Why and when will marks be deducted for messy hand writing (1 Viewer)

trist117

HSC
I am an extremely messy writing person. I am left handed, and probably the most illegible person you could possible meet. All of my teachers have complained about it, and while they can read it, its difficult for them. I have been trying to improve it since year 7, but its not easy.

Another problem, I tend to make the most minor mistakes in exams than everyone else. This includes not reading the question right, +/- errors, thinking deriving an e is like deriving and x, and sometimes I'll think deriving an x is like deriving an e, etc. Today doing my extension 1 maths test, I made so man mistakes it wasnt funny. In question 11 I thought that u was 3 and 0, already made a mistake and hadnt even fully started the paper. Due to this I did a lot of crossing out + signs, and placing a - sign next to it, scribbling out loads of work, etc.

I'm curious. How messy does my hadwriting have to be for the markers who mark my extension 1 test to decide to deduct marks. What is considered illegible. Reason I ask is the marking criteria for maths never has in their dot points DEDUCT MARK FOR MESSY WRITING.

atargainz

HSC
technically markers are obliged to give you the benefit of the doubt and try their best to read your writing, BUT there's a chance they'll see your writing as they are marking late and night and be like: fuck it i'm too tired for dis.

trist117

HSC
http://pho.to/9oXMX

These ^ are the mistakes and typical handwriting that i present in the exam. Check it out, how badly would this affect my marks?

Flop21

HSC
They have to get through other papers as well, so it's not like they are going to spend all night just trying to understand your writing.

Trying slightly tilting your notebook left at a slight angle. Also try using your arm more than your hand, try and get them to move together (hand and arm, so not just relying on hand/wrist).

I'm sure you can get it to legible. It can still be 'messy', just has to be readable.

Flop21

HSC
uh..... yeah there's nothing messy about the pic you just posted lol.

trist117

HSC
Umm yeah first one may be ok the the other 4 are horrible

trist117

HSC
Im concerned about the last pic, that is actually something i did in the exam today due to me rushing

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Technically no marking criteria will ever require legible handwriting because it is assumed. To be honest, the reason why messy handwriting is frowned upon is very simple, teachers have limited time and are willing to use limited time to read over your response, illegible handwriting just make it harder and longer for them to read your response and understand what they say, and if the time needed to understand it thoroughly is going to be greater than they are prepared to, they get cranky and they basically deduct marks for not being able to see your answer straight away. That's why it is important to have neat handwriting-it is a respect to yourself and to your teachers

I got told off a lot about my handwriting in HSC too, and sometimes I have lost marks because of it, hence legible handwriting is truly something worth pursuing:)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Markers do NOT deduct marks. They simply don't award them. The samples given though are far from illegible - in fact if that is classed as difficult to read then most of the HSC responses I have read over the pat 20+ years have been illegible.

Teachers at schools are much tougher because they know that markers (who are also teachers) have about 4 - 5 minutes per essay to mark and they are pressured to mark at around 12 - 15 an hour. If they fall too far behind that rate they are questioned about the reasons why and are encouraged to speed up. BOSTES has a set time period for the exams to be marked so if there are too many that are taking longer than the allocated 4 - 5 minutes per response and not enough shorter ones to make up the difference then the marking process will fall behind and your results won't be ready on time - that isn't going to be allowed to happen so if it can't be read it is simply not given marks. What can be read is marked accordingly so a response that is 50% legible will be marked on that 50% and no assumptions are made about what the rest of the response may have been like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)