Why do school kids get free train passes while uni students don't? (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Because most uni students have jobs as opposed to school kids, so they can afford to pay for their ticket.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Gov't cbf paying out more $$$ for CSP students.
Case in point - Domestic full fee paying student pays around $30K per year (Engo)
CSP student pays around $8K per year.

HSC
On top of the many benefits we get as a CSP student, it is only on our choosing that we attend univeristy. Whereas education is compulsory up until Year 10 (with some exceptions) and therefore expected that the government compensate travel costs, university is optional. In that case, I don't think that the government should be held responsible to entitle free travel.

Yallaby1

HSC
On top of the many benefits we get as a CSP student, it is only on our choosing that we attend univeristy. Whereas education is compulsory up until Year 10 (with some exceptions) and therefore expected that the government compensate travel costs, university is optional. In that case, I don't think that the government should be held responsible to entitle free travel.
makes sense

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
you have to realise that some students who use the trains aren't actually of legal working age

Sendoh08

HSC
In my opinion,

Most uni students have more time, thus are able to get jobs and earn money for petty things like a train ticket. Where compared to school students, they dont have much spare time in getting jobs. Also they use most of this time studying to ace the HSC LOOOL

It is also the fact that most uni students are above the age of 18, where society now considers them as adult. As for school students, theyre mostly aged below 18, where they are categorised to be a child and still under parent's guidance.

I get what you mean, and it would be cool if uni students could get free train passes, but i dont see it coming in the near future LOOOL

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Half priced transport is still alright really. It should be cheaper for everyone though overall.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
higher % population educated => more service based economy & higher GDP
Subsidising transport costs generally doesn't increase the number of university students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)