Wuthering Heights! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Anyone out there who's done Wuthering Heights? If so...what is expected of us in this module? I had a quick skim through the "modules" thread...and it seems no one is doing it...bah...:eek:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I've done WH...compare and contrast different interpretations of the novel in relation to historical context...thats it in a nutshell :p

HSC
greeeeattt....do i have to draw any conclusions or anything? if that makes sense?
hey sarah u seem to be on every threat i visit...what subjects do u do?

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by charlie_charlie
greeeeattt....do i have to draw any conclusions or anything? if that makes sense?
hey sarah u seem to be on every threat i visit...what subjects do u do?
What sarah said is correct, I did it for prelim, your suppose to compare and contrast WH with Frankienstien (which was our other text). Conclusions need not be drawn unless the question specifically asks you to.

Sarah is on every thread because she is a chronic :spam:mer! :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
Sarah is on every thread because she is a chronic :spam:mer! :p
shut your mouth santa, you shouldnt talk!! :p

HSC
Hm, just a question for Wuthering Heights ppl (or any english person): what is liberal humanism? Every time my english teacher tries to explain it to me, i get more confused...so help? please?

Hey :),

The term liberal humanism is frequently interchangeable with Leavisite and Traditional Readings.

Liberal humanism focuses on a belief that there is a general consensus on what is human, moral and aesthetic. It concentrates on 'human truth' rather than technical issues. Traditional readings are meant to 'read' the novel in terms of plot, character, setting, style, structure, symbolism and themes etc. The Leavisite view believes that there is a "Great Tradition" of English literature which is at the pinnacle of other cultures etc. People sought a moral example from composers of literary texts, who had a superior sensibility and intellect.

Q.D. Leavis (the wife of F.R. Leavis) states that all of the intricacies of Emily Bronte's novel are not signs of genius, but instead a shambles resulting from the authors inexperience (which could be supported as this was Emily Bronte's first novel to published). She continues that there is a version of the King Lear sub-plot, the Romantic theme of incest and then a changing of tact leaving some inconsistencies. Some other critics hold that Charlotte Bronte finished writing the book after the publisher required a longer novel to fill the popular three-novel [I believe it was called a triple decker] book popular in the middle 19th century), but many others disagree with this. Later, Catherine relates to Heathcliff fraternally, whilst Heathcliff relates to Catherine as lovers, illustrating incongruities.

She adds that Heathcliff is only enigmatic due to the author's indecision. But despite this, Q.D. Leavis praises Nelly Dean as a figure of motherly womanhood (for example, her offering of food to the other characters and her sitting with them whilst ill etc.).

She anticipates new historicism by placing this novel in a historical and sociocultural context. She maintains that Emily, influenced by Walter Scott, takes the theme of corrupted childhood and relates it to the gradual replacing the "old farming culture based in a naturally partiarchal society" and an unhealthy class consciousness.

This, in her view, makes Wuthering Heights a responsible novel.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm, santa seems to be wrong. This isn't the yera 11 apparantly. :confused:
we don't compare the text to any other text.

:(

we just read it, and apply different interpretations/literary criticism to the novel. hrm
compare and contrast different interpretations of the novel in relation to historical context
"compare and contrast different interpretations of the novel" agree with that.
but "in relation to historical context"?
How do you mean? (I'm not saying your wrong, i don't know, i'm trying to find out what this topic is about :) )

Do a traditional reading, and then a marxist/feminist/psychanalytical one. Than compare/contrast the two. But in relation to historical context? Where does historical context come into the equation?

:confused:
dang, i really don't understand this module at all. :(

escape

hey.

I dare say that by now you have a good grasp on what the Wuthering Heights module is all about, but if not i will have a bit of a ramble.

The main thing about the Wuthering Heights module is that you need to talk about the text IN RELATION TO LITERARY CRITICISMS. Remember that. In our half yearly exams we had to do an essay on this module and a friend of mine lost quite a few marks becuase he didnt talk about the module in relation to the way various people have responded to it.

So the best way to go about it is: read the novel (of course)- and this is probably one of the hardest parts of the module to do! I really enjoyed Wuthering Heights but it was also really hard to get through, because it is so wordy.

Then get heaps of literary criticisms on Wuthering Heights. A point of advice my teacher gave my class is to not have your argument saying that WH is a bad book of little worth. It is hard to prove such a thing and generally wont go down very well with examiners as it is a 'classic'.

Then you should talk about WHY the critic said such and such a thing (due to their social, historical and personal context etc.) and then say "the critic's claim that WH is an unsophisticated text can be refuted by looking at such and such a literary technique employed by Bronte".

