Year 12 Extension 1 Cut-Off (1 Viewer)

alussovsky

HSC
I remember hearing briefly at the beginning of this year (year 11) that there was a cut-off for 4U maths, that you had to have a raw mark of at least 75% in prelim. 3U at my school to get in, and had to rank within the top 40 or so of the grade. A week ago, a friend of mine was breaking down because she got a bad mark for the 2nd 3U test this year and was terrified that she wouldn't make the cut for next year's 3U.

SO, my memory being literally 3 seconds long, I did not recall the note regarding cut-offs at the beginning of the year and I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ACTUALLY A CUT-OFF FOR 3U MATHS IN YEAR 12 AND IF THERE IS, WHETHER IT IS BASED OFF OF YEAR 11'S 3U OR 2U RAW MARK.

PLEASE.

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
well, from BOSTES's side, there's no such restriction.

but like the guy above said - it really depends on your school. sounds as if the teachers at your school have decided that anyone not getting 75% in 3u exams in prelim course doesn't have the motivation or talent to attempt the 4u course with reasonable chances of success.

look, if it's just 1 exam, you could probably have a meeting with your maths teachers and just appeal to them directly. You could even negotiate a condition such as: you'd self teach or get tutored 1 topic in 4u over holidays to prove your willingness+ability to learn. If you failed this condition, you'd be forced to drop 4u.

I don't know - but teachers do tend to be understanding and they want you to succeed. I'm sure they'd listen :)

Lumenoria

HSC
Depends on your school, but it is not a rare occurrence. We had a similar thing for English Advanced. If you were ranked in the bottom half after prelims, the English faculty would automatically drop you to Standard. Likewise, we needed a mark of 90+ in English Extension 1 to qualify for a position in English Ext 2. In our case, these cut offs were very strictly enforced and non negligible, but talk to your faculty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)