World Youth Day 08 (1 Viewer)

WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
World Youth Day is the largest youth event in the world and will be held in Sydney from Tuesday 15 to Sunday 20 July 2008.

WYD08 will be the largest event Australia has ever hosted. It will attract over 125,000 international visitors - more than the 2000 Olympics.

WYD08 will mark the first visit of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI to Australia and we look forward to welcoming him to the "Great South Land of the Holy Spirit".

Through the WYD08 experience, young people from throughout the world will make a pilgrimage in faith, meet, and experience the love of God.

World Youth Day is an invitation from the Pope to the youth of the world to celebrate their faith around a particular theme. Everyone is welcome to attend.
http://www.wyd2008.org/index.php/en

Wha'd'ya think? Who's going?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I think it'll be a bit of a pain in the city, but sounds like it's worth it (economically and culturally). Not going though... what's on there for atheist scums?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enteebee said:
I think it'll be a bit of a pain in the city, but sounds like it's worth it (economically and culturally). Not going though... what's on there for atheist scums?
http://www.wyd2008.org/index.php/en/wyd08_events

Tuesday 15 July 2008
Opening Mass celebrated by Cardinal George Pell, followed by Youth Festival events

Wednesday 16 - Friday 18 July 2008
Catechesis (teaching) sessions every morning and Youth Festival events in afternoon/evening

Thursday 17 July 2008
Arrival and welcome of the Pope on Sydney Harbour

Friday 18 July 2008
Stations of the Cross : a re-enactment of the last moments of Jesus' life

Saturday 19 July 2008
Pilgrimage walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge to Randwick Racecourse; Evening Vigil and sleep out 'under the stars'

Sunday 20 July 2008
Final Mass celebrated by the Pope

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I don't understand how this event attracts so many international visitors.

What is the major draw? Is the chance to see the pope so incredible? Will the final mass go off?

Wouldn't a pilgrimage to the vatican be a greater experience for your money?

Not ripping on it, I just can't understand the hype.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm just fooling
I was a little disheartened to see the prominence Guy Sebastian was getting in it, which could suggest that it will be a bit light-weight. But Catholicism is generally pretty heavy, and Pope Benedict XVI has said some awesome stuff in universities about religion's importance to truth. Im looking forward to some bigger, juicier themes aimed at our generation, namely condemnation of materialism, apathy etc. COld showers. I feel like we're a pretty aimless youth. I'm holding out for some direction

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
My guess would be... the catholic church is really struggling to keep the youth into its ranks so they've gone out of their way to create a festival that will draw in / solidify the youth in their faith. It has so much hype because that's what the catholic church wants, they want it to be their big event.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The fact that it's the largest youth event in the world says something about its success in drawing in young people. It's not just a sinister cradle snatching. Youth are very responsive to it

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Iron said:
The fact that it's the largest youth event in the world says something about its success in drawing in young people. It's not just a sinister cradle snatching. Youth are very responsive to it
Whether we want to view it as 'sinister' or not, can u deny that its goal in the end is the strengthening of the catholic church? :|

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Its goal is spreading the word to youth, which is their entire purpose of existence?
You and your power games. So cynical ntb.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Gosh, I'm glad I'm taking a taking a holiday just before the silly event started.

Oh and yeah I know my parents are going, because they're Catholic and retarded. :)

boris

Banned
HSC
Yeah, so, wow, staggering statistics. Don't wet your pants with excitement when you get there Iron.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Won't go. I'm not Catholic. Doesn't look like there's much to do if you aren't, and maybe I'm being overly cynical but the potential for evangelist weirdos to try and convert you seems pretty high, do not want.

It seems like they're just saying "everyone is welcome" because it would be un-christian of them to bar anyone from attending. But really, how can you participate fully in the events if you don't subscribe to the religion that the whole thing is built around? It's not like you can rock up and make your way to the atheist tent or whatever.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope, not going.

I don't have a problem with the event though, if people want to engage in some orgy of delusion then good luck to them. As long as they keep away from me.

What i do strongly resent however is the use of taxpayer funds to help pay for such an event. Last time i checked the Catholic Church was not exactly poor, and in any case government should not be subsidising religion.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Orgy of delusion! That's the harshest thing i've ever heard you say Rafster.

The goodwill and tourist$ for the city more than justify government assistance imo.

I think that if Christianity is to have any continued relevance in the 21st century, then Christians need to at least be comfortable around eachother (let alone other people of faith). There are far far greater evils in the world that only religious people have the will and conviction to recognise and fight

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Someone told me that at the last WYD [which was in Germany] the national supply of condoms ran out.

Someone told me this after I signed up.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Rafy, you realise how much money there is to be made through this right?

Anyway I won't be going, but let's organise our own world youth day! With blackjack...and hookers!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Road closures are going to be similar to APEC, and numerous of the details have yet to be released due to security concerns.

I'm aware that thousands of pilgrims will be staying on Catholic primary schools around the city, with porta-a-loos, showers, matresses and caterers...It's going to be quite big.

I'm glad that the government and people of Australia are both welcoming of the idea, and that we haven't turned into some sort of state that because of a minority who may get upset, do not support it.

I wish the day every success and hope that it gives a fresh change, and value for the Catholic youth of Sydney. I hope it brings (in part) an end to ultra-consevrative traditional churches that do not promote change.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
JaredR said:
I wish the day every success and hope that it gives a fresh change, and value for the Catholic youth of Sydney. I hope it brings (in part) an end to ultra-consevrative traditional churches that do not promote change.
What change from tradition? It's a celebration and reinforcement of faith for young people. It's about the things that never change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)