why on earth (1 Viewer)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
are textbooks so expensive?! and mine aren't even as bad as others!! i think they're way overpriced, it's bullshit

on another note, why is our bookshop so godamn tiny? i thought i'd get my econ textbook today since it's friday and no one comes, but there was a huuuge line to buy books, and just after i entered the shop, the lady at the door stopped letting people in..by the time i got out, there was a ridiculous line coming out the shop..THIS IS ON A FRIDAY :eek:

Pilgrim

HSC
yeah i walked past it the other day and the line was huge, apparently you can buy them online. true?

rific

HSC
Just don't buy them, or use the library copies, or wait a few weeks for it to settle down, or go to the co-op in town (it's better too).

But yes, online is available from UCB or Co-op

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Every semester I buy textbooks
Every semester they're not mentioned on any course documents except the outline
Some semesters the tutor mentions how shit they are
Every semester I swear I won't buy them next time
Every semester I buy them again :(

em_516

bludging..
HSC
rific said:
Just don't buy them, or use the library copies, or wait a few weeks for it to settle down, or go to the co-op in town (it's better too).

But yes, online is available from UCB or Co-op
well thankfully, i generally don't even need to get textbooks..a lot of my courses just have readings that can be found in the library or online..but i get the occassional subject where each week is one or two chapters of a particular book and i'd rather own it in those cases

it just shits me off how expensive they are and how many there are out there that are over $100, esp. when they're ones that are quite tiny! :|

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
2 subjects = $400 :s

As for the lines, I got mine in o-week...I rarely buy all the books anymore, I'm at the point of being able to flick through them and know whats good and what I'm likely to use (plus it helps having a mate in the year above me!)

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Mine were $413 for one subject.
Thank God I don't have to buy more books for that subject, they last me for the three years.
I was annoyed by the fact that the only place I could buy them was Lathams. Way to go uni/co-op bookshops, don't bother stocking music text books or anything.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
not even the co-op one in town? serious? i wouldn't have thought the uni campus one would have many, if any, music books, but you'd think the one in town would coz it's close to the conservatorium..but that said, lathams does make sense as well i suppose

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
all i have to say about the bookshop is:

learn to order enough books for the students in the course!! If there are 200 students enrolled in the course, and everybody needs this textbook, 50 copies will not be enough!!!!!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Does everybody buy them, though, SJ? My course, there is 35-40 of us, and they usually get in 15-20, coz they know not everyone will buy it..

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
totally understandable jess... for the say 15-20 people that wont buy it.... but for 150???? its a good textbook, so it would be silly not to buy it..... some people can get away with not doing it, but i like to have the books for future reference (which this one will be good for)

so yeah, i totally understand under ordering for the amount of people in the course, but 150 copies under is a little extreme don't you think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)