year 11 tutoring (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
im in year 10 currently and only do tutoring for maths and english.
assuming that i do these subjects in year 11:
3u eng
3u maths
eco
modern h
legal

what subjects would be beneficial for tutoring? im planning to receive tutoring for maths and eco, idk about legal or modern because it seems very subjective. and for english i might just get a private tutor to look over my work

also would there be a disadvantage in doing no sciences? they arent appealing to me and ive always swayed towards humanities subjects. but im more worried about the workload because of all the heavy content and essay writing. nevertheless id still prefer writing essays than doing a science. can someone who has done similar subjects give me advice and tips please? thank you!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the main purpose of tutoring is to assist you in consolidating your knowledge and understanding of the content of different subjects through a more personalised approach that you may not have access to at school. This calls for a need to consider your performance in the year 10 subjects that are similar to those that you wish to take in year 11. Priority should be given to the subject(s) where your performance is least favourable and/or future subjects where you believe you may not be able to reach your full potential without assistance.

Generally speaking, you can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects as long as you are a committed and diligent student and are able to maintain this, especially throughout year 12. To answer your question, not taking any Science subjects does not place you at a disadvantage. I, for instance, achieved a 90+ ATAR with no Science subjects, and I am sure that there are several other students who received an ATAR significantly higher than me without taking any Science subject. You have correctly identified that personal interest is an essential element that contributes to a more effective subject selection, as opposed to a subject selection where the only factor that was considered is scaling.

It may be a bit early to make an informed judgement regarding heavy-content subjects, primarily because students differ in abilities and preferences and also because you are yet to experience any of those subjects. In such a case, the best advice would probably be to give your subjects a try in year 11, allowing you to gain a deeper perspective and reflect on the best subject combination for you as you approach and eventually commence year 12. The good thing is that none of your year 11 results will count towards your HSC results or ATAR, giving you a great opportunity to thoroughly experience every subject at no expense. Ultimately, if you find that you were able to effectively manage the workload and believe that you are able to maintain this ability going forward, then great! If not, you may wish to consider dropping a subject, therefore reducing the overall workload as you start year 12.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)