• Want some good exam practice before your HSC exams?
    Register now for the 2020 BoS trials in Maths and Chemistry!
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

YEAR 10 SUBJECT SELECTION (1 Viewer)

user.125

HSC
Hey guys, just recently joined :) I'm currently in year 10 and subject selection will be next term. We've been getting a lot of emails and websites etc. about subject selection, uni courses and senior school. There is quite a lot to read through and understand so its a bit overwhelming. I really wanted to get some opinions/thoughts from people other than family and friends. I've been looking at syllabuses and past papers to kind of understand what the subjects I'm interested are about. So far this is what I'm thinking of:

English (Standard or Advanced)
Maths (Advanced or Extension)
Chem
Bio

Unfortunately, as you can see I don't really have a clear idea in mind just because I don't know what the subjects really have to offer and how difficult they are in terms of content/workload. Just wondering if any of you guys could give some info about the above subjects? Also what would you recommend for English and maths in terms of the levels? For English I'm an average student in terms of analysing texts and writing essays, as for narrative/imaginative/creative writing it's probably one of my strongest areas in school. I'm not too sure about maths either - usually get in the 80s for exams - I feel like maths extension will be difficult for me but once again I don't know too much about the subject. I think I was pretty set on taking advanced until I talked to my friends and they all said they were going to try for extension and were super surprised when I said I was thinking about advanced. What do you all think about this? I really enjoy the biology part of science currently so I'm pretty sure I want to do it and I really want to do another science subject but I prefer chemistry over physics - is chemistry a difficult subject though? I do like it but I won't say I love chemistry. Do the practicals and theory get quite advanced? I've always done quite well in the chemistry tasks in high school but I'm sure that is because it's not as advanced as I'm assuming year 11 and 12 will be. Anything else you guys would suggest for a year 10 student - do I need to be studying the subjects I get at the end of year holidays (6 weeks)?

So I still need 4 more units to complete the 12 units for year 11. Once again I'm not too sure about these subjects and these are the ones I'm thinking to pick from:

Business Studies
Economics
Legal Studies

What do you guys think about these subjects about the difficulty of content and workload? Out of the three, I don't really mind Business Studies and Legal sounds quite interesting to me. Are any two of these subjects that work together better? I'm aiming for a 96+ ATAR and hoping to study courses in the area of science/medicine/health and perhaps but not likely IT/accounting/law (backups). This is because I am quite unsure about what's in store for me in the future and how I'm going to perform etc. and what I end up liking throughout senior school, so I'm keeping my options open though I mainly want to study science/medicine/health. I'm quite dedicated to my school work and I'm in one of the top 5 schools in state and hope to maintain good work ethics especially for the next two years. Also wondering what the main differences were from year 11 and 12 modules and course outcomes for the above subjects - do some subjects get easier/harder/same in terms of theory/workload etc. Also I'm quite confused about the whole scaling situation. Is scaling meant to like impact marks a lot - especially with the ones I'm considering? Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated since I have so much other things going on and to think about and hearing some feedback would help :) Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Go for maths extension at least because if you want to go into science area, you may have to do some maths courses in university, and a lot of those assume extension 1 maths. Also, it has quite good scaling so if you are good at maths definitely choose it as even if it doesn't suit you later, you can always drop it but can't really go up to it.

In terms of the English if you don't really love the subject, would recommend against extension. Just because your friends say it's a good idea, doesn't necessarily mean it will be. It's a very essay heavy subject and pairing that with the two sciences may be a large workload. The type of analysis you will do in that will be at a more advanced level than advanced and unless you really enjoy it I don't see the benefits

Biology and Chemistry: in terms of science subjects, in my opinion the year 11 and 12 content is not extremely difficult. The main thing is that there's quite a bit of content so the problem students have is they learn it in term 1 for instance and then by term 2 they have forgot the stuff they learnt before because they don't do consistent practice and study. If you are diligent in your work, make notes and do practice questions these subjects you will do well in them

For rest, I did business studies and it's an easy subject. Can be boring at times as it's very content focused but an easy subject to perform well in. I can't comment on the others as I didn't do them

user.125

HSC
Thank you so much for the feedback! I'll definitely consider it.

