Year 11 Subject (due tmr just need advice) (1 Viewer)

mynameisgeorgeo

HSC
Hey everyone, sorry for using your time.

I'm about to move into year 11 and I need to pick 12 units and so far I've got:
english standard
3 unit maths
studies of religion 1
physics
business studies

I need one more subject and I'm tossing between either modern history, chemistry and economics.

I get A's for both history and commerce but I mainly get B's in chemistry.

Could you guys please give some advice on these subjects if you can (e.g. was it hard, content, etc).

I'm looking to do either finance or medicine in university, but I'm worried that chemistry is a prerequisite for most but I'm not too great a science.

Thanks in advance.

HK_9703

HSC
If you want to do medicine I'm pretty sure chemistry is a prerequisite, it is hard but if you focus on it you should be fine. But it's also a math base science if that helps.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Also don't ever put English standard as your initial choice. Do advanced and if you really find it too hard then drop to standard. English standard is an atar killer.

mynameisgeorgeo

HSC
If you want to do medicine I'm pretty sure chemistry is a prerequisite, it is hard but if you focus on it you should be fine. But it's also a math base science if that helps.
Could you give some information on like what we do in chemistry since I'm pretty which science is pretty weak for me and it sometimes gets confusing.

Also don't ever put English standard as your initial choice. Do advanced and if you really find it too hard then drop to standard. English standard is an atar killer.
Alright, English Advanced isn't too bad for me I'll see change my choice now.

Attachments

HK_9703

HSC
You mainly do types of reactions, balancing equations, bonding and also a new task they moved to year 11 titration which is part of separating techniques. So it's all mainly surrounding math but you have to understand the concept and if you do you should be good.

mynameisgeorgeo

HSC
I'm just worried I'm really bad at science and it may get too hard for me.

If I choose eco, which is also content heavy but can be logical, I may get decent.

However, if I choose chemistry, I may or may not be good but it would help for medicine at uni.

I'm really stuck on these two choices and I don't know what to do, I'm really stressed out on just picking the subjects.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The chemistry in the year 11 and 12 is not insanely difficult. If you are someone who is decent at math, then if you just put in the time and do consistent work you will do well. The main reason students find these subjects hard is the majority of students just do the school homework which is often on like fill in the blanks worksheets or they find the answers online and copy them. If you just do extra work outside the class in terms of solving exam or worksheet questions (can be like 1 hr a week) you will do well in chemistry

HK_9703

HSC
If you really think you won't be able to achieve a high mark in chemistry don't pick it, because at the end of the day you won't be interested and it'll drag you down. But the only issue is I really think you need it for medicine. Also economics is just mathematics with finance content, but it is also hard. These two subjects either way you'll need to focus on a lot for year 12.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The problem with just doing the school work is if your school doesn’t structure their lessons well then when the exam comes it’s hard to learn everything in an exam scenario type of quesitin

mynameisgeorgeo

HSC
Well, if you were in my situation, would you pick chemistry or economics?

I'm fine with putting effort into both, but my main concern is that with chemistry, it may be difficult for me, though it is important if I want to do medicine.

HK_9703

HSC
You have a lot of math based subjects, and I don't think chemistry would be that difficult for you just by seeing your current subject selections.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are worried about the difficulty of it what can be helpful is to get some tutoring lessons but honestly the subject is not as hard as most people say it is

mynameisgeorgeo

HSC
Would my subject selection so fr be too much of a stretch for chem/eco? (eg. 3 unit maths, adv english + 2 sciences - too much pressure?)

As far as for tutoring, I have tutoring for maths only as my family isn't that affluent.

HK_9703

HSC
No we almost have the same subjects, you should be fine.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Would my subject selection so fr be too much of a stretch for chem/eco? (eg. 3 unit maths, adv english + 2 sciences - too much pressure?)

As far as for tutoring, I have tutoring for maths only as my family isn't that affluent.
You should be fine. Doing hard subjects usually has rewards in terms of ATAR. If you are aiming for something like medicine you should try to push yourself

mynameisgeorgeo

HSC
Alright. I'm just wondering, what difference is there in terms of business studies and economics. As in like the degree you can do in university.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright. I'm just wondering, what difference is there in terms of business studies and economics. As in like the degree you can do in university.
Well I don't have experience with economics, but the stuff you learn in business studies is not really that useful in terms of a degree in my opinion. Like a lot of it is to do with how a business is run in general terms. Like I would say you could get away without having done business studies in high school and still do a finance, economics degree in uni. Economics is probably more useful, because from what I heard from friends some of the concepts that were taught in first year subjects were similar to the HSC so they had that benefit of knowing some stuff before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)