Official BOS Trial 2014 Thread (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've made the threads in the relevant sections for all of you to discuss the papers =)

2 Unit Paper

Extension 1 Paper

Extension 2 Paper

Thank you so much everybody for coming! It was a great event and a huge success. It was a great view from my perspective, seeing all these hard-working students labouring over the papers and racking their brains as to what to do next, or how they can use their Mathematical tools.

Once again, I do apologise for the delay with regards to starting the 2U/4U papers later due to printing, this was my fault and something to improve on for next time =) My words cannot express how appreciative I am of all of you coming to attempt the papers, when you've got such little time left until your HSC Examinations.

Seeing the students buzzing right after I said "Pens Down" was something unlike any other event I've experienced (even other BOS Trials!). "How did you do this one?", "Wow.", "Did you get X for Question Y?" were common things said, and I loved hearing students discuss their various methods of proof and calculations. I'm so proud of all of you for having attempted this, despite it being no where near an accurate depiction of the HSC difficulty-wise. Well done everybody!

And although I have already said my thanks in person, I'd like to give them out again. It is the least I can do to express my gratitude.

First, another huge thank you to Trebla, for spending countless hours doing the following:

- Checking solutions
- Verifying correct-ness of the steps
- Checking HSC-friendliness
- Checking syllabus coverage
- Pestering me to churn out the questions
- Driving back and forth from his place to mine to spend many hours discussing the paper

Without his help, the papers would not be what they are now, for all of you.

Secondly, to the University of Sydney for providing us with a venue that can accommodate the volume we had, as well as our lunches (which I actually was not expecting at all). We had access to good exam-conditions (nicely spread out tables, solid tables, non-creaky chairs, as menial as they sound I feel that they have a role to play in terms of your comfort as an examinee) that we would otherwise not have. I hope to further build our relationships between the website and the University.

Thirdly, to the assistants who came on the day. I know it must have been extremely tiring and boring to sit there to supervise the exam when you could do something else much more interesting/productive (such as studying of course!). Thank you for ensuring that the event today ran as smoothly as possible. Without your help, the shenanigan with the printing would not have been resolved in a timely manner, and we may have had to provide students with blank paper instead for their writing booklets!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, congratulations to all who have successfully completed the paper to the best of your efforts (that's the main part, that it was to the best of your efforts, not your mark necessarily). It was a challenging set of exams, and you all survived!

Take this as a learning experience, and also as an opportunity to appreciate that Mathematics is more than just mindless calculations and boring derivations. Unexpected topics being mixed together (who in their right mind would think that SHM mixed with Projectile Motion would yield such a neat result???) yield unexpected, yet sometimes amazingly pretty results.

There are some neat things that can be proven, using the tools we are provided with at the high school level. It's now just a matter of gaining access to them, which is why I am here to provide such a service.

Good luck all for your HSC, and I hope to see you all leaving high school with a greater appreciation of Mathematics =)

----------------------------------------------------------------

The solutions will be released some time next week, and I aim to have the results out by around mid-October, but before your HSC Examinations for Maths of course!

I am aware that each of the papers had some mis-prints, which I'll be addressing before uploading a copy of the exam online. Hang tight!

Notice Board:

- I highly recommend any Extension 2 student to attend BOTH Extension 1 AND 2.

- Please post here if you have any questions.

- Please let me know in this thread if I've forgotten to add you or one of your friends to the list.

- Any further registrations will be added to a reserve list for 2 unit and Extension 2 due to reaching full capacity

* indicates that this user is bringing along a friend.

Reserve list (Extension 2): [5 people]

allgazims
the wobbulator
cashmoe
notjharrison
Crescenter
itsalberttrinh

Attendance list (Extension 2): [66 people]
Kurosaki
esaitchkay
redjr
megusta
trapizi
bloodruby_30
mirachael
hpph66
tomnomnom696
Osmium
Osmium*
esaitchkay*
emilios
Immortality
miggy1996
RealiseNothing
dunjaaa
dunjaaa*
gahyunkk
Archive077
kyusungasong
Indoz
iStudent
3ddementor
amithkamath
Fade1233
Fade1233*
Cloud
fundownsouthi
KTrojan
aDimitri
3ddementor*
QZP
QZP*
QZP*
Chocality
stealerhat
EpaX
aDimitri*
sushanta
Tugga
hpph66*
Machiavelli1
Nelch
Jamzz
egress
Suupdq
robtob
Kurosaki*
ttiiinnnnaaaaa
DragonAge
clockworkorange
lilytao2014
Amanda_
SittingForMathsExams
nomadz
FallenDepths
mojodojo
galligalli
clinton88
Ixuvia
stealerhat*
aoniumz
noreplyz
icecreamfudge
icecreamfudge*

