Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Musk said:
WTF?

Selected? Explain
You go for an interview to become one of those 'yellow shirt' people. There are several applicants so there's not always a chance you'll get in.

Though personally I am surprised that you didn't, Huratio ;-;

Edit: typed applications instead of applicants @_@

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
ragnarok said:
You go for an interview to become one of those 'yellow shirt' people. There are several applications so there's not always a chance you'll get in.

Though personally I am surprised that you didn't, Huratio ;-;
Jenny doesn't like me.

Also, I didn't think I increased my chances by telling her that I accepted an accounting internship for these holidays after she said alot of work had to be done beforehand.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Camp Coordinator/FIT Marketing Manager

auzmericans

Fancy Dress Party...
HSC
Interesting conversation :p

First of all, I dont really know much about the UTS IT hierarchy but i'm surprised as well because i was looking forward to meeting you Huratio, i've noticed you've been a great help to everyone interested in IT at UTS.

Secondly, I'm kinda surprised at how little information was actually given about the camp until last night, now im supposed to just print off all these forms and make my way alllll the way over to UTS to hand them in on the 6th of Feb? Very weird. I dont mind so much because I chose that day for my enrolment so i'll be there anyway but if I hadn't by chance, decided to log on to bored of studies and check my old posts I would have had no idea about the thing at all... Now im not about to start having a go at someone i've never met or heard of besides on this Board, but if Jenny is co-ordinating/marketing the camp... well... all im saying is I hadnt heard about it till late last night, and i wouldnt have if i didnt log on here... maybe i missed something important that i should have seen earlier. If so then i apologise! but yeah, just my two cents...

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
auzmericans said:
Even if they did mention it, and you didn't remember it, I'd say they probably didn't push it hard enough then. They generally try to get everyone to go. Personally, I'd recommend you go because it is a lot of fun and you do meet..interesting people. The umm 'accomodation' isn't the best there is, and the food can be lacking at times (but it's not too bad) but it's all bearable.

The only thing I wished they did when I went was to segregate cabins by course instead of just randomly shoving people in. I don't think I've ever seen some of the people I saw at the camp again because they're in different courses and therefore generally don't share all the same classes. I guess it kind of works both ways though, eh?

And don't worry auzmericans, there will be plenty of vital bits of information that'll be left out for you, or that'll be very vague throughout your university career :D Just one of the perks of having some great members of staff.

auzmericans

Fancy Dress Party...
HSC
ragnarok said:
Personally, I'd recommend you go because it is a lot of fun and you do meet..interesting people. The umm 'accomodation' isn't the best there is, and the food can be lacking at times (but it's not too bad) but it's all bearable.
So basically it's like every other camp i've been to... :D

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
auzmericans said:
So basically it's like every other camp i've been to... :D
Hehe, exactly!

Musk said:
Is there booze
Alcohol isn't permitted. Apparently the engineering camp had beer provided but eh, not like that'd do my any good :p

Jase_ should know all about this stuff, he was a yellow shirter when I went.

auzmericans

Fancy Dress Party...
HSC
I remember all the students and teachers being completely wasted on the last night of year 11 camp. All the kids had snuck in bottles of spirits etc and saved them till the last night, which just happend to be when the teachers were celebrating their last night with some bottles of red wine, needless to say it was hilarious, because they were too drunk to control the drunk kids...

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
auzmericans said:
I'm kinda surprised at how little information was actually given about the camp until last night, now im supposed to just print off all these forms and make my way alllll the way over to UTS to hand them in on the 6th of Feb? Very weird. I dont mind so much because I chose that day for my enrolment so i'll be there anyway but if I hadn't by chance, decided to log on to bored of studies and check my old posts I would have had no idea about the thing at all... Now im not about to start having a go at someone i've never met or heard of besides on this Board, but if Jenny is co-ordinating/marketing the camp... well... all im saying is I hadnt heard about it till late last night, and i wouldnt have if i didnt log on here... maybe i missed something important that i should have seen earlier. If so then i apologise! but yeah, just my two cents...

hey guys, im jess and i'm one of the yellow shirts for the camp, so i can't wait to meet you all soon! there is 12 of us yellow shirts plus another 2 senior yellow shirts who will all be at camp to provide you with answers to every single question about uni!

you should all be receiving a letter with all the information about the camp in the mail shortly - we posted out a truckload of letters at the end of the week to every single IT 08 student. we couldnt provide much information about the camp until we knew who was going to be attending so thats why there hasn't been too much info so far... but there has been heaps of work behind the scenes.

last year it was a lot easier because we were able to do credit card transfers and online forms but due to changes at UTS:IT, we can't do that any more so we need everyone to come down and sign in at uni. it also means you can check out your new campus before uni and enrollment is too and meet some of your fellow campers.

if you've got any more questions about the camp, feel free to post them here and i can try and answer them!

Beege

HSC
If I get into BscIT in the late round, hopefully I'll be seeing you guys at the camp!

Fingers crossed!

auzmericans

Fancy Dress Party...
HSC
Beege? are you telling me that with an 82.5 you didnt get into BScIT main round? With ur subjects adding up to 87.5 with bonus points? Or did u get an offer for the BBus/BScIT and said no so you could get the BScIT late round? If so then u've got no problems theres still vacancies and I got a main round offer with 67.75... lol (but i also had EAS and Bonus Points so that gave me like +15 uai lol)..

