Year 12 Holidays (1 Viewer)

only99.97

HSC
Hi guys, I'm just wondering what I should be doing these holidays to prepare for year 12. My subjects are English Advanced, 4U Maths, Physics and last two units are probably going to be PDHPE. Is it a good idea to just prepare for next term and learn content using just my tutoring material from the former 3 subjects (because that's the method that has worked so far in year 11). What about my last two units (again probably PDHPE). Should I just wait to learn it at school. By the way what should I be doing during the SUMMER holidays as well? Any advice is appreciated

icycledough

HSC
Keep in mind that you don't want to burn yourself out before Term 4 starts, but you'd want to make the holidays as productive as you can. So finding the right balance is key here. With the advice I would give, note that it may not work for you, so you should also try out different variations of it and see which works best for you.

English Advanced - for the upcoming holidays, it's a good time to read your Common Module text (if you have been given it) and get to know what it is about, major ideas, characters, etc. While you don't actually have to start analyzing it in depth just yet, it's a good idea to not go into the term without a clue of what your text is about. In the summer holidays, perhaps reading the Modules texts (A, B, C) would be a good place to go, with the same reasons as mentioned above. As this is a 6 week break, perhaps you may want to go into a bit of analysis for the texts to better understand them.

4U Maths - alongside English, this will be your biggest subject for sure. The term holidays is a great time to brush up on any weak areas from MX1 in Year 11, as these concepts carry through into Year 12 and in more detail. Perhaps you don't actually have to work on past papers atm, but getting into the practice of attempting questions is honestly the only way to succeed in maths. The first 4U topic is usually Complex, although your school may do things properly. Knowing the order of topics beforehand can help you read a bit into them and start to understand some of the theory, before applying it into practice.

Physics - makes sense that you'll be moving into Module 5 next term: Advanced Mechanics, which builds up on Modules 1 and 2 from Year 11. So again, reading about Module 5 should put you in a good position for the term (as well as polishing up Modules 1 and 2, if necessary). For summer holidays, first term back is usually Module 6 (unless your school does Mod 6 next term as well towards the end), so the same thing applies as well, I guess.

PDHPE - you don't seem too convinced that this will make up your last 2 units. Can't really provide you much on PDHPE as I didn't do it, so don't know anything about the course.

Overall, don't work too much and burn yourself out even before Year 12 has started. Even something like 30 mins per day for each subject or whatever you decide to do will do you good before the term starts.

only99.97

HSC
Keep in mind that you don't want to burn yourself out before Term 4 starts, but you'd want to make the holidays as productive as you can. So finding the right balance is key here. With the advice I would give, note that it may not work for you, so you should also try out different variations of it and see which works best for you.

English Advanced - for the upcoming holidays, it's a good time to read your Common Module text (if you have been given it) and get to know what it is about, major ideas, characters, etc. While you don't actually have to start analyzing it in depth just yet, it's a good idea to not go into the term without a clue of what your text is about. In the summer holidays, perhaps reading the Modules texts (A, B, C) would be a good place to go, with the same reasons as mentioned above. As this is a 6 week break, perhaps you may want to go into a bit of analysis for the texts to better understand them.

4U Maths - alongside English, this will be your biggest subject for sure. The term holidays is a great time to brush up on any weak areas from MX1 in Year 11, as these concepts carry through into Year 12 and in more detail. Perhaps you don't actually have to work on past papers atm, but getting into the practice of attempting questions is honestly the only way to succeed in maths. The first 4U topic is usually Complex, although your school may do things properly. Knowing the order of topics beforehand can help you read a bit into them and start to understand some of the theory, before applying it into practice.

Physics - makes sense that you'll be moving into Module 5 next term: Advanced Mechanics, which builds up on Modules 1 and 2 from Year 11. So again, reading about Module 5 should put you in a good position for the term (as well as polishing up Modules 1 and 2, if necessary). For summer holidays, first term back is usually Module 6 (unless your school does Mod 6 next term as well towards the end), so the same thing applies as well, I guess.

PDHPE - you don't seem too convinced that this will make up your last 2 units. Can't really provide you much on PDHPE as I didn't do it, so don't know anything about the course.

Overall, don't work too much and burn yourself out even before Year 12 has started. Even something like 30 mins per day for each subject or whatever you decide to do will do you good before the term starts.
Thanks a lot for the reply!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)