yourformal.com scam; formals cancelled at last minute (2 Viewers)

sophia711

HSC
Any of you guys affected? Seems they didn't even bother organising anything. Took the money, pretended to be organising, and now have disappeared at the last minute. Good to see Fair Trading is now on the case.

Terrible for the students involved.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...te-yourformalcom/story-e6freuy9-1226193925922

AN urgent inquiry was launched after thousands of school leavers' formal and post-party plans were cancelled at the last minute by a website that had taken their money but not arranged events. The website yourformal.com yesterday appeared to operate as normal but its contact number went to a generic voicemail and emails to "enquiries" were returned "undeliverable".
Students across Sydney have been left reeling from losing hundreds of dollars each.
With up to 12 private schools understood to have used the company's services, as well as a similar number of public schools across Sydney's south and Sutherland Shire, the government yesterday moved in.
Fair Trading Minister Anthony Roberts said an urgent inquiry into yourformal.com and associated entities was under way.
"It is important organisers of school formals who used yourformal.com and have been left out of pocket contact Fair Trading," Mr Roberts said. "Those concerned about future bookings made through yourformal.com are also advised to contact Fair Trading."
But it wasn't just the lost funds leaving a hole in families across NSW.
"My daughter's Year 12 formal will not be the wonderful memory that so many people reflect on during their life," Stephen Zegarac said.
His daughter Danica's school Presbyterian Ladies College Croydon is among the worst affected.
They had booked their formal back in May, each girl paying $300.
But four days before their special night, the girls received a text saying the formal was cancelled and to go to the website to arrange a full refund.
There is nothing on the website that refers to refunds or cancellations.
Not only was his daughter out of pocket $300, she had also forked out hundreds more on a dress, shoes and all the trimmings.
"You can imagine that this is multiplied dozens of times over when you consider that it effects the entire class," he said.
Danebank School, Hurstville, Year 12 captain Nicole Moir said about 90 of her classmates had paid $40 each to yourafterparty.com for a post-formal event, the funds to cover a venue, a DJ and security. "I don't think they booked anything at all," she said.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Re: youformal.com scam; formals cancelled at last minute

Sucks for all the students affected. Really not fair for them to miss out on their last ever formal. I hope something will be done by their school or other agencies to provide students a new date/venue for their formal.

For the after-parties, I don't know why people organise it with agencies? Just plan it yourself by hiring a penthouse (cost a few grand, we did this (srs)) and go clubbing.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

Sucks for all the students affected. Really not fair for them to miss out on their last ever formal. I hope something will be done by their school or other agencies to provide students a new date/venue for their formal.

For the after-parties, I don't know why people organise it with agencies? Just plan it yourself by hiring a penthouse (cost a few grand, we did this (srs)) and go clubbing.
If you read the article it said that the hotel ran gave them the venue at cost price.

HSC
Uni Grad

my school had an afterparty organised by the same guys, http://yourafterparty.com/

my m8s have contacts a couple of radio stations and we were aired this morning, so far on FM 96.1 and FM 101.7

today tonight want to interview us this afternoon

jessxxr

HSC

yeahhhhh our formals tonight, we planned our after party with them through their yourafterparty.com business, we realised we weren't having an after party like 4 days ago, one of the organisers from the company then assured us that the other organiser was just an angry ex-employee trying to cancel everyone's stuff, so then the 'good' organiser told us our after party was back on, we called up the venue to check and surprise surprise it hadn't been paid, the guys then disconnected their numbers took like $7500 with them, a much more complicated story, but now everyone is left having to pay another $30 for the after party that was frantically organised ourselves with that venue anyway. BEING SCAMMED, GREAT END TO THE YEAR -_-

jessxxr

HSC

my school had an afterparty organised by the same guys, http://yourafterparty.com/

my m8s have contacts a couple of radio stations and we were aired this morning, so far on FM 96.1 and FM 101.7

today tonight want to interview us this afternoon
:( :( at least we still have an after party in the end now to look forward too

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

yeahhhhh our formals tonight, we planned our after party with them through their yourafterparty.com business, we realised we weren't having an after party like 4 days ago, one of the organisers from the company then assured us that the other organiser was just an angry ex-employee trying to cancel everyone's stuff, so then the 'good' organiser told us our after party was back on, we called up the venue to check and surprise surprise it hadn't been paid, the guys then disconnected their numbers took like $7500 with them, a much more complicated story, but now everyone is left having to pay another $30 for the after party that was frantically organised ourselves with that venue anyway. BEING SCAMMED, GREAT END TO THE YEAR -_-
nsw fair trading is your friend.

HSC
Uni Grad

i really hope nothing happens with today tonight though...

i don't want to be associated with a show for bogans :(

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A

Shout outs!!!!!

"shout out to all ma bois on bored of studies, we made it big bros, we made it big".

HSC
Uni Grad

no i wouldn't associate bos on such a trashy tv show

HSC
Uni Grad
my favourite is asians buying our farmland, because they get to use the graphic of australia with foreign flags coming in and taking over

jessxxr

HSC

yeahhhh true especially if they're going to come when we're taking our group photos, like yeah everyone will look their best on tv ahaah but its just gonna be annoying

jessxxr

HSC

nsw fair trading is your friend.
i tried to lodge a complaint through their website last night and when i went to send my complaint it said it was under maintenance or something ffs haha, but yeahh they're definitely gonna get contacted by many!!

Cass1993

HSC

We just had ours cancelled and their statement on the website about the cancellation of all parties is pathetic. They seem to be placing all blame on the ex-employee Trent, however our grade got in touch with him and his side of the story is making a lot more sense than theirs. DO NOT use this company, just in case all the media attention hasn't made that clear enough

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

lol site looks legit haha

kfnmpah

HSC

Shout outs!!!!!

"shout out to all ma bois on bored of studies, we made it big bros, we made it big".
this. I expect a special mention.

Not gonna lie, pretty clever to run a scam like this. So many people are willing to invest so much money in their yr 12 formal. I'm surprised this doesn't occur more often.

It's shit, though, but still, clever.

edit: lol, fuck plc bitches paid 300 each. What retards.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A

What their banner should look like :

oisac

HSC
l believe this comment on the daily telegraph sums it up.

"Paul of Sydney Posted at 6:50 AM Today
Why do people insist on trusting a website with thousands of your hard earned dollars. I would be having a face to face with the people first. Websites are great for a general overview but you should never deal in large sums of money without seeing a real human first."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)