Year 10 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone, so I just got informed that due to sufficient teachers being available, our school and my year advisor has allowed us to change our three electives for Year 10. I know it’s quite surprising but these elective changes are due by the end of November and I would like to know what electives would be the best fit for me
Here are my half yearly results
English: 7/22
Maths 5.1: 4/22
Science: 1/22
Geography: 13/22 (I sleep during Geography sometimes in the back)
Music*Elective*: 2/11 (Willing to keep it)
Commerce*elective*: 2/17 (Willing to keep it so I can carry the boys in the business assessment task)
PDHPE: 6/22 (My movement isn’t ‘fluent enough’
History: 3/22
ICT: 5/15 (Should really stop procrastinating during class especially when we are making games on scratch.com)

New Electives
-Dance
-Food Technology
-PASS
-Work Experience (dropkick kids only)
-Social Studies
-HSIE
-Work Studies

Thanks to anyone who can help me

SuckYoutMpm

HSC
Sleeping in Geography, that’s really common especially for people who don’t see the purpose of it

SuckYoutMpm

HSC
Like tell me when would you need to learn about butttress in the future like holy French fry

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It would be a good idea to choose your electives according to your study interests. Since year 10 is not meant to test your abilities to the extent that year 12 does (especially when considering that all assessment tasks/exams you complete in year 12 contribute towards your ATAR), enjoyment/interest in the subjects you're taking can be prioritised.

I think that keeping Commerce may be a good option as this subject provides you with a decent amount of foundational knowledge that you will be able to expand on, should you aim to take Business Studies, Legal Studies and/or (possibly) Economics in year 11 and year 12. Taking HSIE alongside Commerce might also be beneficial (since content taught within both subjects may likely be similar), although I am not sure what exactly this new subject entails.

I took PASS in year 10. I'm not entirely sure if there were any changes introduced to this subject, but when I took it, it focused on sports to a much greater extent than PDHPE, hence the name Physical Activities and Sport Studies. If you feel that you are not performing very well in PDHPE, then perhaps you may not wish to take PASS.

I hope this helps! :D

nine9

HSC
Completely forgot how Yr 10 works. Anyways hsie subjects are pretty fun and helps a lot with English. Also people do look up to hsie kids (at my school anyways). You can always drop again in Yr 11.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey everyone, so I just got informed that due to sufficient teachers being available, our school and my year advisor has allowed us to change our three electives for Year 10. I know it’s quite surprising but these elective changes are due by the end of November and I would like to know what electives would be the best fit for me
Commerce*elective*: 2/17 (Willing to keep it so I can carry the boys in the business assessment task)
ICT: 5/15 (Should really stop procrastinating during class especially when we are making games on scratch.com)

New Electives
-Dance
-Food Technology
-PASS
-Social Studies
-HSIE
-Work Studies

Lol just have fun bro, year 10s the last time you'll see most of the eshays. No real elective is gonna give u an advantage in the HSC tbh except commerce and that's just by a bit. Just choose all the fun courses u like and enjoy ur last year before senior school, when u start prelims/hsc you'll be more focused on studying than anything (most likely) than before so just enjoy the year.

kkk579

hello
HSC

New Electives
-Dance
-Food Technology
-PASS
-Social Studies
-HSIE
-Work Studies

if u don’t enjoy ICT change it to a bludge elective so u can put more time into the more relevant subjects

toilet

HSC

New Electives
-Dance
-Food Technology
-PASS
-Social Studies
-HSIE
-Work Studies

i would pick 'fun' subjects (food technology, music, etc) that aren't too based on theory because year 10 is supposed to be your last year of free time. i didnt choose commerce in year 9 and 10 but im doing fine in business studies so it wouldnt really matter if you were to drop commerce. plus most people i know who chose theory based subjects in years 9 and 10 like commerce regretted it because they realised they would rather for example be cooking with friends than be doing theory all lesson.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)