writing your own notes (1 Viewer)

popsmokeswife

HSC
Is writing your own notes worth it and important?

Cause obviously theres tons of pre made notes but is it better to write your own?

Idk, after i come home from school i usually write notes for each subject based of class work but like i feel like im wasting time if i can find the same thing online lol lmk please

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
took a quick look at your subjects and definitely yes for the humanities. since it's so content heavy (i do modern) i enjoy making my own notes because i have to use my brain to make connections and organise the information, and it helps the content stick in my brain better. reading my own notes in the future helps me remember the content better because i'm remembering the content structured through my own thinking and not someone else's.

i also make my own notes for english, because of the same reason as the above and a lot of the times i end up not agreeing with some of the opinions being expressed in other people's notes and it feels like a waste to look through them. making my own notes for english allows me to pick my quotes and make it easier connect to the module than by looking at other people's notes. i think the only time i've looked at other people's notes that was actually helpful was because i needed help with identifying a few film techniques and that was it. i make my notes based on what i do in class + critical readings and then i use my brain to connect it to ideas in the module

ms_grape_taco

HSC
Like my english teachers says, there will always be resources out there for any subject if you search hard enough but, what makes writing notes a worthy exercise (if done properly) is trying to make those notes yours! You will need to understand them, make relationships and connections within the material and being able to remember them in a few days. I think writing notes are helpful but you will need to something else as well as that to be be on top of everything - making flashcards, doing essay plans, practice questions, mindmaps...

I write notes for most of my subjects, English, chem, phys, bio and eco (literally everything except math) and it's working well ig

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)