worried and need advice (1 Viewer)

wLym

HSC
hi, i started off ok with english, getting a 13/15 score for my first essay. after getting back my recent english essay, to my horror i did not score very well. 9/15. My concerns lie in the fact that this actually counts to my hsc. I want to know, since this essay is worth 15% of the assessment mark, can i still achieve the band 6 i aspire for. I believe i did put in the work (sufficient for a good mark) for this essay, and am confused as to whether the downfall lies in:
a) it is a significantly big step from the first term of year 12
b) the recent change in teacher
c) I am not doing something right (please specify your thoughts would be greatly appreciated)
I have scored very well in my previous english essays in year 11, and topped the class. Somehow i cannot seem to maintain my top position when it seems to count.
I know the hsc is not the end of the road or necessarily the dictator of roads taken in life, but it has always been in my potential to do well in this hsc, and potential means doing my best ie succeeding - but i am not confident if it still is.
Could anyone please specify to how well i will have to do in future assessments (for english, my other subjects are doing preety good) to achieve a band 6 in english, and thus my high aims for a 98 or above UAI. Is it still possible?
Any help, comments, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Further query, do ppl have to achieve band 6 in all their 10 units to achieve a 98 above UAI

Thanks, wlym

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
hey, basically there is no point in mentally working out how much you need to get to get a band 6 bla bal bal - just work your hardest and try and get the highest mark you can achieve. That's the key.

Band 6 is certainly achievable as if you kick ass or do well consistently in the rest of your assessments, then of course i'ts perfectly possible!

In regards to why you got the 9/15 - you should definitely just ask the marker who marked your specific assessment, to discuss with you what you did that earned you that mark and what you should have done differently. Contemplating other miscellaneous reasons to blame for that mark won't do you any good, let alone help you improve for later assessments. Trust me, I went through this in year 12 when i did very very poorly in my first hsc assessment after coming 2nd in my class during yr 11.

And, with whether your aim of a band 6 in english is possible, I think it is, definitely. I ended up with a 89 in english and I wasn't doing consistently well in my school assessments, although I think I certainly kicked ass in the external exam in comparison to my internals.

Further query, do ppl have to achieve band 6 in all their 10 units to achieve a 98 above UAI

^ In answer to that question, of course not! You do not have to achiever all band 6's in all 10 units to get a 98 + uai, trust me.

Hope that helps.

wLym

HSC
Thank you v much for shedding some light on my concenrs. Yes i did some soul searching, and i know i cant let this bring my spirits down - after all, the hsc is where ppl try their hardest and the results not showing does not mean you are completely off-track. It is all fairly judged, sometimes it just comes down to some small error in judgement in doing the assessment.
I figured i cant let this stumble affect the bigger marks down the track. I am grateful my family did not react badly to this, as i should have known as they are always supportive.
It has been vital that I have realisesd and learned from my mistakes that i took the wrong approach to this assessment task. I need to come back to my old ways of memorising textual ideas and details, and then applying the thought processes and the pitchfork (identify, example, technique) method - which i admittedly lacked. Although i did apply quotes, techniques and ideas in my essay, i did not apply them enough, but i am still confused as to how this small lacking could affect my mark so significantly.
Right now, i need to add to my 'repoitoire' of making it a practise to seek advice from more than one source(english teachers around the school), not just my teacher. I think in my over confidence i did not seek the help i probably needed.

" I ended up with a 89 in english and I wasn't doing consistently well in my school assessments, although I think I certainly kicked ass in the external exam in comparison to my internals."

i congratulate you on your exellent eforts!

ty again, your words helped v much

from will

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
haha, not a problem - it just takes time to get into that mindset where you realise you may not always do as well as you hoped/though to do.

just as long as you persist, you should be fine!

oh and thanks, looking back - english really wasn't tooooo bad, you just need to know hwat the markers want to hear/read.

good luck this year!

wLym

HSC
shoxgeneration said:
haha, not a problem - it just takes time to get into that mindset where you realise you may not always do as well as you hoped/though to do.

just as long as you persist, you should be fine!

oh and thanks, looking back - english really wasn't tooooo bad, you just need to know hwat the markers want to hear/read.

good luck this year!
Hey sorry it took me so long to reply, i have just been away from computer for a little while.
Yea, ive started some after school/out of class sessions with 2 different teachers. It really helps me think deeper into the subject, and is much more enjoyable than just going to class to learn about the subject.

what im worried about now is what to do with my 4 unit math? should i drop down to 3 unit or should i drop business/physics? What im saying here is what happens if i do badly in 4 unit math? Will it only count the 3 unit and my other subjects? or does it have to count 4 unit (ie im doing an extra subject for nothing)?

lol as you can see i do a lot of worrying ;)

And thanks for the good luck. Good luck back. so hows ur post school expeirence? hows uni treating u?

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
well that's good then, the more 1-1 specific help with your teachers, the better understanding you'll get with the subject.

so how many units do you do then? if you do 12 or less, you really shouldn't be dropping the 4u maths. seriously. unless you're like an absolute failure at it or something... you know? so unless you're not coping, there is no need to drop as it scales very very well, so you may think you're not doing that well comparatively to your other subjects, but in fact you are since it is such a difficult subject.

Personally, I've always regretted not doing 4U maths, I did just 3U as I was scared that 4U may have been too difficult. Doing 4U maths, means you're technically doing 4U (1unit) and 3U maths (3units), so those count as separate entities.

So basically, why are you contemplating that you should drop a subject?!

Post-school, best thing EVER. Uni is indeed the bomb, just got back from fluoro-party @ the roundhouse tonight, it was mega-awesome.

wLym

HSC
shoxgeneration said:
well that's good then, the more 1-1 specific help with your teachers, the better understanding you'll get with the subject.

so how many units do you do then? if you do 12 or less, you really shouldn't be dropping the 4u maths. seriously. unless you're like an absolute failure at it or something... you know? so unless you're not coping, there is no need to drop as it scales very very well, so you may think you're not doing that well comparatively to your other subjects, but in fact you are since it is such a difficult subject.

Personally, I've always regretted not doing 4U maths, I did just 3U as I was scared that 4U may have been too difficult. Doing 4U maths, means you're technically doing 4U (1unit) and 3U maths (3units), so those count as separate entities.

So basically, why are you contemplating that you should drop a subject?!

Post-school, best thing EVER. Uni is indeed the bomb, just got back from fluoro-party @ the roundhouse tonight, it was mega-awesome.
ye i do 12 units. Im a bandwagon person, just about everyone in our year is doing 10 units so i was contemplating i should hop on board.
And Im one of those people taht is not good at comparisons. Even if i do well comparitavely for 4 unit, ill look at the mark and shit myself because its not in the 90's. Itll be an interesting year for me to learn to get things into perspective. Im sure year 12 will turn out to be a helpful growing experience for me. I think ill see how i go in the half yearlys. Ive decided not to drop the 4 unit, but if i go badly in business, i might drop it. Having 2 studies will help a lot with doing those extra exercises i need to do for my math.
Lol and yes, ill be looking forward to uni. good to hear youre having a good time. fluoro party sounds mega awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)