working with animals (1 Viewer)

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Hopefully someone can assist... and also that I've put this in the right spot :)

I've been looking into this for quite some time.. I'm not at all interested in the agricultural/production side of things, rather the animal welfare, handling and interaction aspects + research. I know there are TAFE courses, but I really want the science components.

From what I've looked into, the UWS program/s seem most appropriate, however I'd really appreciate anyones expereinces with these or any other unis.

:)

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Well I can only speak for UNSW, since I know hardly anything about other unis. My biological science major is made up of mostly zoology and ecology courses, which I quite enjoy (most of the time...I like the zoology stuff a lot more than ecology, but it comes down to personal preference I guess). Of course there are some set subjects you have to do, and there's always one subject each semester that I hate, but the good outweighs the bad.

If you go here, that gives you a sense of what kinds of subjects you might study if you chose to major in biological science :) They definitely give you the science aspects. (If the link doesn't work, Google the UNSW online undergraduate handbook, and type 'BIOS*' into the 'DirectFIND' box on the left then click 'more' when the list first comes up).

However one thing I do wish there was more of in my degree is living animals in the labs - mostly we look at skeletons, preserved specimens and dissections, which are still interesting but...I prefer animals when they're alive :eek:

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Hopefully someone can assist... and also that I've put this in the right spot :)

I've been looking into this for quite some time.. I'm not at all interested in the agricultural/production side of things, rather the animal welfare, handling and interaction aspects + research. I know there are TAFE courses, but I really want the science components.

From what I've looked into, the UWS program/s seem most appropriate, however I'd really appreciate anyones expereinces with these or any other unis.

:)
USyd has good vet sci/animal bioscience stuff

UMelb, ANU best zoology departments, also UQ

for animal science, CSU or UQ

LaTrobe have zoology or animal/vet biosciences, also a good zoology department up at JCU

so are you thinking of actual research, as in becoming a graduate student/academic? :O

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Thank you both :) I shall look into these when I am feeling more awake!!

Chemical Ali, have you studied at any of those in particular or from things you've heard?

I guess the research thing, I had ideas of species conservation. I would love to work with pandas, so I'm imagining that would require post-grad study. I just don't know if animal sci is enough or whether that would be more zoology or vet sci.. The hands-on component of the UWS Animal Sci is what appeals to me most about it, which is why it's my first thought currently.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Thank you both :) I shall look into these when I am feeling more awake!!

Chemical Ali, have you studied at any of those in particular or from things you've heard?

I guess the research thing, I had ideas of species conservation. I would love to work with pandas, so I'm imagining that would require post-grad study. I just don't know if animal sci is enough or whether that would be more zoology or vet sci.. The hands-on component of the UWS Animal Sci is what appeals to me most about it, which is why it's my first thought currently.
I'm at Newcastle (final year undergrads)... we don't have much down that direction, unless you like frogs! That list is just from my own investigations into which unis have labs/groups working on wildlife or conservation research, since I'm interested in something like that for next year and beyond.

If you wanna be a conservation biologist, you're most likely to do an undergrad degree in biology... with zoology/ecology/conservation subjects where possible, then postgrad study. I can't tell you what that's like, because I haven't done it yet!

Also, there's some pretty good arguments for letting pandas go extinct, lol.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
I'm at Newcastle (final year undergrads)... we don't have much down that direction, unless you like frogs! That list is just from my own investigations into which unis have labs/groups working on wildlife or conservation research, since I'm interested in something like that for next year and beyond.

If you wanna be a conservation biologist, you're most likely to do an undergrad degree in biology... with zoology/ecology/conservation subjects where possible, then postgrad study. I can't tell you what that's like, because I haven't done it yet!

Also, there's some pretty good arguments for letting pandas go extinct, lol.
Hahaha, or mosquitos, right? -- not that they want saving (just finished there myself).

Thanks again for the info :) I'm going to see some careers person to try and fgure this out. All the best with yours!

