YR11 SUBJECT SELECTION help! thanks xx (1 Viewer)

scholarpuppy

HSC
N/A
Hello!
I am YR10 in a top selective school, soon going to go through the YR11 subject selection process and willing to accept any advice at all. I am aiming to get a 98+ atar and I hope to study entrepreneurship/economics and design a double degree or medicine. Thank you.

I plan on taking:
- English Extension 1 (Love)
- Maths Extension 1 (Love)
- Chemistry (Love)
- Economics (Unsure)
- Textiles (planning to drop in YR12) (Unsure)

Economics/Textiles:
I am doing economics at the moment in commerce and I find it really hard to grasp the information, I'm scared if I pick it in yr11 and it turns out I don't enjoy it, I have to stick with it because, in some ways, I would not prefer to do textiles in year 12. Should I stick to my current selections or possibly change textiles into another subject or any other selections? Also, does economics get better? Because at the moment it seems very complicated and frankly not very fun. Also, I really don't enjoy 1/2 of my economic's teacher's teaching style. However, the main reason I am taking it is that I hope it is a good catalyst for hopefully my future job in business.

General:
If anyone has advice on these subjects it would help a tonne! Or any other subject you would highly recommend taking. Also, will these subject selections be too much of a heavy workload? (Or if any of them are really boring - because I don't learn well if they aren't fun.)

THANKS SO MUCH! XOXO :D:p

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It's great that you're confident about most of your subjects.

Some of my friends who did Economics actually enjoyed it despite finding it a bit harder than Business Studies (which is a subject you should also consider if you're interested in commerce/economics at tertiary level).

I think that since you go to a top selective school, you will likely enjoy Economics at year 11 and HSC level. I also think it will be significantly different than year 10 commerce and content will matter more than teaching style.

username_2

HSC
It is nice that you like most of your subjects, especially chemistry but I would be wary. Chemistry is content-heavy and so is economics but I think you can definitely manage it as long as you schedule it properly. It also helps that you have a subject that you can break free with (the textiles) and even if you drop it, you have some more time on your hand which is all the better! Final remarks on your atar goal - don't worry so much about scaling and stuff like that - choose the subjects you like and do as best as you can - you will definitely get past the target by quite a bit. All the best :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)