Wrongfully Convicted at 13 for Murder, Is Freed At Age 30 (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Convicted as a teen, US man freed after 16 years in prison

Arrested at 13 for a murder he didn't commit, Thaddeus Jimenez spent more than 16 years in jail before his conviction was tossed out and the man originally fingered for the crime was arrested.

Jimenez is believed to be the youngest person convicted of a crime who has been exonerated in the United States.

He was tried as an adult and sentenced to 45 years in jail -- despite the fact that an alleged accomplice in the murder insisted that another teen been the shooter and that police were provided with a tape in which that teen confessed.

According to news reports, prosecutors have charged Juan Carlos Torres, mpw 30, with the murder, and have filed papers for his extradition from Indiana, where he now resides.

Meanwhile, Jimenez, also 30, who went to prison baredly in his teens, returned to his mother's arms Friday a grown man.

"Oh my God I can't believe it. I can't believe he's here," Victoria Jimenez sobbed as she wrapped her arms around her son.

Jimenez clutched a piece of paper as he walked up to a podium in Chicago Monday to thank his family and his lawyers for working so hard to get him free.

"You'll have to excuse me if I fumble some of my words. I'm a little bit nervous," he told reporters.

"I'm happy to be alive today," he said as his mother wiped tears from her eyes and clutched his sister's hand.

"There are many more innocent men, women and children still in prison today. I hope my case can be studied and used to prevent other defendants -- especially juveniles -- from having to endure what I had to endure."
I don't know much about what happens to wrongfully convicted prisoners. What do wrongfully convicted people get when they are freed? What sort of compensation? Teach me. Educate me.

This guy essentially lost the best parts of his life to gaol. If I were the mother I would sue the living daylights out of everyone.

Discuss.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
wow this is just so sad.

well there was another case a while back, Do you know of the highly controversial Chamberlain case...? they found she was wrongfully imprisoned after a year and she somehow got $1 million compensation.

But this case wow..just so sad ruined a young man's childhood.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Imagine how socially awkward you would be from now on. Between 13 and now I have done so much growing, and if I had those years while incarcerated, I can't even fathom it. It's pretty much the best years of your life. And it's not like it will get better since you're socially inept and trying to adjust etc.

Yep. Several million bucks I'd sue them for.

Last edited:

Nanasaurus

HSC
uhm, i'm pretty sure there's compensation. however, i think this would almost be insulting to someone in that situation. stupid flawed justice system... -.-

akrinis

HSC
Stories like this make me very angry. An innocent man was jailed and is never going to take back all those years which he lost. Every exonnerated person should be highly compensated.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
uhm, i'm pretty sure there's compensation. however, i think this would almost be insulting to someone in that situation. stupid flawed justice system... -.-
I could be wrong, but i don't think you get any compensation... just a 'yea, we fucked up, sorry' (from the queen?) and that's it, unless you really push for it. Does anyone know for sure?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Moments like this remind me of my hatred of this world.

I Study Hard

HSC
That is terrible x_x I would hope that they would compensate him. Why would they even try a 13 year old as an adult?? And how could they ignore the boy you said someone else was the shooter, especially when the boy confessed >.>;; @Who ever mentioned the Chamberlain case - While it was sad it was also very different wasn't it? All the evidence pointed to her killing the baby, in this case the evidence clearly pointed to the fact that he didn't do it? Although what happened to her was very sad.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
They would have to compensate him.

Shit if that was me, id be suing everyone i could see.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
No amount of money will get this guys life back.

Other than covering legal expenses and providing enough money each year to have fun with (because he wont be fit to work), then I don't see what millions and millions of dollars will do...

...other than setting up a foundation to support those wrongfully accused through the legal system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)