HSC
i'm currently doing animal & vet bioscience at usyd.. and first year is not very impressive.. you do standard chem and bio, and then ag science subjects... that agricultural/production stuff that you said you weren't interested in at all .. and i'm not either :(

apparently its supposed to get more animal related, and there are alot of electives in future years...

i'm still unsure if i want to do this course though.. something to be investigated over the holidays :p

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I think animal + vet bioscience is a lot more related to animal husbandry and the like, whereas in a straight science degree you can major in biology/zoology and do courses on ecology, conservation ecology, genetics, etc etc.

At least, that was (sort of) my experience.

HSC
hmm maybe i'm doing the wrong course then, perhaps i should be doing straight science...... cause thats the type of thing i want to get into, this ag crap is well....... crap :(

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
hmm maybe i'm doing the wrong course then, perhaps i should be doing straight science...... cause thats the type of thing i want to get into, this ag crap is well....... crap :(
definitely... what Kwayera said is correct to the best of my knowledge. Anything called "animal science" will usually be more towards agriculture.

HSC
why didn't anyone tell me this before.... especially my careers advisor!!

although i suppose when i was in school i only wanted to do vet science, didn't really think about/know what else i wanted to do...

i think i'll look into these science courses... thanks for the info even though i'm not the original person who asked the question :p :D

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Um why didn't you look up the course description before you applied for it? Did you just look at the title?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Many Australian universities offer courses in indigenous cultural studies

HSC
Um why didn't you look up the course description before you applied for it? Did you just look at the title?
i did look at the course description, but either i didnt believe it, or didn't want to believe it because i couldn't find anything better... i always wondered about zoology/ecology but didn't know how to get into it... and also i was more looking at transferring into vet science rather than sticking with the animal science...

i dont know, its complicated, and stupid :p

looking at it just now it looks like if i change maybe 1 subject next semester i should be able to go into 2nd year science next year majoring in biology/zoology/ecology/whatever i decide... so no harm done :)

HSC
def transferring to b science majoring in biology :D

lol i'm sooo excited now... never been this excited about studying anything in my life (i'll probably regret saying this when i'm doing at least 2 bio subs a semester lol)... i always just study stuff cause i have to/i'm good at it but not cause i really like it you know? ..was looking up the 2nd and 3rd year units and theres actually too many i want to do... i've never had that problem before :p

thanks for making this thread :D

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

lol i'm sooo excited now... never been this excited about studying anything in my life (i'll probably regret saying this when i'm doing at least 2 bio subs a semester lol)... i always just study stuff cause i have to/i'm good at it but not cause i really like it you know? ..was looking up the 2nd and 3rd year units and theres actually too many i want to do... i've never had that problem before :p

welcome aboard the biology bandwagon :cool:

take plenty of courses in ecology & conservation, it's the true patriot's science

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC

So glad you have found something you are happy with!! :D

Looks like I still have no idea, but glad to help indirectly :p

From scouting around it does seem that "Animal Science" is quite a misleading term, and zoology might be the way to go :)

ben150891

HSC
im also doing animal science at sydney uni. the ag side is pretty crappy and boring. but the good side is all the good animal subjects you get to do next year. it gets better, first year of alot of degrees and crap because you have to do first year subjects that annoy you.

HSC
hey guys........ not sure if i should continue asking here or make a new thread for this, but here goes anyways.........

i've made my application to uac, with b science (adv) at usyd first preference (my uai isnt high enough but i hope they'll take into account first semester results??) ..... and then i'm wondering if if should put b science (adv) at unsw as 2nd preference (slightly lower uai), or stick with usyd??
i've had a bit of a look at their website and compared subjects and such, and i think i like the usyd subjects better, but based on first semester bio at usyd i don't think the school of biology is run very well, which can't be a good thing if i'm wanting to study bio............

so yeah, thoughts? experiences? i know someone already posted that they are studying bio at unsw.......... would you recommend it ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)