Also for English I was thinking of standard and advanced - any comment on these subjects? Not really thinking about doing extension for English.

I do enjoy maths but after looking at some of the things in maths extension I'm not sure if I'm up to that standard - I know I'll definitely be doing maths though so I just want to know if there are really major differences between maths advanced and extension? (Our school tells us that if you roughly get a B overall your more likely up for advanced and if you get an A overall your more likely up for extension - I usually get middle to high B's - not my best subject but I do enjoy aspects of it).

If I think about it now, the subjects I'm leaning towards doing are - English standard, maths advanced, chem, bio, business, legal - how are these subjects in terms of workload and scaling? Does anyone recommend which subject is better - legal or eco? Personally like legal but does eco work better with the other subjects or more useful etc.?

Thanks

tito981

HSC
if ur worried about the workload have u considered doing another 1 unit subject (e.g. slr) with extension math.

TheShy

HSC
ngl, slr quite good, I mean you just play sports the whole period. Think of it as leisure period from all your other heavy content subjects

HSC

Also for English I was thinking of standard and advanced - any comment on these subjects? Not really thinking about doing extension for English.

I do enjoy maths but after looking at some of the things in maths extension I'm not sure if I'm up to that standard - I know I'll definitely be doing maths though so I just want to know if there are really major differences between maths advanced and extension? (Our school tells us that if you roughly get a B overall your more likely up for advanced and if you get an A overall your more likely up for extension - I usually get middle to high B's - not my best subject but I do enjoy aspects of it).

If I think about it now, the subjects I'm leaning towards doing are - English standard, maths advanced, chem, bio, business, legal - how are these subjects in terms of workload and scaling? Does anyone recommend which subject is better - legal or eco? Personally like legal but does eco work better with the other subjects or more useful etc.?

Thanks
I'd recommend English Advanced over standard for you. The only main difference (i think) is that you do a Shakespeare and a few older texts in Advanced whilst in standard you do more modern texts. Plus, the scaling for advanced is much much much better than standard so I'd think it'd be better for you. You can also drop from advanced to standard, but you (most likely) cannot move up from standard to advanced.

In terms of maths, I was pretty poor at math in junior years and now im doing 4u lol. If you put the effort in you'll begin to enjoy the subject and it is quite rewarding in terms of scaling and the knowledge you get which can build you up to uni. Like english, you can drop extension 1 to advanced anytime, but you can't move up from advanced to standard.

In saying that, don't choose your subjects based of scaling but choose what you enjoy more. I'd say the humanities have a pretty big workload (LOTS of memorising) but at the same time the concepts are pretty simple to grasp. I don't do those 2 sciences but from my friends Im guessing bio is a bit more content heavy while chemistry is more application-based, but there's still a lot of content like any other subject. If you personally like legal I'd suggest you choose it considering you'll probably enjoy it more.

Also quick note: if you're worried about workload in year 11 and want to just chill a bit, pick SLR like I did alongside 3u math because its literally just a sports/free period that will take your mind of other subjects lol

Bball1

HSC
From what you've said about being interested in medicine, science etc I have been told by many that you should do extension maths, and if you don't enjoy it after your preliminary year then drop it, but I would definitely take it. Personally, I regretted picking extension english for my one unit subject that accompanied extension maths, I would much rather do SLR as it is just a bludge subject and extension English for me has a higher workload than advanced and it's just one unit. Especially with chem and bio, not too difficult but a bit of a workload, you need a subject like that which you can just chill in otherwise it can be overwhelming. Sounds like your more interested in legal so I would go for that, I know a lot of people who just picked eco for the sake of scaling and if you don't think you'll enjoy it that much, you won't. Pick advanced over standard, it's not that difficult and you're doing texts that you've heard of and there's lots of analysis online to assist, standard there isn't as much.

