Year 11 Tips? HELP...advice for these subjects (1 Viewer)

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
Hey guys!
Next year I'll be in Year 11 and I'm pretty hyped right now. I have a vague idea on how year 11 works but if you could give me advice on any of these subjects (ie. tips, how to study, common questions) or tips in general it would be greatly appreciated.

My subjects are:
- Music 2
- Maths Ex 1
- Eng Ex 1
- Biology
- Chemistry

Thanks!

horse9996

HSC
For extension maths, do heaps of past papers when studying. If you don't understand a question, do extra stuff yourself and go outside the limits of what your teacher is setting you. Focus on harder application qs and 3u study rather than purely 2u as by studying 3u your 2u will naturally get good and the tests will seem relatively easy

Chemistry is really content heavy, so I'd make sure your constantly doing practice questions to deepen understanding in exam style application. I'd also make sure you do your study notes for all your subjects each weekend and use the syllabus for your notes. Also going ahead of the class and pre learning content can be helpful

Lumenoria

HSC
3u English is VERY different to the way in which 3u maths complements 2u maths as a "harder" version of its concepts - it is actually a completely different course to Advanced English. Thus, you have to be so much more self-driven in order to well. I would advise you to know your texts inside and out, do a LOT of context research on the influences of the era and the ways of thinking and basically immerse yourself to the point where you actually enjoy reading about it. This is paramount to success in the course because the questions in the HSC for Extension have an inclination to be quite specific and curveballs are pretty typical, so just basic knowledge won't cut it. Simply put, you are exponentially better off in Extension if you seek interest in your elective - otherwise you will probably burn out from the boredom anyway (70% of my class did) which you will otherwise make the class out to be. Not only is the content different to Advanced, but the standards are much higher imo. Your essays are expected to critically evaluate by fleshing out your own argument which must be supported by quotes from scholars, critics etc. And you also ultimately end up writing about 4 texts in an essay, so you have to be able to integrate and synthesise your response, as opposed to a block essay style for the 2 texts in Advanced. Also, it is much harder to achieve in the A range in Extension in my experience, so draft early and keep handing them into your teacher. Oh and also, not that this is within your control really, but your teacher can definitely make or break your experience in the course. Unfortunately I am currently experiencing the latter; however, earlier in the year, I had an incredible teacher who was so passionate about our elective and it made me look forward to class each lesson. That said, it is a lot of work for a single unit and frankly it always feels like it's just another 2 units of English. I know there is this tendency to prioritise Advanced - I know I certainly did in prelim - but dedication to Extension is also important if you want to achieve high marks. Advanced in itself is notorious for being difficult (not so much in prelim, but HSC is definitely a jump), so you might find it hard to balance the two. That's why I think you would highly benefit if you manage your time well and start your essays early! [emoji4] Also, this is from an HSC student doing the former syllabus (I'm assuming you'll be the first cohort to undertake the new one), so it may not be the most accurate but it should be pretty close nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, the only subjects that I have similar to you are 3u Maths and Chemistry, so I shall help you with those -

Extension 1 Maths -
This subject is an extension of the 2 unit course, and as such, it both ADDS content and BUILDS on previous content. --> This is especially true for the new syllabus
I would recommend that you keep up to date constantly with homework, trying your best to avoid falling behind as this may become a source of stress and worry. Additionally, keep up to date with study; this involves practice questions and past papers. Although your syllabus has changed, some topics are reasonably identical so some past papers pre-2018 will still be applicable.

Chemistry -
Chemistry is a content-based science subject. Looking through your syllabus, it require more understanding of particular concepts so focus on these. Make sure you keep your notes up to date every week; personally, I pick a day that best suits me (10:00pm Friday to 1:00am Saturday) to do notes for all my subjects. These can be paper or computer, as long as you are focusing and you write down the information. Build these notes off the SYLLABUS DOT POINTS as this is crucial --> You get asked exam questions from these dot points.

Best of luck :)

jjuunnee

HSC
Funny I did the same subjects as you! But I'll only talk about music and bio since the others covered the other subjects

Music 2
Kind of a weird subject in terms of studying for it because most questions in a test is based on just general musicology skills eg. whether you can analyse one of the six concepts in the piece. Of course you are required to know key features of 1600-1900 music plus your additional topic but you only really need to use that knowledge for the extended response at the end. Main thing to work on if you want to do really well in exams is speed. I find that it helps to write in dot points, so you don't waste time on words that don't get you the marks, and use reading time in between questions to write out your examples for the extended response so you have more time to write a mini essay in the 20mins you're given. With comps, get your teacher to listen to them heaps and give you feedback because that helps a lot. Also listen to other compositions to gain inspiration. With performances, just the usual practise is enough but if your teacher is willing to have non assessed performances in class that would be helpful.

