Why do people drink, smoke do drugs? (1 Viewer)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't see why it's so hard to understand.

People do things that are potentially bad for them because it makes them feel good.

Smoking, drinking, illegal drugs, caffeine, sex, hell even eating sugary and fatty food. They all set off certain sensors in your brain that make you feel good (at different levels, obviously. A krispy kreme is not going to have you orgasming out your fingertips).

Tim035

HSC
How else do you plan on getting laid outside of a long term relation?

3usch

HSC
getting loose with your mates having fun probably the greatest thang ever

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There is a huge range of intoxication between getting a buzz on and passing out, not everyone drinks till they throw up.</SPAN>
+1

Hell, I've just come back from a party a few hours ago where everyone was drunk, and yet no one threw up, or passed out. It definitely helps when people aren't feeling emotional though, because that's often when shit starts to happen.

korsyn01

HSC
Why dont you just try it and make up your own mind.
+ 1

I was like and thought that all of the above were stupid ideas that merely wasted life. In all honesty drinking is actually quite fun, and in moderation is relatively alright-ish :p It gives you a bit of lucidity and in a party especially it allows everyone to loosen up.

But drugs and smoking are a bit too far out for me.

If smoking wasn't bad for you I'd do it, it looks so cool

antwan2

HSC
people do these things coz life can be sometimes boring. Cheap thrills of the physical being are the thrills that make life FUN! dont you hate it how religions and really uptight societys put stigma on these things and make them "the devil"? Life is meant to be lived to the absolute fullest, not just a depressing 80 or 90 years that we work in a crap job and end up in a nappy in some nursing home, waiting for the "better" "eternal life" that comes after death. so many religions focus on death. christianity is based on the fact that mankind is shit, EVERYONE sins and once we die, there is a better life. Drinking, drugs and alcohol allow us cheap ways to get out of ourselves and forget society, religion, death or if our bodys are getting hurt by what we do. sure, all of these "cheap thrills" can fuck you up, mind and body, but seriously, only after you hectically abuse them. going out and having a fun night with friends at a club, having some drinks...or a few more than some... is different from having 6 beers a night while your watching "hey hey its saturday" repeats. the simple answer to why people do it is that IT IS FUN! it sounds stupid, but seriously, try it. you will change your attitudes completely. By posting this thread ur obviously judging people on what they do, but havnt tried it for yourself. Go get pissed, have a smoke, do some things you will regret, and you will be a much better person for it. i garuntee.

oh by the way u should read "the picture of dorian gray" fantastic book. ONe of the characters says a lot of philosophical shit, but its true...in my mind...

anyway ive had my rant.

sorry.

HSC
people do these things coz life can be sometimes boring. Cheap thrills of the physical being are the thrills that make life FUN! dont you hate it how religions and really uptight societys put stigma on these things and make them "the devil"? Life is meant to be lived to the absolute fullest, not just a depressing 80 or 90 years that we work in a crap job and end up in a nappy in some nursing home, waiting for the "better" "eternal life" that comes after death. so many religions focus on death. christianity is based on the fact that mankind is shit, EVERYONE sins and once we die, there is a better life. Drinking, drugs and alcohol allow us cheap ways to get out of ourselves and forget society, religion, death or if our bodys are getting hurt by what we do. sure, all of these "cheap thrills" can fuck you up, mind and body, but seriously, only after you hectically abuse them. going out and having a fun night with friends at a club, having some drinks...or a few more than some... is different from having 6 beers a night while your watching "hey hey its saturday" repeats. the simple answer to why people do it is that IT IS FUN! it sounds stupid, but seriously, try it. you will change your attitudes completely. By posting this thread ur obviously judging people on what they do, but havnt tried it for yourself. Go get pissed, have a smoke, do some things you will regret, and you will be a much better person for it. i garuntee.

oh by the way u should read "the picture of dorian gray" fantastic book. ONe of the characters says a lot of philosophical shit, but its true...in my mind...

anyway ive had my rant.

sorry.
i really have nothing against anyone that smokes, drinks and do drugs, i just wanna get others opinions on why it happens that's all. :)

DJP92

HSC
Most people drink to find it easier to talk in social situations since you're more relaxed. From experience, I don't understand why some people get so drunk that they can't talk properly or stand up. It just makes you look like a complete jackass and doesn't really serve any useful purpose.

I guess smoking relaxes some people, others think its cool. Personally I think its a great way to slowly destroy your body, but thats just me.

Drugs are either just fun to use or are addictive. Alot of people addicted to drugs don't use them because they want to, they simply can't stop.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
smoking is relaxing and feel really satisfying sometimes, e.g. after a long shift at work.

drugs are fun in moderation (really that's the key with everything tbh) - even with thing that they always cause a fuss over in the media like meth and heroin (I havent tried them myself of course), it's not like you instantly become addicted upon trying them.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Because the unaltered consciousness of the human mind is fucking TERRIBLE

OBVIOUSLY

Tranasonic

Audiophile
HSC
Drink - Becauce it's a great way to relax. You become stupider, so everything will be funner.
Smoke - The odd Ciggarette is relaxing, however I can never come to terms smoking when I haven't been drunk.
Drugs - Fun, A Rush, Loose yourself.

All three are awesome together and in Moderation. And by moderation, I mean not every day, but you gotta to all, lots, Drinking one or 2 beers then calling it quits is like going to the movies, watching the trailers then going home, it's gay.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
If you haven't ingested at least 3 illicit substances at some point YOU ARE NOT A REAL PERSON

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Why do people do anything.

What motivates you? Money? Family? Good ol' hedonism?
Once you've removed all the fancy pants of life like emotions and moral compass through rational scrutiny - you are left naked in a room with a graph. On this graph is a LINE OF LIFE MAXIMISATION. Life is nothing but a collection of moments that can either be a) dull, b) moderately uplifting or c) maximised. Some people like to jump off cliffs with an umbrella. Some like to kick puppies. For some disturbed people, such things do not provide LIFE MAXIMISATION. These activities have little payoff, so it doesn't matter how many puppies they kick while manoeuvring their umbrella - the line on the graph is quite stubborn. Life is just not maximised.

This is where artificial means can be quite effective. Drinking, smoking and doing drugs is that genius at the computer screen. He looks at the graph and he doesn't like it. Rather than wasting time crunching numbers and data algorithms looking for a rational path to ignorant bliss, he puts his hand on the mouse, clicks on the graph and drags the line up. Life is maximised and the graph looks beautiful.
What an excellent post.

ForbiddenND

HSC
Drinking isnt too bad and its for dutch courage
Smoking is bad but is acceptable
Drugs fck you up so no idea why you would do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)