Will I be disadvantaged if I pick esl (1 Viewer)

XXXPUMPERXXX

HSC
Uni Grad
So I came to australia last year and all of my subjects are going great but english and my school did not provide esl so I couldn't pick it but now I am thinking about transferring to another school which has esl . But one of my friends said universities won't pick me and I will be disadvantaged compared to people who do english standart does anyone know anything about this ? I am year 12 btw

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
No, I don't think that's correct. Your ATAR is what universities care about the most.

I was going to do ESL myself but I had timetable problems which made me pick Standard. I ended performing decently in Standard (band 5) with a 92+ ATAR and am now studying a 95 ATAR course. The reason I'm telling you this is because Standard isn't really that much harder than ESL (at least that was my experience). Standard has everything minus the listening test. So maybe you could give Standard a go?

But yeah, ESL shouldn't affect your chances of receiving uni offers.

XXXPUMPERXXX

HSC
Uni Grad
No, I don't think that's correct. Your ATAR is what universities care about the most.

I was going to do ESL myself but I had timetable problems which made me pick Standard. I ended performing decently in Standard (band 5) with a 92+ ATAR and am now studying a 95 ATAR course. The reason I'm telling you this is because Standard isn't really that much harder than ESL (at least that was my experience). Standard has everything minus the listening test. So maybe you could give Standard a go?

But yeah, ESL shouldn't affect your chances of receiving uni offers.
Oh I thought esl was way easier than english standard there is no difference then thanks

catha230

HSC
Oh I thought esl was way easier than english standard there is no difference then thanks
EALD is NOT easier than Standard. Not at all. EALD students basically do the same texts as Standard and for essay writing, you're only given 30 mins for each essay. The course is intended for students who have studied English since primary school like those from Hong Kong or going to international schools since very young (a teacher + HSC marker told me) so in order to do well in EALD you have to have a great command of the language. It's not like you learn about grammar or spelling like what year 8s or 9s here do for literacy.

ezOolong

HSC
PLEASE PICK ESL AS LONG AS YOU CAN

You’ve got the greatest advantage at your hand and never let go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)