Why is there a gap in atar? UTS vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
I was looking at unsw engineering(honours)/ computer sci and their guaranteed atar was 91 and UTS engineering (honours) and creative intelligence degree‘s LSR was 82.9? They’re both 5 years so I’m really confused about why there’s a gap in atar requirements. I thought UTS is better than UNSW in the IT/engineering field..

Qeru

HSC
I was looking at unsw engineering(honours)/ computer sci and their guaranteed atar was 91 and UTS engineering (honours) and creative intelligence degree‘s LSR was 82.9? They’re both 5 years so I’m really confused about why there’s a gap in atar requirements. I thought UTS is better than UNSW in the IT/engineering field..
UNSW is more academically inclined and is also GO8 whereas UTS is more pratical (from what I heard) and isn't as 'prestigious.' (although prestige doesnt really mean much in Australia).

quickoats

HSC
hey i heard it from others. Especially for it
IT at UTS vs CS at UNSW are 2 different things. IT at UTS seems more professionally focused (9 month placement for everyone) but is less technically focused than UNSW CS i.e. no maths etc

Deadinside

HSC
N/A
What about computing science at UTs and computer science at unsw
IT at UTS vs CS at UNSW are 2 different things. IT at UTS seems more professionally focused (9 month placement for everyone) but is less technically focused than UNSW CS i.e. no maths etc

Zynb.A

HSC
It's because more people apply to the engineering course at UNSW than the engineering course at UTS. UNSW needs to make it's guaranteeed atar higher because there is only a certain amount of available spots.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
It's about demand and the number of places available. The ATAR cut-off is not (directly) correlated to a courses quality.

I've done an Info Tech degree at UTS with an 86 ATAR cut-off and a Commerce degree at USYD with a 96 ATAR cut-off. Different disciplines but USYD wasn't markedly better as a whole.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
UNSW is more academically inclined and is also GO8 whereas UTS is more pratical (from what I heard) and isn't as 'prestigious.' (although prestige doesnt really mean much in Australia).
no dumb dumb

its all about supply and demand

UNSW get more applicants so they need a higher cut off in order to get the required number of students

Qeru

HSC
no dumb dumb

UNSW get more applicants so they need a higher cut off in order to get the required number of students
Thats super obvious. Answer this, why do they have a higher demand?

quickoats

HSC
Thats super obvious. Answer this, why do they have a higher demand?
Sometimes it’s a cyclical thing. Sometimes a “high cutoff” will artificially inflate the demand. Esp with selective students, they will not want to ‘waste’ their ATAR. e.g. BAdvSc is identical to BSc except for one extra subject done in first year except AdvSc is like 15 ATAR points higher to attract 95+ers who would otherwise NEVER choose the 80+ BSc option. And yes some people think the higher ATAR courses are better - I had someone tell me that unsw actl was better than MQ because the cutoff was 97.5 vs 97.....

quickoats

HSC
no dumb dumb

I think it’s not necessarily just supply demand for most courses now that places are uncapped (might not have been the case when you were in y12) - cutoffs seem like an arbitrary line drawn by unis nowadays.

However courses like med etc with limited spots would exhibit a more natural supply and demand interaction.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Doesn't the atar profile show that UNSW engineering and comp sci has a median of like 95 lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)