Youth Allowence... (1 Viewer)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Ive seen a few topics and ive seen the centrelink website but i hasnt really answered my questions.

I want to apply to get youth allowence but i dont know if im able to get it .

Im 18 doing tafe full time and im really struggling to balance my studies and my job as I work Nightshift. I also dont make enough to pay for my fuel, lunch and supplies. I cant even buy new clothes, (I feel like a dag wearing the same clothes each week)

My Parents help me out alot but they have other things to worry about too.

My dad has an income over 50,000 pa and we own our house so Im thinking they will see that as too much to claim youth allowence.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think centrelink assume your parents will just have to pay for everything you can't for example your clothes or supplies

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
im not independent, if i earned that much i wouldnt need bloody YA.

Im going to go in anyway just so i can say ive tried.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
With YA, how does the income bank thing work? Is that income bank a yearly thing? Because I heard a rumor that if you take 2 weeks off work your income bank goes back to zero, but that sounded really unlikely to me.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Income Bank starts at $6000 which centrelink gives you for as a student so each fortnight that you work and tell centrelink of the income you earned.

Eg. You start off at $6000 Income Bank

First fortnight you work you earned say $300 (before Tax as this is the figure centrelink wants for income bank) ------ So as a student the first $236 doesn't affect your payment and income bank cause centrelink allows you to earn that much before affecting anything.

So that leaves $64 which you went over that fortnight in normal things your YA payment would be affected but since you have income bank
Centrelink takes that $6000 - $64 = $5936

Leaving your Income bank with $5936 which your still entitle to

This happens every fortnight with your first $236 earned not affecting your Income bank and anything after that affecting it.

Which you run out of Income bank your YA will get affected.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
I just notice that my explanation was not that good.

So if after you read that and still have question just post.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oh ok.... so you get your YA payment. Then you can earn your $232 a fortnight.... so that's just over $6000 a year. Then you can earn another $6000 on top of that annually because of the income bank?

Is that right?? Because if it is that is awesome.....

I thought that you could only get your YA and then earn $6000 per annum on top of that.... or is that right and I have just gotten confused?

Ribbon

I thought the income bank started at $0, and then you accumulated income bank $$ by not working...

so if the first fortnight Jo gets paid YA he earns $50 over $234 ($284 gross) and has $0 in his income bank, so Jo looses $0.5 for every dollar earnt over $234. That means Jos second payment would have $25 taken out of it, because he eanrt $50 more than you were allowed to.

If Jane doesn't work at all in her first fortnight of recieveing YA, her income bank will go from $0 to $234. This means in her second fortnight of recieving YA she can eanr up to $468 ($234 already in income bank, + $234 allowed to earn for the fortnight) before she looses money from her payments.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Ye, I just have to wait 18 months, I probably will have earn't that much by then, if not more.

dre

HSC
Youth allowance

[FONT=Century Gothic]Just a quick question cause im really confused....

say next year i move out of home and share accomodate but i am not working and i will be a part time uni student am i entitled to anything and if so what and how much??????

im really lost with this youth allowance thing,

Thank you! :)
[/FONT]

G

Gavvvvvin

So they sent me this letter the other day saying that if im not gonna be studying next year Im not gonna get youth allowance anymore. So they wanna know if im gonna study next year, but I dont know what to tell them cos I dont know if im gonna go to uni or not. So what should I tell them?

sladehk

le random
HSC
Yea, but if you work enough, then you will earn over teh threshold

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i'm confused......so what happens when i start working, and i get 236 or whatever per fortnight....what's an income bank? a register of how much you earn? or money that you keep in your bank and don't spend....lol..what happens when you go over 6000 in each circumstance, while still earning 236...i don't get a decrease of payment right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)