Attendance list (Extension 1): [75 people]

esaitchkay
trapizi
trapizi*
bloodruby_30
mirachael
hpph66
tomnomnom696
Osmium
Osmium*
esaitchkay*
emilios
Immortality
miggy1996
gahyunkk
kyusungasong
Indoz
iStudent
3ddementor
amithkamath
SuxMATH
Fade1233
Fade1233*
dunjaaa*
Cloud
fundownsouthi
KTrojan
aDimitri
3ddementor*
megusta
Chocality
integral95
stealerhat
WhoStanLeee
EpaX
youngsky
aDimitri*
Kurosaki
Nukeboy
sushanta
Tugga
hpph66*
Nelch
Jamzz
egress
Suupdq
robtob
Kurosaki*
DragonAge
clockworkorange
lilytao2014
Amanda_
SittingForMathsExams
FallenDepths
mojodojo
galligalli
aDimitri*
aDimitri*
clinton88
bengosha60
bengosha60*
bengosha60*
bengosha60*
bengosha60*
stealerhat*
aoniumz
noreplyz
the wobbulator
icecreamfudge
icecreamfudge*
immabighero
cashmoe
anthony_wheels
immabighero
Crescenter
Korra

Attendance list (Advanced): [16 people]
trapizi*
trapizi*
trapizi*
SuxMATH
WhoStanLeee
Nukeboy
Nukeboy*
youngsky
bengosha60
bengosha60*
bengosha60*
bengosha60*
bengosha60*
josh1904
HSC_killer
Korra

Hi all,

Welcome to another year in our series of our infamous Mathematics exams!

Similarly to last year, we will be hosting three exams. Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2.

Students who have previously sat these exams, I invite you all to share your experiences in here and to discuss the papers. Please feel free to spam it up in here (within reason of course!)

In Previous Years...

Here are the links to the threads for last year's exams.

The actual exams can be found in our Resources section here! Just select 2 Unit, Extension 1 or Extension 2 for the appropriate paper.

2013 Extension 2

2013 Extension 1

2013 Mathematics Advanced

Introduction

The Bored of Studies Mathematics Trials are aimed at students seeking a challenging paper that will push their limits. In 2013, there were a number of state rankers in Extension 2 who were present on the day. These students scored 60-70% in the BOS Trials. The exams are designed carefully to stay as much within the bounds of the syllabus as possible, whilst maintaining a high standard of questions and proofs of further results. In short, if you think you are good at Mathematics, these papers are most certainly for you.

Students will sit the examination under supervised exam conditions and will be allowed to keep their copy of the exam paper to bring home. Afterwards, a team of markers will be marking the exam papers. Results are expected to be released by the 12th of October.

Fully worked solutions will be provided either on the day of the exam or over the next few days following it. These solutions are carefully explained to allow students to maximise their understanding of the deeper and underlying concepts.

Students who may be worried about losing motivation (due to results) are reminded that this is not intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC. The questions are made to be as closely styled to HSC as possible (see previous exams), but this will be your last chance to practise a full exam as close to HSC conditions as possible.

Details

How Do I Register?

Please make a post in here stating that you will be sitting the exam paper, and then send me a private message through here.

In your private message, please use the following template (this information will not be disclosed to the public, and is kept for our references only).

Name:

School:

Exams I wish to sit:

If you do not have an account, please feel free to make one.

Also, please feel free to invite your friends, provided that they suit the recommendations (read below).

When:

All exams will be hosted on Friday the 3rd of October.

Extension 2 and 2 unit 9:30am - 12:30pm

Break

Extension 1 3pm - 5pm.

Where:

All exams will be hosted at the University of Sydney! Many thanks to them for providing us with a venue to host these exams. We are highly thankful for their assistance in hosting such an event.

Merewether Lecture Room 3 (Room 273)

What to bring:

Yourself and usual exam kit such as pens, calculator etc. No paper is necessary, as we will be providing you with writing booklets, just like in the HSC Examination.

Recommended:

It is highly recommended that students attempting the paper are comfortably in the Band 6/E4 range, aiming for 94+ in any of the Mathematics subjects. The exams will very thoroughly examine your ability to understand how topics are used, and the theory behind concepts.

Favour:

If you know anybody who is good at Mathematics or a 'beast' at it, I ask that you link them to this page. We want to put the best people in the state up against each other for this exam. Consider it a challenge from myself.

Challenge:

I challenge anybody to score higher than 70% in the Mathematics Extension 2 test. State rankers typically fall in the 60-70% range, but nobody has yet broken the 70 mark. Do you think you are good? Perhaps you can be the first.

Cost:

No cost at all. I believe such content should be free to distribute. Education and access to good resources should be unrestricted when sought after.

I look forward to seeing you all on the day!

Carrotsticks.

Last edited:

integral95

HSC
Might consider doin Ext 1 :p

and what would be the prize for getting over 70 in Ext 2?

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC
I wish to sit the MX1 and MX2 exams

If I break your 70% benchmark do I get a prize?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)