Year 11 Fort Street Entrance Exam 2017!! (1 Viewer)

mills34343

HSC
Hi, I would like to know the experiences and some information from the people who had previously taken the Fort St entrance exam to get into the school for year 11. By this I mean by in all honesty:
- how hard were the exams? ( both english and math)
- approximately how many people were there? ( for the exam)
- any specific topics to be studied for maths.
- how many people does the school usually accept?
- after the exam, did you feel like you were going to make it in or nah -> how confident were you?
- any tips/extra info would be very nice as well!

Oh and also, I've been hearing some of my friends say that apparently the school would usually just give the applicants, the year 10 half yearly exam as the entrance test? Is this true to some degree? Or?

Thanks !

-Milly

Jolteon

HSC
Hey Milly!
So, I took the Fort street entrance exam last year and in all honestly, it was quite difficult even though I was attending a selective high school.
Maths: The biggest issue for me the content because the exam covered topics that I haven't studied or learnt yet so that was a big issue for me but with tutoring and whatnot, some would say it was okay. Also, time management was a serious problem for me (if i remember correctly, it was around 40 minutes)

From memory, the exam should have a few multiple choice questions and it's quite similar to a semester/half yearly exam so the layout shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

English: Politics. The stimulus I received had things to do with politics and the comprehension was an article on political affairs so my advice would be to read some current affairs and maybe brush up on some terminology because that would make your essay pop! :)

Anyways, goodluck for the exam and if you're super serious about it, i would recommend you going on THSC and maybe do some Year 10 Fort Street semester exams to familiarize yourself with their style and the questions they tend to put in, and for English, just brush up on media.

Also, from memory there was around .. 3/4 of their hall for my year ??

Z0

HSC
N/A
just did the exam ;-;.
mildly easy

Z0

HSC
N/A
outdated af advice but-
how hard were the exams? ( both english and math) it was okay
- approximately how many people were there? ( for the exam) 200
- any specific topics to be studied for maths. Year 10 advanced syllabus
- how many people does the school usually accept? 50-75 (30 Sefton students made it in 2016)
- after the exam, did you feel like you were going to make it in or nah -> how confident were you? Not sure.

Music2

HSC
N/A
outdated af advice but-
- how many people does the school usually accept? 50-75 (30 Sefton students made it in 2016)
- after the exam, did you feel like you were going to make it in or nah -> how confident were you? Not sure.
The first page of the maths exam I couldn't answer anything properly.. I should have revised the "simple topics". The English was too easy to be a test.

Music2

HSC
N/A
Definitely regret not studying the simple topics. Feels when only one circle geometry question comes out ;(

mills34343

HSC
outdated af advice but-
watdaaa 50-75?!?!?! the office ladies were like 20-25 LMAO

mills34343

HSC
How'd you do? Did you find it difficult?
The math part was okay, wouldve finished it if i had like 10 more mins LOL and i found the english bit slightly harder than the math bit bc i had no idea what to write lmao i guess it was okay overall AHHAHAHA i doubt id get in though tbh bc there was like 130-150 ppl there i believe? idek AHAHAHA how about you? how did you go?

Necroperion

HSC
The math part was okay, wouldve finished it if i had like 10 more mins LOL and i found the english bit slightly harder than the math bit bc i had no idea what to write lmao i guess it was okay overall AHHAHAHA i doubt id get in though tbh bc there was like 130-150 ppl there i believe? idek AHAHAHA how about you? how did you go?
I did the test as well and for me, the math test was alright, i didn't get to finish the test so that was pretty dissapointing and for english, everything was pretty simple except for the extended response because it didn't have a question for it.

mills34343

HSC
I did the test as well and for me, the math test was alright, i didn't get to finish the test so that was pretty dissapointing and for english, everything was pretty simple except for the extended response because it didn't have a question for it.
Ye AHAHAHAHA the question for the ext response was v unclear lmao, the test is over & so all we can do is wait for the letter HAHAHA

Episodic Erudite

HSC
Uni Grad
Math was easy, English was too, but I normally don't do well in english exams so we'll see. When do we get the letter? I'm pretty sure only 20-25 get in too

Music2

HSC
N/A
Oh and guys the letter comes out at the end of this term! (End of September!)

Episodic Erudite

HSC
Uni Grad
If I get in, it'll be because of the maths. I finished it, but I usually make a few mistakes and unfortunately I rushed it, with 15 min left after finishing. When do you get the letter about the interview? And HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY GET IN? Btw, approx what numbers were you guys, we might have sat next to eachother IoI (that's meant to be a face)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)