who got OVER 90 whoz school wasnt in the top 100? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My school wasn't in the top 200 and I got 99.1. While it's helpful to have an academically competitive school, not having one isn't a serious disadvantage, provided you don't stuff up your HSC exam.

The subjects I did were english advanced, eng extension, mod history, eco, business, maths and hist extension.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
so did u do better for you internal assessment or you external exam? i dont really understand scaling .... it scares me to think that the ability of my classmates can actually pull my uai down...that isnt fair

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
More like "Who got over 94 whose school wasn't in the top 500?"

Well, I did.

Anyway, if you go to a shit school and ur teh smart, all you have to do is be ranked first in everything and then your classmates can't drag you down.

On the other hand, if you're ranked somewhere in the middle, your classmates' shit HSC exam marks will mean that your "internal" mark will be low.

It's pretty much just the opposite of good schools, where you can be ranked somewhere in the middle and your classmates' high HSC exam marks will bring your "internal" marks up.

So you need to be ranked first, which should be pretty easy, then it all comes down to the HSC exams.

It's kinda unfair though, for someone who does this, 100% of their result depends on that one exam; the whole year's work counts for nothing.

HayleeKate

HSC
Ah, my rural public school was not listed.. yet we had 10 people over 95 and something like 25 people over 90. Im sure there are many schools with students over 90 who werent in the top 100.

jessied

HSC
Most of the schools near me (Far North Coast region) aren't ranked in the top 100 and alot of kids got uai's over 90, 95 and 98. Aslong as your rankings are decent and your putting in the effort, what your school's ranked will have a minimal effect on your uai. So fair enough the kids from Ruse, Baulko etc are sujbected to really good saciling cos their school does so well but so many people are stressing over their school's ranking when if they just put the effort into the HSC, the ranking of the school is irrelevant.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
our school wasnt in the top 100, we are in the wollongong area, on the south coast.
i got 92.85. and we have a fairly bright year, 17 or so students received marks above 90.

having said that, our dux was comparatively low compared to other years and schools (98.45)

my subjects were ext eng, modern history, 2u maths, 2u studies of religion, music

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Me
and my school was like 400 and something
Our highest UAI was 99.70
My subjects were 2unit maths, adv eng, ipt, legal, business and studies of religion

clue

"melting...i'm melting"
HSC
i got 98.85 and my school's not in the top 100...i doubt its even in the top 300 since it came 297 last year and i don't think it went as well as last year, but as they said above as long as you top the rankings at school the school can't drag you down, you can only get your mark or better so don't worry and noone should blame their not so good performance on their school's performance:) :) :)

HSC
My school isn't even in the top 200 schools this year, and this many people got 90+ UAI's at my school.

cimbom

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
More like "Who got over 94 whose school wasn't in the top 500?"

Well, I did.

Anyway, if you go to a shit school and ur teh smart, all you have to do is be ranked first in everything and then your classmates can't drag you down.

On the other hand, if you're ranked somewhere in the middle, your classmates' shit HSC exam marks will mean that your "internal" mark will be low.

It's pretty much just the opposite of good schools, where you can be ranked somewhere in the middle and your classmates' high HSC exam marks will bring your "internal" marks up.

So you need to be ranked first, which should be pretty easy, then it all comes down to the HSC exams.

It's kinda unfair though, for someone who does this, 100% of their result depends on that one exam; the whole year's work counts for nothing.
:confused: It's so true. :( . I am an example of how important your final exam was... just some examples, i was extremely close 3rd in modern history, my assessment mark was 90, and apparently i did so *bad* in the exam that my assessment mark was moderated down to 83. Same with english extension one... what i too considered to be one of my best exams along with modern history, my assessment mark was moderated down from 47 (i of course do not know what the school sent in... but that's what i got) to 42. But then again, my mathematics assessment mark went from 74 to 84 because i did well in the exam. It's crazy, and i wish so much wasn't so dependent upon the last exam... because that is truly what *destroyed* my potential UAI based on school assessment marks sent to the board, in combination with the way i did my trials. the way i completed the hsc examination, the only means of comparing myself with the rest of the state, was not the best i could do.

Anyway, i went to a school where the dux was 95.something (the lowest dux in a long time) so we're not top 100... my uai was 91.40. i did mathematics 2unit, advanced english, english extension one, modern history, economics and legal studies. i only got band6 in advanced english and legal studies.

Last edited:

kate.kate

HSC
i got 94.25 and i come from good old dubbo college senior campus =o) its a public school..

i did adv english, mathematics, mathematics ext1, physics, chem and bio.

i didn't know there was a list of top 500 schools.. i thought it was just 200. but i doubt mine would have made it =o)

volition

arr.
HSC
My school was ranked around 290 the year before mine, and my class ranked 179 so we jumped 111 places :). I got 94.6 and I think from my class I got the 6th or 7th best UAI, with our best guy getting 98.75

Pace_T

HSC
i got just a little bit under 97 and my schools rank for 2004 was worse than 500!!!
i dont know the rank for the school for my year though. would'nt have changed much i dont think
i could've gotten much better i think around 98+ :(

lala2

Banned
HSC
Sometimes I wish I were in your situations, just because my exam marks were all stellar compared to my assessment marks, and so I would've gotten a higher UAI (assuming I had placed first at your schools and therefore was immune to anything else). However, saying that, I should've motivated myself more during the year, (maybe it was the complacency of being at a good school that did it) instead of having a final burst during exam time, so the moral of the story is, get a good ranking, ace the externals, and you should be fine.

LostAuzzie

HSC
School ranked something like 300th

UAI: 96.85

Subjects:
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics
Maths ext 1
English Adv
Studies of Religion 1

Our schools highest was 99.15 and she got 8 Band 6s

I was ranked in top 10 for all but one of my subjects (English), only topping one, and still managed not to be affected by more than 1 point by the rest of the class's marks, in most of them my assesment marks were slightly higher than exam marks.

So I think as long as your fairly high in rankings with only a few marks difference between yours and the top students marks and you do alright in the Exams you can still do quite well regardless of the rest of your class

Last edited:

elisabeth

HSC
Hmm, my school must be hovering around the 300-ish area, but we got about 10+ 90+ people. I did:

Eng adv.
German cont.
Biology
Geography
Modern
General

and got 99.65. The thing is, no matter what school you're at, if you work hard, you will be rewarded. Whether it's by getting killer ranks to control your HSC mark or by going ok in a fantastic school and being rewarded by the system, it's all down to you. And as everyone in here has illustrated, there are heaps and heaps of people who get 90+. So just work hard and you'll be fine, whatever school you're in.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Well, as others have stated, going to a not so competitive school doesn't mean you can't get over 90 UAI.
Two people in our school (which by the way is out of top 200, and I assume is somewhere around 250-300) got over 99, couple or more others around 95 (including me;;) and heaps of others-maybe up to ten-in range of 93-94. Pile in those who got low 90s, and we might even have close to 20 'Immortals^.^'.
Beside, I think it's better to come first in your school than come third or something like that in some 'nerdy' school. That's because once you come first, your internal mark is the highest of exam mark from your school, and provided you study your butt off, sky is the limit to your mark-as happened to me in IPT, 3U and Modern History.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
like everyone has said, it is very do-able... actually quite easy if you''re intelligent and picked the right subjects (for you), and work hard.

my school- rank 195
my UAI- 98.60

my subjects- english adv, eng ext 1, eng ext 2, modern hist, hist ext, SOR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)