why are my assessment marks and examination mark basically the same? (1 Viewer)

smoothsailing

HSC
I scored alot higher in my assessment marks for some subjects, yet my examination mark and assessment mark are basically the same in most of my subjects. I ranked 1st in most of my subjects, yet for example, my SOR2 examination mark was 90, while my assessment mark was also 90 (however I scored +95 for my internal mark). Same applies across the board for most of my subjects where I scored a higher band 5 or low band 6 in the HSC, and my assessment mark has been aligned to match that by afew marks.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
I had the same problem. I heard it was because we performed poorly in our externals so it lowered our internals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madijd

HSC
your assessment marks are moderated (increased, decreased, or kept the same) after your exams depending on how your year group performs on a whole! SO if you are ranked first in a course, you will receive your year group's highest exam mark as your assessment mark! Similarly, if you are ranked 2nd, you will receive the 2nd highest exam mark attained as your assessment mark.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
SO if you are ranked first in a course, you will receive your year group's highest exam mark as your assessment mark! Similarly, if you are ranked 2nd, you will receive the 2nd highest exam mark attained as your assessment mark.
Not quite that simple. They also consider the relative gaps between the marks.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I scored alot higher in my assessment marks for some subjects, yet my examination mark and assessment mark are basically the same in most of my subjects. I ranked 1st in most of my subjects, yet for example, my SOR2 examination mark was 90, while my assessment mark was also 90 (however I scored +95 for my internal mark). Same applies across the board for most of my subjects where I scored a higher band 5 or low band 6 in the HSC, and my assessment mark has been aligned to match that by afew marks.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You say you ranked 1st in internals with a mark of 95 so the school sent in 95 to BOSTES.

You then say that your exam mark was 90 and the school mark was lowered to 90.

That is because you scored the school's top exam mark of 90 and that then set the top assessment mark at 90 so your final mark is 90.

It seems that your school was a bit easy in its marking and so the top marks have been lowered to match the top marks for the exam. That brings down everyone else's marks as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)