Work at the Big 6 Law Firms (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
So what type of work is typically involved with these firms? Does it involve court appearances or just writing up contracts, patents etc?

izzy88

HSC
So what type of work is typically involved with these firms? Does it involve court appearances or just writing up contracts, patents etc?
Variety of work depending on which area/department you work in. Most (all) have litigation departments (ie. you will go to court, although a lot of work settles before court, or in mediation etc). There are then Intellectual property department, banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions so writing contracts etc. It really does depend on what department you go to - there will be lawyers who never set foot in court and others that do relatively frequently.

Realistically the big firms do most things in the corporate law world - what they don't do is criminal law or generally work for individuals (wills, family law) etc. Although they may have an employment practice (but will generally work for the organisations).

My advice would be to look at the firm websites to see their practice areas. If you have slightly more specific questions I can attempt to help out a bit more :)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
anyone watch suits? how accurate is their depiction of law grads, terminology, work processes etc?

lawstu

HSC
anyone watch suits? how accurate is their depiction of law grads, terminology, work processes etc?
Not very. Just the premise of the show is a big no-no in real life. Other than that, a lot of it's just highly glamorised fiction.

From what I've experienced and to the best of my limited knowledge, people don't do things that would might be awkward or unprofessional such as getting or being intimate with colleagues; most things are settled out of court, and just that takes forever and can be dear; people tend to keep to their work and only their work - people are on par as to collegiality or friendliness as well as cut-throat and cocky. IRL, there's so much more computer usage - researching, writing, and dealing with paperwork - and of course not everyone can be a fashion model (needs no saying, lol?). Billing works differently from TV. (As an aside, billing can be a pretty controversial topic.)
Also in real life, solicitors and barristers are not half as charismatic or room-dominating as TV attorneys. If you were to pull some of the things that TV attorneys do, you'd find yourself in contempt of court quite a bit. Furthermore, a lot of the things that go on in the show could get you terminated or even stricken from rolls.
Work-life balance is fiction too. As is the wealth and luxury. (But considering no one has time to spend it, I guess that's okay.)

People watch TV for entertainment, not so much realism, especially if it, to the majority of reasonable people, incredible monotonous and dull. There are interesting stats regarding attrition, burnout, and turnover. Almost everyone who goes into corporate/commercial stays for at least one year; but, after that, about 2 or 3 years in, not that many stick around.

Salaries might look high and hugely appealing but the remuneration isn't anything given the brutally long hours. You might even be better compensated, on an hourly basis, if you were working retail. Objectively, in terms of a number, the truth is graduate lawyers in top-tier law firms aren't all that well compensated.

BTW, if you're pretty much in the law for money, work hard and get headhunted, or try to get hired, by a boutique law firm. You'll be so glad and so much better than working in a multinational firm. If you're in it for the thrill of the court room to engage in clever repartee and deliver mind-blowing arguments, good luck with that. Sorry to shatter any illusions and to better inform you of reality.

Or go into academia, where you can sort of be your own boss, have your own ideas, and your own hours.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope obviously everyone wants to be David Gonski - make partner at 25 with 5 mil remuneration. All good.

lawstu

HSC
Nope obviously everyone wants to be David Gonski - make partner at 25 with 5 mil remuneration. All good.
Haha, I guess that's the dream for some. For the vast majority, it'll only be a dream.

God, Gonski's somewhat of a legend, so much of a legend that it's scary. In researching UNSW Law, I learnt that not only was Gonski amongst the top in pretty much every stage of his life before his employment at Freehills but he was the curve setter in pretty much every exam during his time at UNSW and was of an entirely different echelon of brilliance, a cut above the rest. What's more is that he was (and remains) so well-rounded and wasn't focused on the money but, rather, just the work.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
wooooow quick google search proves Gonski as beast

do you why hes got a slight pommy accent? sounds exactly like a family friend we have who moved from england to sydney yeeeears ago

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
wooooow quick google search proves Gonski as beast

do you why hes got a slight pommy accent? sounds exactly like a family friend we have who moved from england to sydney yeeeears ago
Not Pommy it's South African.

Bobbo1

HSC
Variety of work depending on which area/department you work in. Most (all) have litigation departments (ie. you will go to court, although a lot of work settles before court, or in mediation etc). There are then Intellectual property department, banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions so writing contracts etc. It really does depend on what department you go to - there will be lawyers who never set foot in court and others that do relatively frequently.

Realistically the big firms do most things in the corporate law world - what they don't do is criminal law or generally work for individuals (wills, family law) etc. Although they may have an employment practice (but will generally work for the organisations).

My advice would be to look at the firm websites to see their practice areas. If you have slightly more specific questions I can attempt to help out a bit more :)
Oh ok, this helps. Ty!

lawstu

HSC
Yeah that's what I was wondering, he came from south africa, but has slight pommy accent
Any sort of South African English accent is markedly different from any British English accent, whatever that (a Pommy accent) is.

There may be many significant phonetic and phonological similarities to an untrained ear, and there may not be. I'll grant you the fact that it may sound the same sometimes, but South African English also sounds like New Zealand English and Australian accents at times.

Gonski's family moved during his formative years of language development. When he moved to Australia, presumably, until his mid-teen years, his accent gradually shifted to one reflecting his new environment. Nevertheless, he retains a smidgen of his South African accent — a fact that makes him pretty cool and different from the rest of us, haha.
izzy88 said:
My advice would be to look at the firm websites to see their practice areas. If you have slightly more specific questions I can attempt to help out a bit more
Definitely do this, Bobbo1.

There's something on this page http://www.lawsociety.com.au/resources/Reports/Handbookaguidesbooks/index.htm that lists firms in NSW and details such as the size of the firm (nos. partners and associates), office locations, and areas of specialty. Some big firms do have their fingers in non-commercial areas of law as well but by no means as much as they do commercial and companies (corporate) law. The listing doesn't say how much of the firm is focused on areas of specialty, so take it with a grain of salt.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
David Gonski's son is apparently a bit of a genius as well. Oh, and guess what? He's at Freehills. :p

Suits is NOTHING like top-tier environment. izzy and I can probably attest to that. Might be the reason why there aren't too many Suits-loving lawyers. It glamorises law (as do other tv shows, The Good Wife, Boston Legal).

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
David Gonski's son is apparently a bit of a genius as well. Oh, and guess what? He's at Freehills. :p

Suits is NOTHING like top-tier environment. izzy and I can probably attest to that. Might be the reason why there aren't too many Suits-loving lawyers. It glamorises law (as do other tv shows, The Good Wife, Boston Legal).
way to crush a persons spirits... hehehe

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Aspiring to be David Gonski is a bit like saying you'll be Mark Zuckerberg simply because you do some programming...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)