Anyway, that is my understanding of the topic.

Hope it is of some help to you!

HSC
Basically, the general gist of the module is that there is no one way of reading a text and the various critical interpretations show this....
I've learnt!!! :D

Kattywoman

Wo hooooooooo!! go all of you for also doing this text!! i have found like, noone else that does wuthering heights, and finding specific notes on it is impossible!! lol ah well, anyway for others who are studying it remember that it is not only the critical reception of the novel, but how people from different perspectives would read it. eg. a marxist would see different parts of the texts as being important to that of a feminist....
Good luck!!

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
ok im doing wuthering heights. pm me or paste notes here if you have any (we're starting on the module once school starts!)

monique66

Fine. I mean its great and all you guys are doing wuthering heights but you could have seen my thread below and posted in that instead...but hey...notes anyone?

Caitlin2022

HSC
Hcliff enters the house

• a gift of God; though it’s dark almost as if it came from the devil.”- first hell allusion
  • gipsy brat”- Hcliff already oppressed, anything non-British was bad
  • inquired for its owner”- Hcliff was enslaved?
  • Cathy “grinning and spitting at the stupid thing”- Hcliff already oppressed, sets tone for the entire novel
  • the mistress never put a word in on hid behalf when she saw him wronged.”- Hcliff already alienated
  • from the very beginning, he bred bad feeling in the house”- Hcliff bad news, upset conventional hierarchy brought trouble
  • young master had learnt to regard his father as an oppressor rather than a friend, and Hcliff as a usurper of his parent’s affections,”
  • when sick “he was as uncomplaining as a lamb”- biblical allusion to Jesus
  • Hindley calls him a “beggarly interloper!” and “imp of Satan

Choosing between Edgar and Hcliff (Marxist and Psych)

• Nelly is moral compass
  • He will be rich and I should like to be the greatest woman of the neighbourhood.”
  • I don’t want your permission for that”- Cathy values Nelly’s opinion yet still puts her down
  • you will escape from a disorderly, comfortless home into a wealthy respectable one
  • it would degrade me to marry Hcliff
  • Co-dependency:
    • he’s more myself than I am
    • I am Heathcliff”
    • “don’t talk of our separation again- it is impractical”
  • my love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I’m well aware, as winter changes the trees – my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath – a source of little visible delight, but necessary.”
  • dark evening for summer” – thunder and approaching rain, pathetic fallacy
  • She beat Hareton, or any child, at a good, passionate fit of crying.”

Hcliff confronts Catherine (Marxist)

• Catherine is oppressing both Heathcliff and Nelly.
  • threatens to order Nelly out of the kitchen is she “dare be so presumptuous” as to put in her “insolent tongue” while Catherine and Heathcliff are talking. Catherine states, “You want setting down in your right place!
  • I want you to be aware that I know you have treated me infernally – infernally!” - Hell allusion
  • Heathcliff swears his revenge “The tyrant grinds down his slaves and they don’t turn against him, they crush those beneath them - You are welcome to torture me to death for your amusement, only, allow me to amuse myself a little in the same style”, oppressed becomes the oppressor and so a vicious cycle is continued.

Isabella’s letter (Marxist, Feminist or Queer)

• Unpleasant imagery “a half-bread bulldog from its lair in the corner” – describing Hcliff’s true character, rough and untamed nature of WH and all its inhabitants.
  • Allusion “Is Mr Hcliff a man? If so, is he mad? And if not, is he a devil?”- describing character and alluding to hell, “Hell should have his soul! It will be ten times blacker with that guest than ever it was before!”, pun on Hcliff’s dark skin and corrupt morals “not all the angels in heaven shall save him!”
  • Imagery of dilapidation “floor had grown a uniform grey” “There was a carpet, a good one; but the pattern was obliterated by dust”- WH was once spectacular but now run down by this generation
  • Contrast between “inhospitable hearth” and “a delightful home” – barrier between the two “four miles. I could not overpass them”- physically she could but not socially as she has shamed herself- contrast between the two houses (status)
  • Characterisation of Hindley- same social class, WH heights had negative impact on him “desperate man” “glaring like a hungry wolf” simile to convey wildness, general madness
  • I’m not going to act the lady among you, for fear I should starve” WH outside Victorian social code.

• Breaking social code will cause suffering
  • Women oppressed by males
  • Once you fall from your class you cannot rise again
  • Bronte supports strict hierarchical class structure
  • Through Isabella Bronte comments that upper class could not survive living as a commoner.

