work experience (1 Viewer)

L

lala91

any ideas on where should i do work experience?!
one of our teachers recommended not to do it at some normal retail store or whatever cos its a waste of time.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Think of what kinda career you want to pursue (or even just a field you're interested in) and start calling potential work experience places to enquire. It doesn't matter much because if you hate it, it's only a week and at least you'll know that that kinda career would not be for you.

Otherwise, you can apply for additional work experience later anyway.

Phyuk_Yiu

http://co.bos.error2-1337
HSC
I recommend applying early if your looking for something serious, back when i did it, i called up the CSIRO and their work exp program was booked out for the whole year.
And at the end of the day just get something, i failed to do so and am finding it hard to get a job now that im 18.

L

lala91

Phyuk_Yiu said:
I recommend applying early if your looking for something serious, back when i did it, i called up the CSIRO and their work exp program was booked out for the whole year.
And at the end of the day just get something, i failed to do so and am finding it hard to get a job now that im 18.
yea...large companyies which actually have work exp. programs have them booked for pretty much a year ahead. i could have booked with a magazine company last yr, but i could be bothered!

lilou

HSC
wok experience in retail at the end of year nine worked out well for me! I ended up working in the shop for over two yers because they were impressed and asked me to stay on after work experience! then later on, you can do work experience in the feild you want to work in later on! Many of my friends got jobs in retail from work experience!

The benefit from this is that you have both relevant work experience in your desired field (from yr 10 or 11) PLUS a few years employment in retail to wow employers over with when you seek a 'real' job!

It worked for me- I got a job at a Big 4 accounting firm! The were impressed that I had held down a steady job in retail from a young age! It showed good work ethic etc...

Work experience can be a great way for young people (I was 14!) to get a decent part time job (working in a fashion store is better than at McDonalds with the other 15 year olds!)!

Just something to keep in mind!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Did it in Sydney Uni vet department. It kicked ass with all the labs and field work. Relatives or friends are the best way to get work experience.

Tete-De-Chou

HSC
Definitely get W.E, no matter what. Retail is pretty good for getting offered jobs from what I've heard.
I did W.E twice over two years, once as a vet nurse, and once at Taronga Zoo =).
Try to get it at something your interested in, if you're good it can lead to work or volunteer work.
But as long as you get W.E you'll be better off than those who haven't.

"Chubby"

HSC
i recommend doing it somewhere you would want to pursue a career in. If your school gives 2 wks work exp...and you want a casual job atm i say one wk at a store where u can get a casual job and one wk doing it somewhere you'd like to be in the future.

Back in yr 10, i did one wk at a primary school and one wk at big w. I had aspirations to be a primary teacher back then and i got a casual job afterwards at big w and i'm still there till this day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)