Biology
The only thing you really need to do to do well is to keep on top of your notes- I would do them after each lesson at home, only takes about 15mins max. That way by the time you cover the content before an assessment you can spend your study time just reading over your notes. I would also make notes under each syllabus dot point, and then test myself by answering the dot points as questions, obviously after I felt confident with knowing the content. This also practises your writing and your ability to present the information succinctly, like you would in an exam. There's really not much else you can do for bio- it's quite a 'simple' subject that mainly tests your ability to recall information rather than apply

HoldingOn

HSC
Hey guys!
Next year I'll be in Year 11 and I'm pretty hyped right now. I have a vague idea on how year 11 works but if you could give me advice on any of these subjects (ie. tips, how to study, common questions) or tips in general it would be greatly appreciated.

My subjects are:
- Music 2
- Maths Ex 1
- Eng Ex 1
- Biology
- Chemistry

Thanks!
Within reason treat year 11 as the HSC. Imagine you are doing the HSC

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
Funny I did the same subjects as you! But I'll only talk about music and bio since the others covered the other subjects

Music 2
Kind of a weird subject in terms of studying for it because most questions in a test is based on just general musicology skills eg. whether you can analyse one of the six concepts in the piece. Of course you are required to know key features of 1600-1900 music plus your additional topic but you only really need to use that knowledge for the extended response at the end. Main thing to work on if you want to do really well in exams is speed. I find that it helps to write in dot points, so you don't waste time on words that don't get you the marks, and use reading time in between questions to write out your examples for the extended response so you have more time to write a mini essay in the 20mins you're given. With comps, get your teacher to listen to them heaps and give you feedback because that helps a lot. Also listen to other compositions to gain inspiration. With performances, just the usual practise is enough but if your teacher is willing to have non assessed performances in class that would be helpful.

Biology
The only thing you really need to do to do well is to keep on top of your notes- I would do them after each lesson at home, only takes about 15mins max. That way by the time you cover the content before an assessment you can spend your study time just reading over your notes. I would also make notes under each syllabus dot point, and then test myself by answering the dot points as questions, obviously after I felt confident with knowing the content. This also practises your writing and your ability to present the information succinctly, like you would in an exam. There's really not much else you can do for bio- it's quite a 'simple' subject that mainly tests your ability to recall information rather than apply
ayyyy what a nice coincidence! are you doing music ext for year 12? also do you remember any pieces from year 11 that anyone performed that were good? thanks so much :)

jjuunnee

HSC
ayyyy what a nice coincidence! are you doing music ext for year 12? also do you remember any pieces from year 11 that anyone performed that were good? thanks so much :)
nah not doing music ext because that would have placed me at 13 units which is way too much!
If I remember correctly, we had two performances: one had to be a baroque piece and another from 1600-1900, which was pretty crap for me because I play the sax. Can't remember specific pieces but there was a mixture of well-known pieces and not so well-known. I suggest choosing a piece that is not so well-known though because hopefully the markers wouldn't know the piece and hence you can kinda get away with a few mistakes (unless if you're performing a classical piece and you play a wrong note, which is therefore blatantly obvious haha). But anyway, ask your tutor for some good pieces because they would be able to help you find a piece that is challenging but able to reflect your skills

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
nah not doing music ext because that would have placed me at 13 units which is way too much!
If I remember correctly, we had two performances: one had to be a baroque piece and another from 1600-1900, which was pretty crap for me because I play the sax. Can't remember specific pieces but there was a mixture of well-known pieces and not so well-known. I suggest choosing a piece that is not so well-known though because hopefully the markers wouldn't know the piece and hence you can kinda get away with a few mistakes (unless if you're performing a classical piece and you play a wrong note, which is therefore blatantly obvious haha). But anyway, ask your tutor for some good pieces because they would be able to help you find a piece that is challenging but able to reflect your skills
alright cheers
i don't have a tutor anymore lol rip me
but it's only prelim so i can yolo it right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)