Your longest lec/tut hours without breaks ? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
What's your longest hours that you have done without breaks ?
What's the longest hours that you recommend ?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Longest I had was in Semester 2 1st year with a block from 11am to 5pm with a 9am start.

If you're someone who gets hungry easily, i wouldn't recommend having a huge block within the typical lunch times. Similarly, if you find you have difficulty concentrating for long periods, don't opt for large blocks either. I found that the 6 hour block I had was fine personally, but it comes down to personal opinion.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
What's your longest hours that you have done without breaks ?
What's the longest hours that you recommend ?
I always have breaks between my classes or have a one hour tutorial/workshop after a two hour lecture (or vice versa). I have a friend who did six hours straight from 12-6 every Tuesdays but had Wednesday and Fridays off. NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS YOUR CLASS ATTENDANCE IS NOT COMPULSORY. I recommend that you should try to have at least one unit of classes per day with one day off (that is if the university you are attending allows flexible timetable creation *cough* UWS *cough*) If not then six hours with significant breaks with an 8 or 9 am start is good enough. =P

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
9.30am to 8.30pm. 11 hours. I think it was break free, though I may have had one near the start, making it 9 hours no break.

I've definitely done 8.30 to 5.30 no breaks, which wasn't as terrible as you'd think.

It all depends on what you can get. If you can cram everything together, it's worthwhile if you don't have to come in an extra day. Similarly, you'll regret any huge breaks you schedule for yourself.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Similarly, if you know that you are going to have a long day in advance, you can go to uni prepared for it. For example, you may get some extra sleep so you don't feel tired during classes.

Trust me and absolutezero with this, long hours without breaks aren't too tough provided you know what you are doing. You would be surprised at how many students aren't physically prepared to go to uni for sizable hours and to which I wonder how they will cope when they start full-time work.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Similarly, if you know that you are going to have a long day in advance, you can go to uni prepared for it. For example, you may get some extra sleep so you don't feel tired during classes.

Trust me and absolutezero with this, long hours without breaks aren't too tough provided you know what you are doing. You would be surprised at how many students aren't physically prepared to go to uni for sizable hours and to which I wonder how they will cope when they start full-time work.
+1 (Oh wait this isn't G+)

Only did it because my timetable next year (semester) literally has no breaks with 2 hour lectures and 2 hour tutorials and one hour workshops plus PASS after one another consecutively plus the downside is that the tutorial following the lecture are not of the same units. Wells if you and Absolutezero can handle no breaks and long hours... then *sobs* I can too. If I can handle babysitting two annoying twin toddlers who like nothing more then make your life a living hell for 12 hours then I can do this.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
+1 (Oh wait this isn't G+)

Only did it because my timetable next year (semester) literally has no breaks with 2 hour lectures and 2 hour tutorials and one hour workshops plus PASS after one another consecutively plus the downside is that the tutorial following the lecture are not of the same units. Wells if you and Absolutezero can handle no breaks and long hours... then *sobs* I can too. If I can handle babysitting two annoying twin toddlers who like nothing more then make your life a living hell for 12 hours then I can do this.
Also, keep in mind, for most course you can skip the lectures if you really want to, and PASS isn't mandatory either.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Also, keep in mind, for most course you can skip the lectures if you really want to, and PASS isn't mandatory either.
Some PASS classes I like to attend coz they are way more helpful then the actual tutorial itself and for lectures ~ true true ~ I always make my notes/read the lecture notes the day before and end up snoozing in class or annoying my friends who are "trying" to focus in class.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
Also, if you find yourself struggling, you don't have to adhere to the timetable provided.

Find what works for you. Lectures are interchangable so attend the one which is best suits your scheduling. Tutorials often involve interactions regardless of what unit you are taking. This helps engage you and keep you awake. Don't look a block of classes and feel daunted by it. You will find that the flexibility afforded to you at university gives you the opportunity to do as you please.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
3 hours. No more than that or I'll fall asleep.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
3 hours. No more than that or I'll fall asleep.
You're joking right? That's one lecture and tutorial or practical right there and then you're off to sleep? I can handle two units per day like last semester and still manage to pull through without yawning.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Seriously? I have classes that are longer than that.
You're joking right? That's one lecture and tutorial or practical right there and then you're off to sleep? I can handle two units per day like last semester and still manage to pull through without yawning.
Well, struggle to concentrate. Probably didn't help that the 3 hours were 11am-2pm, i.e. lunch time <_<

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Well, struggle to concentrate. Probably didn't help that the 3 hours were 11am-2pm, i.e. lunch time <_<
I think we all have that problem... but I drink a lot of caffeine (and by that I mean tea/chai lattes) so I'm always wide awake and jumpy.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
had 1pm - 8pm, so 7 hours.
pretty tough...i sometimes skipped the middle ones.
i'd recommend no more than 3 if possible

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
had 1pm - 8pm, so 7 hours.
pretty tough...i sometimes skipped the middle ones.
i'd recommend no more than 3 if possible
Out of curiosity, what's with UNSW and all those later hours? From experience, most of USYD's lectures and tutes are done by 5 but I hear many of my New South acquaintances staying till late.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)