Year 11 Subject Help! (1 Viewer)

mozzanet

HSC
I'm a Year 10 student a couple of days away from choosing my prelim subjects and I just wanted to see if anybody had any advice for me about my choices, especially regarding difficulty level/scaling etc.
So far I'm thinking
-Maths Advanced
-Maths Extension 1
-English Advanced
-English Extension 1
-Japanese Continuers
-SOR II
-Society and Culture
-Drama
For reference, I'm aiming for an ATAR of 80
Thanks!

Last edited:

Hind Melon

HSC
Subjects scale differently depending on school institution and curriculum.
I can't post links but I'm sure you can search up past results. If you live in the ACT, search up "BSSS 2018 Results"
From what I observed, STEM subjects tend to scale well, but some find them hard. Judging by what you're aiming for, I'm not sure if Japanese, Study of Religion(Not sure what SOR is), and drama will be useful in your field. But if you really want to do them, then go-ahead. If you want more information, there are some good resources you can find online.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
These are good subject choices. Good luck for year 11

jimmy.chu232

HSC
I mean if you can handle ext english it should be fine....

You learn about boring gothic.... and have to write lots of comparative essays

It seems like an awful lot of work for just a single unit course

fet

HSC
Ext 1 English and Mathematics are very draining subjects in terms of the effort and time you must dedicate to achieve high marks (looking at peers who do both simultaneously). if you think you can manage the pressure of 2 difficult ext subjects + 10 other units of variable difficulty, then go for it. don't worry about scaling for now, year 11 is just for you to experience your subject choices and then make a more refined decision based on ATAR/uni goals before year 12.

it's v common for year 11's to realise they made a poor decision and drop that subject in term 1, no big deal. don't stress yourself right now, not worth it during year 11.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
I'm a Year 10 student a couple of days away from choosing my prelim subjects and I just wanted to see if anybody had any advice for me about my choices, especially regarding difficulty level/scaling etc.
So far I'm thinking
-Maths Advanced
-Maths Extension 1
-English Advanced
-English Extension 1
-Japanese Continuers
-SOR II
-Society and Culture
-Drama
For reference, I'm aiming for an ATAR of 80
Thanks!
I'm really skeptical of society and cultture.....

you don't really learn anything in the subject....its really just plain common sense

jimmy.chu232

HSC
Ext 1 English and Mathematics are very draining subjects in terms of the effort and time you must dedicate to achieve high marks (looking at peers who do both simultaneously). if you think you can manage the pressure of 2 difficult ext subjects + 10 other units of variable difficulty, then go for it. don't worry about scaling for now, year 11 is just for you to experience your subject choices and then make a more refined decision based on ATAR/uni goals before year 12.

it's v common for year 11's to realise they made a poor decision and drop that subject in term 1, no big deal. don't stress yourself right now, not worth it during year 11.
I didn't say I hated it, I said that I'm not interested in dropping down to the only alternative (since I have to do a unit of religion since I go to a catholic school, and SOR is by far my preference out of the options).
True I do both ext and I struggled the first term but the second term I finally strategize and learnt how to play the game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)