Which option topic? (1 Viewer)

Which option topic do u do?

• Software Developers view of hardware

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Evolution of programming languages

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters
HSC
Hey guys just wondering how many people do software developers view of hardware and how many do evolution of programming languages? I do software developers view of hardware and it was pretty good what bout u programming languages people? what were the questions 4 ur topic like i didnt look, they hard or easy or what?

HSC
evo was pretty fucking easy, i couldnt properly evaluate the logic function though

nishkak

HSC
evo = piss easy

part (a) (ii) is just all the people who mary is the ancestor of.. answer:

ancestor(mary, bob)
ancestory(mary, cathy)

MarsBarz

HSC
Yeah evolution was relatively easy but as usual, BOS loves to put a few ambiguous question here and there.

By the way the output of the query from (q24.a.ii) was bob and cathy.

MarsBarz

HSC
nishkak said:
evo = piss easy

part (a) (ii) is just all the people who mary is the ancestor of.. answer:

ancestor(mary, bob)
ancestory(mary, cathy)
Hmm, from your post it looks like you had no idea wtf you were doing and just miraculously came accross the correct answer you fag!

First of all here are the two rules we must look at:

[1] ancestor(X, Y):- parent(X, Y)
[2] ancestor(X, Z):- parent(X, Y), ancestor(Y, Z)

Now from the [1] rule:
ancestor(X, Y):- parent(X, Y)
ancestor(marry, Y):- parent(marry, Y)
We search the knowledge base and find the following fact which satisfies our goal:
parent(marry, bob)
Thus our first output is bob

Now from [2] rule:
ancestor(X, Z):- parent(X, Y), ancestor(Y, Z)
ancestor(mary,Y):- parent(mary, Y1), ancestor(Y1, Y)
Now from above, we know taht Y1 is bob so:
ancestor(mary,Y):- parent(mary, bob), ancestor(bob, Y)
taking the second part, ancestor(bob, Y)
which from rule [1] is:
ancestor(bob, Y):- parent(bob, Y)
We search the knowledge base and find the following fact which satisfies our goal:
parent(bob, cathy)
And thus our second output is cathy.

We conclude that the output is bob and cathy.

#

Tincat

Sith Lady!
HSC
>_<
Yeah, I found software dev's view of hardware ok... except for that stupid last question... but I totally blame my teacher for that. Ages of time off with 2 broken ribs and then laryngitis for like 2 months. So... I had to kind of learn the option solo... hehe, hence the screw up!

Hahahaha... hahaha... haha... *collapses*
I'm gonna get in the 80s... >_>

nishkak

HSC
MarsBarz yes your logic is correct - and so is mine :)

if you look at the facts defined at the beginning of the segment those two results are the two people who mary is the ancestor of. Mary is the parent of bob, and bob is the parent of cathy, mary is an ancestor in both cases.

I really just said what you did, saying what it means rather than how the computer processes it. good work hi5! looks like we both got it.

are answers accepted in the form i mentioned? ancestor(mary, bob) as opposed to just 'bob'.. i wrote the latter first then crossed it out, writing the former...

Last edited:

MarsBarz

HSC
Don't blame your teacher. 99% of sdd teachers are absolute idiots who aren't even computer literate. I learnt the entire option topic by myself (and most of the course as well). It's usually better when you teach yourself, go at your own pace etc. Some concepts are quite difficult but if you have a number of resources you eventually come to an understanding of it.
But hey, I reckon 90% of the SDD sense is pure common sense. If you're intuitive and have good comprehension skills the rest will just flow. It also help if you have a decent understanding of programming concepts too since there are so many algorithm questions.

Tincat

Sith Lady!
HSC
Yes, I agree, it mostly is common sense, but I do get slightly... extremely irritated when all my hard work goes to waste on flouncy, fluffy questions like this. They were so subjective.

And trust me, if you ever were to meet my sdd teacher, you'd agree with me. You'd want to blame him for *everything*. I mean, yeah, I like learning... but it's not like I have the time to teach myself. I have homework to do. Very important 4u math homework (which paid off, woot!) and Latin, too. 12 units worth of homework. I find it takes longer to fully understand concepts... I actually found the option topic fairly difficult, since I'm not that much of a hardware enthusiast.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I just feel a little insulted. It's not like I'm dumb or anything... I wouldn't blame my teacher unless I had a valid reason. I work hard and I feel kind of cheated. But then, I guess I am dumb, since I'm not a total supergenius like you... *eyeroll*.