Beege

HSC
auzmericans said:
Beege? are you telling me that with an 82.5 you didnt get into BScIT main round? With ur subjects adding up to 87.5 with bonus points? Or did u get an offer for the BBus/BScIT and said no so you could get the BScIT late round? If so then u've got no problems theres still vacancies and I got a main round offer with 67.75... lol (but i also had EAS and Bonus Points so that gave me like +15 uai lol)..
Haha yeah pretty much except it was for media and communications at UNSW which I originally wanted to do but now I don't want to after reading more about the stuff you have to do in the course haha. I want to do BscIT at first and I may or may not change to the combined degree, i'll see how I go. But yeah the BscIT looks really appealing.

Beege

HSC
Musk said:
you fell for the marketing style of unsw didnt ya
I was expecting a full on multimedia production course but I'm not interested in philosophy and languages etc.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
auzmericans said:
First of all, I dont really know much about the UTS IT hierarchy but i'm surprised as well because i was looking forward to meeting you Huratio, i've noticed you've been a great help to everyone interested in IT at UTS.
There are serious problems with the recruitment process. You could fill out a half-assed application form and still be selected to go to the group interview (No one gets rejected in the written application form). Also, the group interviews are not pushed at your knowledge of the FIT and its courses rather your presentation skills only. Every year, there seems to be a large skew of BIT students selected too- which does not cover the whole of the knowledge base intended.

ragnarok said:
The only thing I wished they did when I went was to segregate cabins by course instead of just randomly shoving people in. I don't think I've ever seen some of the people I saw at the camp again because they're in different courses and therefore generally don't share all the same classes. I guess it kind of works both ways though, eh?
I totally agree. But it should be better now- seeing that BBusBComp is now BBusBScIT and those students who are doing this course will do the same courses to those in the straight BScIT course. Also, BIT student's first semester subjects has always been the same as those taken by BScIT students.

Last edited:

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
Huratio said:
There are serious problems with the recruitment process. You could fill out a half-assed application form and still be selected to go to the group interview (I don't think anyone gets rejected in the written application stage). The group interviews are not pushed at your knowledge of the FIT and its courses rather your presentation skills only. Every year, there seems to be a large skew of BIT students selected too- which does not cover the whole of the knowledge base intended.
did you apply for SPROUTS? I think that knowledge of FIT is way more important in that than in yellow shirts. you would (im not sure if you got it or not) have been a really good sprout because you do have a pretty wide knowledge of the faculty.

I know that in my interview there was a section where we had to speak to a student about FIT (it was more for sprouts but i think it gave jenny a bit of an idea about students' knowledge about the faculty), so its not just presentation skills.. a lot of the yellow shirts are sprouts as well and we were chosen to be sprouts because we have an extensive knowledge of FIT.

i don't think it matters if you're a BIT or not though.. there was a lot of trouble getting enough candidates for ys/sprouts this year (hence the group of emails we got) and there was a lot more BITs who tried out for it than previous years. even though im a BIT, i still have a lot of knowledge about BScIT too... just like the way that you know heaps about all the different courses at UTS... besides, on the camp its the staff who explain the courses not the students.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
help_me_please said:
did you apply for SPROUTS? I think that knowledge of FIT is way more important in that than in yellow shirts. you would (im not sure if you got it or not) have been a really good sprout because you do have a pretty wide knowledge of the faculty.

I know that in my interview there was a section where we had to speak to a student about FIT (it was more for sprouts but i think it gave jenny a bit of an idea about students' knowledge about the faculty), so its not just presentation skills.. a lot of the yellow shirts are sprouts as well and we were chosen to be sprouts because we have an extensive knowledge of FIT.

i don't think it matters if you're a BIT or not though.. there was a lot of trouble getting enough candidates for ys/sprouts this year (hence the group of emails we got) and there was a lot more BITs who tried out for it than previous years. even though im a BIT, i still have a lot of knowledge about BScIT too... just like the way that you know heaps about all the different courses at UTS... besides, on the camp its the staff who explain the courses not the students.
Not sure why your interview was different to ours. We just had a group interview with a presentation and that was all. I went to the session on Wednesday- I believe there was a session on Tuesday too.

I've been rejected for both yellow shirts and SPROUTS in 2007 and 2008. Hence my conclusion that Jenny doesn't like me at all, as she has not given me any opportunity to participate.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
Huratio said:
Also, I didn't think I increased my chances by telling her that I accepted an accounting internship for these holidays after she said alot of work had to be done beforehand.
yeah i was at the tuesday one. i had a couple of friends at the wednesday one and they said it was run a bit differently because one of the girls was late?

i can't really say for 07 because i don't know what the situ was there, but for 08 it would have def been what you posted above. i had a couple of friends who didn't get in because they were doing ft jobs/internships. there is a heap of work that needs to be organised for the camp (im in the process of organising 2x30pg booklets, tshirts and helping with other admin tasks) so it does take a lot of work which ft people don't have.

i highly doubt that jenny hates you, its probably just things outside of your (and jennys) control that have probably prevented you to participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)