than 1002!) just because calculus is basically second nature to me while 1002/1902 introduced very different topics. So perhaps for OP it depends on what she's been exposed more to: mathematical modelling or linear algebra?
I'm doing MATH1111 (intro to calculus) and basically have a weak math background

engineering

HSC
N/A
When a student asks "which subject is harder", are they actually asking "which subject is it easiest for me to pass with the least amount work".

Either way, it is impossible to answer. Your performance is dependent on so many things that only you know about
eg its "difficulty" depends on both your preparation and understanding of assumed knowledge
eg your ability to get marks might vary if you prefer exams or assignments

It is better to ask "which unit is more aligned to my interests and/or is going to prepare me better for next year at uni or my ultimate profession".

Students who are motivated and keen for a unit generally go better than those merely doing it because they have picked what is perceived to the "easiest" from a list of electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)