Why does BOS censor competitor website names (1 Viewer)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I've never made a thread before, so I thought this would be a good one to begin with that can start some helpful discussion.

Does anyone know why bos censors the mentioning of a-t-a-r-n-o-t-e-s?

My cynical initial thought is that it's simply because they're a competitor, but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Nonetheless, it's my initial impression, and it seems rather anti-competitive and monopolistic, like imagine if Google banned all search terms related to Microsoft or Apple. It's a sensitive area particularly in this day and age where there's a lot of advocacy and debate around free speech and internet freedom. Censoring information you don't like, particularly something as harmless and trivial as this, just seems unnecessary given the ease of access to information available at our fingertips, and is something you'd expect in more oppressive countries. Not to mention, you can post words like "cunt" here which won't censored (though you could argue that it's a term of endearment in Australia /s), so the fact that the mentioning of a competitive forum takes precedence through the speech scrubber is kind of questionable.

I bring this up as someone as someone who is an HSC educator. As I want my students to succeed, I would like them to give them as much info as possible to all the possible resources. By limiting the information that can be posted, it makes it look like (at least on the outside) the website is prioritizing their internet traffic over genuinely helping students.

Like I said, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that's just the initial impression that I get. If someone has an alternative explanation, please feel free to share. My goal isn't to change anything - rather, I just wanted to hopefully start some helpful discussion.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Because they can and what u gonna do about it?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
^Literally contradicting the whole point of a thread meant for 'discussion'.

Anyway you have a point Sir Blyatman.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
If they advertise competitors, then the views will probably decrease and the views are probably what's important for external funding.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Both sites have the policy of not advertising rival sites. Its like if Microsoft start putting ads for Google.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)