Yr.12 Space PRAC exam (1 Viewer)

simbim21

unswMed07
HSC
Hey,
does anyone know a possible question that would be given for our first prac assessment on space? its probably got to do with projectile motion- actually im quite sure about that, but not sure about what they may ask us to do.

Any ideas or has anyone done such an assessment? Thanks

Wackedupwacko

HSC
they could ask theoritical experiment... the other experiments are likely calculate g from this experiment (like my prac assessment- pendulm one). a proper projectile motion prac would be too difficult to do in an exam situation.... so if its projectiles its like something theoretical....

Oritsuro

HSC
Yes...most probably will be a pendulum practical. Not much else in the syllabus to test you on...projectiles would most probably get too hectic. Just remember that formula for calculating g from a pendulum.

tennille

HSC
It may be the projectile one with the ramps and stuff. We did that last year.

simbim21

unswMed07
HSC
it could be the pendulum one, but we've already done it in class. also, our teacher told us that it'd be something on projectile motion. Tennille, can you please tell me what your projectile prac (ramps and stuff) was.

Your help is much appreciated! thanks

Riviet

HSC
N/A
For my prac assessment, I had to measure the acceleration of a trolley rolling down a ramp. It was soo easy that i topped the assessment with 38/41. :)

tennille

HSC
simbim21 said:
it could be the pendulum one, but we've already done it in class. also, our teacher told us that it'd be something on projectile motion. Tennille, can you please tell me what your projectile prac (ramps and stuff) was.

Your help is much appreciated! thanks
Basically it was using ramps, and calculating how long it takes for a ball to roll down a certain distance. By knowing the horizontal distance, time and vertical distance (the height of the ramp), you can determine each component of the velocities and therefore calculate the final velocity from the two components, by using vectors. I think we calculated it from Pythagoras' theorem.

HSC
Don't know if its too late.. but:
We didnt do this as an assessment, but we did some pracs on projectiles using computer simulations.. sort of hard to prepare yourself for without the software though. Basically the program just shows you a video clip of say, a ball being thrown across a room, and then you go back frame by frame and mark the ball's trajectory and from this the computer draws up all sorts of graphs like acceleration vs displacement or time, or whatever.. then we were just asked stuff like, what was the balls acc. at time t... etc.
What exaxctly have you been told about this assessment, other than its on space and its a prac? So, are you doing it individually? in groups? will you be in your normal classroom? or have they given you a room change so that you'll be in the computer lab etc? will the teacher perform the prac and you just take notes then sit a paper? or will you be given equipment and have to do it yourself? You can prob deduce a fair amount about what the prac will be like if you know the answers to these sort of questions.. and then just study/practice accordingly. Check up what pracs your textbooks have for this topic, at our school that would give you a good indication of what could be expected of you, and then the teacher would just modify it slightly so you didnt know exactly what was required of you beforehand. I guess it depends on how lazy/creative your teacher is as to whether it will be something like everything else you've done or something completely random.
All the best.

simbim21

unswMed07
HSC
thanks heaps for the ideas. i did the prac on thursday and it was a shocker! We had a Galileo ruler acting as a ramp and we had to roll a steel ball down the ramp from different heights along the rule and measure the rang each time. we had a tray of sand for the ball to land into to make it easier to see, but we had balls flying across the classroom. it was sooo frustrating. o well, we'll see how i goes!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Sounds similar to my prac. We used trolleys instead of balls though.

_ShiFTy_

HSC
I also have a Physics Prac Assessment on Thursday. Its on the Space topic and we have to bring scissors and a stop watch. Is there anything else they could give us apart from trolleys/balls down ramps etc?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Scissors??? What would they get you to do with that? :confused:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I also have a Physics Prac Assessment on Thursday. Its on the Space topic and we have to bring scissors and a stop watch. Is there anything else they could give us apart from trolleys/balls down ramps etc?

I believe you'll be tested on the pendulum experiment - scissors to cut the string to make the pendulum as necessary, stopwatch to time the swings. There isn't any other prac in that topic that comes to mind as requiring scissors.

I_F

bE_On_eDGe

HSC
Ha Ha my prac test is gonna be late next year... By that time i'll have no idea what were gonna be tested on. Probably about Space or Motors and Generators...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
scissors to cut the string to make the pendulum as necessary
Oh yeah, of course... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
ive already done mine its pretti easy,...find g with a pendulum, stopwatch, etc.

Ghost1788

HSC
atwoods machine...i say no more
best be prepared with a few experiments to cater for a variety of equipment availiablility

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
so what did u guys get for ur prac exam?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'll get my one back when school goes back - our assessment was the second last day of term 4... :(

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)