Yr 11 German Listening Skills (1 Viewer)

Mon17

HSC
hi!

in about 2 wks time, i have a german listening assessment and it is not really my greatest strength and i was wondering if there was anyone who would give me some tips on how to improve/approch my listening, also if any you of have some useful phrases for german speaking that would be really great coz speaking isnt my greatest strength either.

thanks,

Monique:D

HSC
i did japanese but meh its learning a language.

the problem with listening is mainly vocab. go through all your vocab. and make sure you know them well. speak as much as you can in german. use as many words as you can in essays/written tasks they give you, just to get used to using that word and you remember it more if you use them in essays.

get listening to as many tapes as you can (im sure you can borrow some from your teacher) and try to write down as much as you can understand from listening to them. also, if you have time/can be bothered watch some german movies/news.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I did German at Uni and School. Watatank is correct. Listen to as much German as you can. Try and watch German shows on SBS, catch the German news on SBS radio if you can, or get someone to tape it for you. You can stream it off the internet as well. That can be good to do, because then you can listen to it over and over and get a feel for what they are saying.

The neat thing about listening to the radio news is: 1. listen to it in English on another radio station and then 2. listen to it in German. You know what they are talking about and are more likely to understand the words that are unfamiliar.

Also, catch the Deutsche Welle news on SBS TV if you can. They speak fast, but again, if you know the news stories you will be better off.

In terms of speaking, don't try and translate in your head, ie don't think about what you want to say in English and then try and say it in German. Just start talking German, use the words you think fit and just move on. Don't dwell on mistakes. (I once said I had missed the bus but in such a way that it meant I was missing it

Think of the simplest way to say something - the KISS formula (keep it simple stupid). THIS IS KEY!

Certainly, learn some key phrases for particular circumstances, especially "Nach meiner Meinung" und so weiter. To get a good set of these, get a phrase book for travellers, they are really great for that sort of thing.

AND PRACTICE! Practice with your friends. Say, "for the next half and hour we are only going to talk in German" and do it. It is hard and you will find there are a lot of things you won't know how to say BUT you are allowed to use a dictionary. It can be a lot of fun.

Hope that helps.

Und auch kannst du hier mit anderem auf Deutsch reden. Dass macht auch Spaß.

Viel Glück!

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
You should watch Inspector Rex. Nevermind that the characters are all stupid now (i miss alex!!!), but yeah, it's good. It was made especially for people learning german, so the grammar/vocab level is not too hard.

And, yeah, listening to tapes is really good. Just do as much listening as you can. listen listen listen!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)