If I was you I'd go with extension math, advanced english, SLR, legal, chem, bio

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks
I would recommend Advanced English, the aligning in English standard is not that good and based on your ATAR goals and current ability English advanced would be suitable for you. There's also not much of a major difference you will have by doing English Standard, you basically have to do the same amount of exams and texts as well. In Year 7-10, I thought I was going to be doing English standard, I literally just scrapped into the advanced stream at my school and by the end of Year 12 I was ranked first and almost state ranked for it. It's definitely a subject you can improve from younger years. I had many friends as well that did terrible in English in younger years showing the lack of natural ability in it and got band 6 in Year 12 from working hard in the subject

Aim for extension for maths, the subject will be important as I've mentioned before as you said you wanted to go into science areas. For that you will need to know extension maths for university, or you will have to do bridging courses which can't compare to someone studying extension over 2 years of school. In terms of improving for maths, you just have to grind and over time you will become good at it. If you are getting high to middle B you know the base of the content and just need to put in more practice into improving those skills. That's not so difficult to do, compared to someone trying to go from a C to A.

In terms of recommendations you should always start of in harder subjects especially as you have to be somewhat intelligent to be going to a top 5 school. So aim high and then if it doesn't fit then you can drop down, it's better than down the line regretting you chose the easier option

user.125

HSC
Thank you so much for all the feedback! Really appreciate it and it's helped me clear up some doubts :) From what you guys have said SLR does sound good however I haven't actually heard about it in my school? I moved schools this year and we haven't really had a chance to have assemblies discussing subject selection and offers due to corona and I think its something we'll be discussing more next term when we actually make our choices. So is it like PDHPE or another subject itself? And is it something they offer in a lot of schools, because I haven't heard much about one unit subjects that are not extension subjects. Are there any other one unit subjects (I'm not the best at PE so idk if SLR will be a good option for me) you guys have heard to be good and are in a lot of schools? - more chance that my school may offer it but I'm just not aware of it. If I didn't end up doing a one unit subject and picked another 2 unit subject - do you all think 13 units is manageable? I do try my best in my work however I'm not the best at time management and get stressed quite easily. I am improving on my time management but just wondering if taking another 2 unit subject is worth it for doing maths extension. Thanks!

Last edited:
HSC
I'm in a decent selective and for me SLR was literally 3 terms of playing sport with maybe a couple theory lessons. It's nothing like PE if you're wondering - I had one assessment and it was a coaching prac which we just messed around in lol. It's genuinely just a bludgey subject.

There are also one units - my school had photography(I think) and SOR, but SOR 1 is the only 1 unit i know that is actually a HSC subject.

user.125

HSC
Oh ok thank you! Does that mean SLR and Photography aren't considered actual HSC subjects? A bit confused about that?

HSC
Oh ok thank you! Does that mean SLR and Photography aren't considered actual HSC subjects? A bit confused about that?
HSC subjects are just the ones you can do in Year 12. So SLR and Photography don't run in Year 12 as there's no exam or course for it, however SOR is a year 12 subject. That means if you do decide to do SLR that you'll have 11 units once Year 12 starts.

quickoats

HSC
HSC subjects are just the ones you can do in Year 12. So SLR and Photography don't run in Year 12 as there's no exam or course for it, however SOR is a year 12 subject. That means if you do decide to do SLR that you'll have 11 units once Year 12 starts.
Just a technicality - they do (sometimes) run in year 12, but their candidature transforms into mostly non-ATAR students who are maintaining the minimum 10 units to get their HSC award. If there is no market for that at a school, the class collapses and isn't run anymore. SLR/Photo etc are all HSC content endorsed courses, so they can count towards your minimum requirements to achieve your Certificate, however, they do not count towards your ATAR.

They are actual HSC subjects, they are just not in your best interest to be taking in year 12 if you want to receive an ATAR. You are entitled to take them to meet your 12 unit yr 11 requirement, and you can still take them in year 12. However, it will not count towards your ATAR so there is little point in taking it in yr 12.

Usually schools run SLR/Photography/Ceramics in addition to SoR1 in year 11 to 'balance' out those who do Eng Ex1 and Maths Ex1, so they don't have the issue of timetabling students with 13 units.

tito981

HSC
Also quick note: if you're worried about workload in year 11 and want to just chill a bit, pick SLR like I did alongside 3u math because its literally just a sports/free period that will take your mind of other subjects lol
i do slr, best decision i made dropping from a fairly heavy 2 unit subject, (for op) if ur wondering slr has 2 maybe 3 assessments (depends on school) throughout year 11 and thats where it ends. The only thing is that i chose slr with the intention of doing 4u math. So if ur not sure of picking 4u u maybe stuck on 11 units, just something to keep in mind when choosing these 1 unit subjects.