Hcliff digs up grave

• She has disturbed me, night and day. Through eighteen years”- elements of the supernatural
  • it is hers yet” Cathy unchanged “I’m better pleased that it should not commence till I share it.
  • I was wild after she died”
  • “I have a strong faith in ghosts
  • The day she was buried there came a fall of snow”- pathetic fallacy Catherine’s spirit is in the wind
  • “I wish they may shovel the earth over both of us

Linton comes to the Grange (Queer reading)
  • Inferior classes are unimportant “poor thing! Her aunt’s death impressed her with no definite sorrow”- Isabella lost status and is not important. “a maid stepped out of the kitchen.”- Bronte doesn’t give this maid a name as they are of little status
  • Patriarchy “Cathy would fain have taken one glance; but her father told her to come on,” ruled by father
  • Bronte refutes idea of women needing men “She had resolved to make a pet of her little cousin… This pleased him,”- Animalistic imagery, Cathy treats Linton like a “pet” therefore Linton is weak, not conventional Victorian male and no good will come to him.
  • Cumulative listing describes Linton’s feminine qualities “A pale, delicate, effeminate boy…”
  • “kissing his cheek, and offering him tea in her saucer, like a baby”- Linton compared to a baby

Linton scene (Queer or Feminist reading)
  • Linton’s “defective character”- feminine qualities considered weak and undesirable in a man
  • Linton- “Catherine, my life is in your hands” reversal of traditional gender roles ends badly. Victorian stereotype not always true
  • Had I been born where laws are less strict, and tastes less dainty.” Hcliff oppressed by society that keeps him from savagery (good). Hcliff is bound by social laws not his own moral code.
  • “… that hearty girl will tie herself to a little perishing monkey like you?” Animalistic imagery, Linton is weak and unrefined
  • “He wept wildly, kissing her supporting hands”- Linton behaves like female
  • naughty pet,” Catherine is owned, inferior, treated as a pet
  • I am afraid now… because if I stay, Papa will be miserable and how can I endure making him miserable”- Women serve men
  • Dizzily burst a blood vessel”, “burning cheek” describes the nature of WH and heightens violent tone.

Lockwood visits heights to tell Hcliff he doesn’t want to rent anymore

• Property and ownership is male’s role
  • Women’s role is as mothers and homemakers “Catherine was there making herself useful in preparing vegetable”, “Hareton beat Cathy
  • Mr Heathcliff never reads” Hcliff reflects rise of lower classes in the Industrial Revolution (feared by society)
  • Personification “The jealous gate was fastened”- further accentuates Bronte’s use of variers to convey the entrapment of women in society’s expectations
  • Restricted by the definition of your class, shown through Lockwood’s use of metaphor- “living with clowns and misanthropists she cannot appreciate a better class of people”
  • Pathetic fallacy- “yesterday was bright, calm and frosty”- juxtaposition reflects the calm before the storm of confrontation between Lockwood, Hcliff and Cathy.

Final scene (Psych and Marxist)
  • Hcliff’s death restores order “lawful master and the ancient stock were restored to their rights.”
  • Pathetic fallacy: “April” “Spring”- regeneration, change and growth just like Cathy and Hareton’s relationship “two dwarf apple trees, near the southern wall, in full bloom.”
  • Hareton is changes “arrange her little garden” Cathy’s love has softened him, Cathy has grown their love endorsed by Bronte and so is based on growth and change.
  • References to open doors and windows (barriers broken) “They are afraid of nothing together… Together they would brave satan and all his legions” allusion to hell and Hcliff
  • Their love restores order “the gate swang to” same social class
  • Marriage on “New year’s day
  • looked eagerly to the window” and “lattice flapping to an fro” will cross barriers in death that he couldn’t in life Hcliff stands at an “open window
  • I have already attained my heaven; and that off others is altogether unvalued, and uncoveted by me!”- Metaphysical hero

General Techniques
Marxist

• Wuthering Heights vs Thrushcross Grange – BARRIERS
Imagery:
  • “Wading through heath and mud to Wuthering Heights” – barriers (wild imagery)
  • “impassable roads”- barriers, story bound between WH, TG and the moors (reader remains on the moors)
  • “wind whirled wildly” – pathetic fallacy, alliteration, wild imagery
  • “rough as a saw-edge”- Hcliff
  • “soft sweet air”- Grange refined
  • We sympathise with Hcliff when he has nothing when he become rich he is evil, represents rich classes attitude

