Wto (1 Viewer)

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
"Assess the Significance of the World Trade Organization in Promoting Free Trade, starting from the conception of GATT to the current day."

Thats an essay question, could i please get some help for it? I could do around 5-6 paragraphs, but then i got stuck. Someone care to give me more suggestions on what i should add to the essay?

monkey187

God
HSC
i would just say the GATT General Agreement for Trade and Tariffs has promoted global trade by reducing protection around the world. this can be see with the significant increase in trade in the global econamy ( chuck stats here ). GATT was a predecessor of the new organisation WTO ( crap on about what the wto does like deregulation, removal of tarrifs, formation of trading blocks and so forth ). this has been done to promote globalisation (definition and crap) as free trade is an important part of globalisation which is the new trend or sum crap like that. then i would state changes in the trade flows since the past like the value of commodities to manafactured goods showing benefits and costs using Aus and Japan as examples. Then i would explain the limited progress the WTO has actually achieved as the EU and NAFTA still have strong barriers up and shit and so forth

saves.the.day

HSC
"Assess the Significance of the World Trade Organization in Promoting Free Trade, starting from the conception of GATT to the current day."

Talk about when GATT was first implemented. How it affected free trade. Asses that there were problems with GATT as it had 0 enforcement powers. Then talk about how GATT also did not do anything to stop agricultural protection. THen move onto the Uruguay round of 1995 which gave GATT the enforcement powers and we know know it to be WTO. Talk about how this has promoted free trade as countries are now stricter in implementing their policies. I'd throw in some statistics about Australia like how total units of goods exported has grown from 52,000 to 85,000 since 1990. Then move onto assesment of the DOHA round which is happening currently. Their policies include to give developing nations flexibility in implementing their policies then talk about how this affects free trade. This will stagnate free trade in developing nations but in long term, it will allow them to meet the economic demands of the global market resulting in longer term higher levels of free trade. DOHA also will remove agricultural protection. You could asses the impact of this as having the effect of wiping out inefficient industries but also promoting a more competitive market globally, increasing once closed agricultural markets etc.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I seriously doubt u would *ever* get such a limited essay question. But you may still get an essay qn that does ask yo to assess the WTO.

I would definitely make reference to the WTO as strong as its most reticent member, and it being hamstrung by the US/EU insistence on foregoing free trade/WTO policy for the sake of pursuing contradictory domestic policy.

It is also used as a political tool between the EU and the US. For instance, when the US put up tariffs that affected European farmers, the EU then used some WTO by-rule to put up *its* taxes even more and fine the US...It also put a specific tax on florida orange juice - knowing that florida would be a consitutuency most likely to harm the presidency. Both Eu/US take advantage of WTO rules against dumping etc so as to further their own political aims and try to get support from jaapn etc by offering other political incentives :rolleyes:, so in order for the WTO to really prevail it needs to take some action...I think there was talk of it trying to reform itself...but at the moment Doha round is in a bit of a stalemate :rolleyes:

is a roflcopter
HSC
would "assess the impacts of economic organisations on blah blah" be possible?

monkey187

God
HSC
Originally posted by saves.the.day
statistics about Australia like how total units of goods exported has grown from 52,000 to 85,000 since 1990.
umm what exactly do u mean 52,000 units to 85,000 units?!?!
does that mean like bags of wheat or tonns of coal or the number of thoes australian souviner T-shirts with the kangaroos n shit

Blondie

i dunoooo...i doubt anything so limited could come up. maybe...distribution of income, cos that was asked in a SA in 2001, or maybe a link bw infl/unemployment. i dunno. gluck tho.

is a roflcopter
HSC
funny if it was that or ESD
we're all stuffed :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)