Last edited:

user.125

HSC
Thankyou! Now I understand what it Means!

Last edited:

foxxraven

HSC
Here's my experiences out of all the subjects that I do that you are considering:
Chemistry - content heavy, must remember equations and study consistently and take good notes. there's also a depth study
English advanced - imo, do English advanced instead of standard, it scales way better and unless you really struggle with English the only main difference is that Standard has more contemporary texts. (this is just from my understanding, my school does not offer English standard in year 11, but they offer it in year 12 for students who struggle)
English ext 1 - you need to be strong in analysing texts and writing, or be willing to work on those skills in order to do well.
Maths (advanced/ext 1) you have to put a decent amount of time in order to do well. I am like you, a fairly average maths student but if you don't put in the time to actually study or do the work you won't do well. Ext 1 builds off advanced quite well though so if you do end up dropping ext 1 its not a waste, but ext 1 is fairly time consuming.
Legal Studies - very content heavy, a lot of remembering concepts and ideas, as well as writing skills. I think this is a common thread with most of the social sciences. I would only recommend doing it if it actually interests you because of how content heavy it is.

If I were in your position, where you could pick up a 1unit subject like SLR, photography or SOR 1 (but apparently SOR 1 is fairly content heavy), I would do that as opposed to something like english ext if you aren't a super strong english student and still need another unit. My school doesn't offer SLR, photography etc, the only 1unit subjects they offer are subject extensions (english, maths, history, science, music, languages etc) or SOR 1, so I can't speak for them, but it's something to consider.

vivillon

HSC
Last edited:

fleabag

HSC
Thought I'd chime in as a current Y11 student, as I was in a similar boat to you last year. I don't do any sciences, so my advice on those can only be based off what I've heard from friends, but as for everything else:

- English: 100% go for Advanced. As others have said, the main difference is that Standard has more contemporary texts and no Shakespeare, and Advanced scales better if you do quite well in it. Plus, you can always drop down if you find it too difficult. As for English Extension - it's quite a workload for one unit, but I personally find it more enjoyable than Advanced (and it can actually help develop skills for it). Ext focuses less on analysing specific techniques/ect. than it does on identifying and discussing overarching themes and concepts, and IMO, the texts are more interesting - so if that's the side of English that appeals to you more, I would give it a shot. That being said, your writing and analysis skills should be quite strong. I don't know how much time your school gives you to drop subjects at the start of Y11, but at mine, I know several people who chose it, tried it out, and dropped it - which is always an option if you choose more than 12 units. Mostly, I'd recommend Ext mostly if you actually enjoy English - it's something you do need to have some level of passion for.

- Maths: I'm a fairly average maths student who does Advanced, and so I can't speak much for Extension. Just keep in mind that maths does require a lot of work to be put in. Like a lot of people have said, it's generally better to start off at a higher level, aim high, and then drop if needed - especially as you've said you're interested in scientific fields.

- Chem/Bio: again, I can't speak much for this since I don't do them myself. However - from what I've heard from friends: Chem is generally considered a tad harder than Bio, while Bio is considered content-heavy. Ultimately, pick the one you enjoy more.

- Business/Eco/Legal: Business is generally considered the easiest of these: there's a lot of content but it's not hard - got a lot of friends who do it. Personally, I do Legal and Eco. Legal's interesting but very content heavy: there's the concepts, cases, legislation and all that jazz that has to be remembered. Writing skills are important, especially being able to write in a straightforward, concise way. Like others above has said, I don't know if it's worth doing unless you're really interested in it. As for Eco, it's the most complex of the three and scales the best - a lot of it is remembering economic concepts and then knowing how to apply it. In that sense, there's less memorisation: but you'll need to remember up to date and relevant statistics that you'll need to find in your own time. Legal and Eco both require some degree of independent research (for relevant, recent cases and stats/articles respectively) to use in your responses, so keep that in mind.