Tincat

Sith Lady!
HSC
Besides, his illiteracy is blameworthy enough! Public education should be better than that, man.

Totally.

MarsBarz

HSC
Don't worry. You're definitely not the only one out there to hate your teacher. I too do 12 units and I've found that going to my sdd lessons have been a total waste of time. My teacher was horrible and I felt like I was actually getting worst by attending his so called lessons. He would ramble on for an entire period about the most minute thing and I suspect that he was suffering from some form of obsessive compulsive behavior. He'd sudently get all rigid, and start running towards the blinds to close them. He was always trying to be a perfectionist and would take hours to write a sentence, he'd make sure that every letter was perfect. Anyway he was a total nutbag and he wasted everybody's time.

My friend didn't study at all for sdd, yet he is very computer literate and quite apt at programming. It will not surprise me if he comes top 10 in SDD. So I do believe that the subject is flawed. Or at least, the way it is examined is flawed.

As you said, hard-work doesn't really pay off much in the SDD exam. It's all subjective scenario questions. All that is needed is common sense, a basic understanding of computing, and perhaps just vague knowledge of the course. None of it seemed to really be regurgitation or defining this and that. So you basically couldn't differentiate between a student who had really studied and remembered every single SDD concept from live data to syntactic analysis.

That is my grudge.

HSC
Yeh, dont worry. My teacher's the same. :( Must just be the SDD teachers lol. Although don't get me wrong...some are really good.

I was all ready for syntactical and lexical analysis lol and all the feasibility parts like social and ethical issues, financial, technical, constrains, alternatives etc, and I was upset to not see too much of that, only one question on schedule. So many other things like that...i made acronyms for to remember, and they did not even pop up. :(

MarsBarz

HSC
Hey what did you guys put for 24.a.iv ?
I wasn't entirely sure and I don't remember my full answer but I think I put something along these lines:
male(bob).
male(tom).
son(X, Y):- male(X), parent(Y, X).

But I don't think that is the whole answer since an ancestor could have a son etc...
Blerg, a pretty annoying quesiton hehe.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Tincat said:
Besides, his illiteracy is blameworthy enough! Public education should be better than that, man.

Totally.
don't complain, your buildings are 10x nicer than ours.

Anna K

HSC
Bugger me, I just realised I left 24)b)i) out. Three marks down the drain! How could I be so blind? What was the answer btw?
I was a bit annoyed at this option topic, got the logic out fine coz I like prolog (and MarsBarz you're right btw, even if an ancestor has a son, to be defined as an anscestor they still have to be defined as a parent). But I got 20/20 for Q24 in my trial, but this was difficult. Couldn't think of any real life application for functional, and I didn't really get the whole encapsulation, blabbed on a bit. I was hoping for one of those "justify the use of this paradigm for this problem" questions, which are usually an easy 6 marks or so, but alas it wasn't there!

MarsBarz

HSC
Cool lol. Although I'm not convinced that the answer I posted is what I wrote down in the exam lol!?!

Also don't worry about forgeting a 3 mark question, someone in my class forgot an entire page!!! LOL! 10 easy marks down the drain (it was page 14). Funny thing is that he finished way early and said he checked everything, then we were asked him what he put for this and that and he just goes WTF, full panics and gets all pissed off cause he missed a whole page hahahahahah. Funniest thing ever. Missing an entire page in a HSC exam.

HSC
Hey u guys whinging bout teachers havnt seen nothin till u have "The Bishop" lol. Mrs Bishop the ultimate dragon lady teacher. Originally had her coz she was our IPT teacher, but when we got changed to software we still had her even though she,s nearly completely computer illiterate (well close enough anyway), she kept sayin u dont need computers u just do it all from the text book. Anyways im sure breesy knows what im talkin bout he called her an incompetent teacher - god that was funny

consty_87

HSC
What did everyone doing the evolution of programming languages do for that question where you needed a real-world example of using the functional paradigm? I think most of us at my school answered that pretty poorly - it was a bit unexpected. I used the example of solving a magic square in a newspaper through the use of recursion - not exactly the way you'd really do it, but it does work.

I think most of my friends were on about solving maths problems, or something like that.

Anna K

HSC
I just realised after that I left that question out! But I was thinking about it, and you could probably use functional for a calculator application. You'd need to use a GUI/event driven language for the user interface, but for the actual calculations you could use functional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)