Psych

• Moors are symbolic of Catherine and Hcliff’s love – can not be changed
  • Nature symbolic of Hareton and Cathy II- “two dwarf apple trees, near the southern wall, in full bloom.”
  • Mirrored Characters- hope in next generation
  • Hcliff & Cath vs. Hareton & Cath = unchangeable love vs. growing love
Cosmic order re-established with the passing of time, disrupted by two unnatural marriages

Caitlin2022

HSC
Feminist

Victorian attitude

• Women were property
  • Marriage was love
  • Women’s purpose to procreate
  • Women were either wives, servants or whores
  • Women disempowered/subservient

Text

Catherine

• Fiery/strong/passionate women are dangerous
  • Powerful/dangerous women die
  • Female power can not exist in the society so it turns on itself
  • Catherine brings destruction where she goes (illness to the Grange)
  • People marry for other reasons (status/wealth)
  • Love for two men tears her apart
  • Childlike
  • Only escapes her role through death
  • Book is concerned with deciphering the traces of Catherine
  • Asymmetrical repetition of the names of the Catherines
  • Learns to be a woman as defined by her society- the ideal of female gentility is produced by society rather than being derived from woman’s ‘nature’.
  • Yearns for childhood- time before she became a ‘lady’

Catherine II

• Catherine II’s story reverses her mothers- starts refined and becomes wild
  • Linton employs “feminine” strategies to get Cathy II
  • Occupies roles her mother couldn’t
  • Transformed from victim to heroine of domestic romance- female power and female influence
  • Does not pay the usual price for her power
  • Exercises power available to the powerless- resistance
  • Not the conventional ‘nurturing female’ she mocks him, however redeems herself

• Women die after they give birth (Frances)
  • Isabella’s predicament highlights problems with property & marriage laws
  • Hindley is upset after Frances’ death- love relationship

Mr Earnshaw (powerful)
Mrs Earnshaw (dead)
Hindley- inherits wealth
Edgar- in inherits wealth
Heathcliff- inherits wealth illegitimately
Catherine- needs to fin husband (childish and treated like a child)
Isabella (births/dies)- weak women die
Hareton- “powerless” physically powerful but has no “status”
Linton- androgynous and effeminate “more a lass than a lad” dies
Catherine II (empowered)- cruel, passionate, childlike, compassionate, beauty education, money

Caitlin2022

HSC
Marxist

Victorian Attitude

• Inheritance
  • Property laws pass inheritance through the males
  • No movement between classes
  • Ownership based on class
    • Land
    • Goods
    • Chattel (wives/children/livestock/servants)
  • Servants were inferior; unimportant
  • Anything not British= very bad/inferior

Text

Heathcliff

• Criticism of property laws, Heathcliff inherits via property laws even though he is undeserving b/c he is foreign. In the end WH is shut up (Hcliff wins?)
  • Pursuit of possessions will lead to disaster is done immorally using oppression
  • Hcliff wishes to possess, denied the one thing he wanted so he sets out to possess everything to have money.
  • Metaphysical hero- material possessions are unimportant.
  • Skilful exploiter
  • Hcliff is non-British and his presence causes chaos.
  • Hcliff has no background and is liberated from a social role- “Who knows, but your father was Emperor of China, and your mother and Indian queen,”
  • He is exploited as a servant but allowed to un free – contradiction
  • Self oppression- he can only take revenge against the system by battling it on its own terms.
  • Spiritual rejection and social integration
Oppression

• People with the most wealth are oppressors:
    • Mr Earnshaw
    • Hcliff (Rebel? Revolutionary?)
    • Hindley
    • Edgar

• Oppression by class and expectations
  • Oppression of the weak, oppressors are males/fathers (patriarchy):
        • Hareton is deprived of education
        • Catherine II is deprived access to the outside world
  • Catherine oppresses Hcliff by denying him equality
  • Catherine II oppresses Hareton but in the end redeems herself
  • Nelly is oppressed she is denied:
          • Recognition
          • Opportunity
          • Family
          • Children
          • Identity
          • Freedom

• Characters are of upper middle class (gentry), not titles, fragile social position
  • Earnshaws are farmers and the farm has been in their family since 1500
  • Lintons are magistrates
  • Servants are nameless
  • In a capitalist society the system will always win- in the end WH & TG are with their rightful heirs
  • Isabella marries below her class = tragedy
  • Catherine’s choice of Edgar b/c of class starts the destruction of the novel
  • Love between Cath and Hcliff shows human possibilities to go beyond the class system
  • In the end Hareton (Tradition) is incorporated into TG
  • Heights- old culture
  • Grange- capitalist power

BleuBullet

HSC
Ugh Wuthering Heights... I am going to shoot my teachers for setting this text for us... good idea about the thread though!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)