As for the two that work best together - they all do complement each other in some way. I'd wager that Economics and Business Studies are probably the most natural pair, but Business/Legal and Legal/Eco all do have their benefits. Personally, I wouldn't fret too much about it - pick what interests you.

RE: scaling: that's a whole other complex topic, but my last bit of advice is that you don't need to worry too much. Scaling mostly affects you if you're not scoring high marks - and so I'd recommend you pick subjects based on your strengths and interests. Ideally, you do well enough that scaling essentially becomes irrelevant - and it's easier to do well in things if you're interested in them. Off the top of my head: Economics, Chem and the extensions are the best-scaling subjects you've mentioned there, but like I said before: don't pick them solely for this reason.

Hope this helped somewhat! There's tons of other great advice in this thread, and if you still have any questions or confusion, I'd be happy to clear them up.

hschelper01

HSC
Thought I'd chime in as a current Y11 student, as I was in a similar boat to you last year. I don't do any sciences, so my advice on those can only be based off what I've heard from friends, but as for everything else:

- English: 100% go for Advanced. As others have said, the main difference is that Standard has more contemporary texts and no Shakespeare, and Advanced scales better if you do quite well in it. Plus, you can always drop down if you find it too difficult. As for English Extension - it's quite a workload for one unit, but I personally find it more enjoyable than Advanced (and it can actually help develop skills for it). Ext focuses less on analysing specific techniques/ect. than it does on identifying and discussing overarching themes and concepts, and IMO, the texts are more interesting - so if that's the side of English that appeals to you more, I would give it a shot. That being said, your writing and analysis skills should be quite strong. I don't know how much time your school gives you to drop subjects at the start of Y11, but at mine, I know several people who chose it, tried it out, and dropped it - which is always an option if you choose more than 12 units. Mostly, I'd recommend Ext mostly if you actually enjoy English - it's something you do need to have some level of passion for.

- Maths: I'm a fairly average maths student who does Advanced, and so I can't speak much for Extension. Just keep in mind that maths does require a lot of work to be put in. Like a lot of people have said, it's generally better to start off at a higher level, aim high, and then drop if needed - especially as you've said you're interested in scientific fields.

- Chem/Bio: again, I can't speak much for this since I don't do them myself. However - from what I've heard from friends: Chem is generally considered a tad harder than Bio, while Bio is considered content-heavy. Ultimately, pick the one you enjoy more.

- Business/Eco/Legal: Business is generally considered the easiest of these: there's a lot of content but it's not hard - got a lot of friends who do it. Personally, I do Legal and Eco. Legal's interesting but very content heavy: there's the concepts, cases, legislation and all that jazz that has to be remembered. Writing skills are important, especially being able to write in a straightforward, concise way. Like others above has said, I don't know if it's worth doing unless you're really interested in it. As for Eco, it's the most complex of the three and scales the best - a lot of it is remembering economic concepts and then knowing how to apply it. In that sense, there's less memorisation: but you'll need to remember up to date and relevant statistics that you'll need to find in your own time. Legal and Eco both require some degree of independent research (for relevant, recent cases and stats/articles respectively) to use in your responses, so keep that in mind.

As for the two that work best together - they all do complement each other in some way. I'd wager that Economics and Business Studies are probably the most natural pair, but Business/Legal and Legal/Eco all do have their benefits. Personally, I wouldn't fret too much about it - pick what interests you.

RE: scaling: that's a whole other complex topic, but my last bit of advice is that you don't need to worry too much. Scaling mostly affects you if you're not scoring high marks - and so I'd recommend you pick subjects based on your strengths and interests. Ideally, you do well enough that scaling essentially becomes irrelevant - and it's easier to do well in things if you're interested in them. Off the top of my head: Economics, Chem and the extensions are the best-scaling subjects you've mentioned there, but like I said before: don't pick them solely for this reason.

Hope this helped somewhat! There's tons of other great advice in this thread, and if you still have any questions or confusion, I'd be happy to clear them up.
^^^ wow. :eek::eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)