Work Experience and Internships (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
Hi,

to all the journalist people or others in the media field, who are doing the B of Communications at UTS.

I've heard how greatly important it is to pursue as much work experience in the industry as oen can get. I'm interested in television journalism, namely, Channel Nine, Seven and ABC.

How hard is it to have Work Experience positions at these places? How highly sought after are they? How popular?

thanks in advance.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
Hi,

to all the journalist people or others in the media field, who are doing the B of Communications at UTS.

I've heard how greatly important it is to pursue as much work experience in the industry as oen can get. I'm interested in television journalism, namely, Channel Nine, Seven and ABC.

How hard is it to have Work Experience positions at these places? How highly sought after are they? How popular?

thanks in advance.
Well there are several internship subjects so that you can do up to a year of industry experience in your degree (depending on the strand) if you so choose - so in that manner its very very easy as you just pick the subject. Finding internships independently is harder though (I'd imagine this is especially true in free-to-air television) - if you somehow get offered one it would be a good idea to take it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
For journalism, I am pretty sure you have to find the internship yourself before you even enrol in a subject like Professional Practice.

To get an internship at those places you mentioned is extremely difficult. At the ABC, you have to sit an exam, go through an interview with a board of interviewees (not just one)... and that is just to get an internship there, not a job. There is also a lot of politics involved with it all too... I know extremely capable people who didn't get an internship at the ABC who really really were deserving. It's really tough. They only offer a couple of placements a year.

The only people I have heard doing placements at the commercial TV networks are people who have connections there... I don't know much about that though, so someone else might have more of an idea. I think SBS might run some sort of internship program as well...

But never underestimate work experience... I did a week at a suburban paper last year, I now have a full time job there as a print journalist. Also getting involved with community and student media looks great on your CV, 2SER is a fantastic training ground if you are interested in radio. There's that new community TV station TVS, that could be a good place for TV experience.

shimmy&shine

HSC
thanx ash for your advice.

I'm glad to say that I have a work experience position in the nine network newsroom in willoughby. thankfully i live real close. i also got offered a place on nine's Today show, but i chose the newsroom. :)

Thank you! I've been very lucky. yeah, conncections are so improtant to get your foot in the door.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)