why why why???? (1 Viewer)

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
I hate to be a complainer but I'm desperate to know: why do I do so badly in physics exams? I like physics but I never do good in it. Okay I don't study that much but I do study the night before, and that's worked for other subjects... why not this one? I got 25/40 for my latest assessment :( And it was worth 26% too :eek:
I only have ~45% of assessment marks left including trials and I don't want to mess them up sooo, can anyone tell me how to do well in physics? (I don't mean the general "study every day" stuff, just specific advice for this subject)

Any help at all is appreciated!

kini mini

HSC
Without seeing your work it's hard to do more than guess. But I think that your problem may be that physics is not just about regurgitation of the material you've crammed the night before, it requires that information to be communicated in a certain style. Mastering that technique is the most difficult part of doing well in physics and chemistry.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
yeh, especially with a science, you got to understand what you are learning
the easiest thing is to memorise stuff, the hard part is to apply it to what the question is asking
esp for the band 6 questions such as analyse and stuff like that

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Also the best thing for you to do is to find out what your weak spots are (i.e. where your marks are lost) and try to improve them by practising. For example, if it's the formulas and applying th to solve problems you find hard, practise as many of these as possible (e.g. from past papers) and compare your solutions to the answers to see where you went wrong. Also you can ask any questions you're having trouble with on this forum. If on the other hand your weak spot is answering the "wordy" type questions (like myself), then all I can say is still practise and try to bring up as much relevant material in the test as you can. Also ask your teacher if you have any questions you want help on.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
if you've done well in other subjects, then i'm guessing your not too bad at the actual technique in answering crappy hsc questions like "analyse the impact of dum di dah..."
(if it is, then there's nothing else but to cram a bit more, then regurgitate it betta ^^)

for most ppl who screw up phys, it's because they don't understand the subject as a whole. They'll do a calculation and write it down without thinking about what it means; remember physics is about how the world works (and you do know how it works, without the need for formulae) - so if you get answers like, the rocket falls upwards, or you need a 3000000m TV antenna, it's probably wrong~ ^^
Have a read through the module chapters way before exams (don't worry if u have no idea, just read thru them) to get a 'feel' for the chapter. (Who knows, maybe a detail might stick in ur brain while you're at it =)) Don't bother memorising formulae; they're all on the data sheet anyway, but practise using them a couple of times. Cramming for phys will only work if you have a general grasp for the concepts in the first place.... well, in my experience anyway =)

btw even if u only have 45% of ur assessment left, you still have hsc to go, so it's not too bad =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)