Handy Hints for the School Certificate (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Here are some good test habits that may help you move up to a higher band (hopefully band 6's).

ENGLISH
> its a skills test so its not what you say, but how you say it (in the extendeds)
> you need to be aware of purpose, context and audience with formulating answers
> control of language is a must: keep it simple, but add sophisticated language
> read each question thoroughly and deconstruct the extended response ones (write on the exam paper what you think each word in the question means
> time management: if your stuck on a question, move on, but come back to it and guess with your GUT INSTINCT
> pay attention to mark value and verbs in the question (explain, outline, why, how, what, analyse, evaluate, techniques etc)
> plan the longer responses (10/20 markers): this will help sustain and develop ideas rather than waffling on to fill up lines
> in Multiple Choice: don't think too hard, do the most obvious answer
> in short answer with a) b) and c) parts connect your answers together
> read all questions before you start writing so you don't waste time repeating yourself
> HOW = TECHNIQUES
> in sustained, lengthier answers, link the beginning to the end
> in multiple choice, assume the composer's perspective where it doesn't otherwise indicate
> don't panic: calm down, answer everything and really have a go no matter what they throw at you

MATHEMATICS
> take your time
> read the question carefully, they can be very wordy
> get a realistic answer
> check through the entire paper if possible
> do all the working on the exam paper, don't take any shortcuts unless you are comfortable at doing so
> slow and steady wins the race
> check non-calculator carefully
> don't answer questions on face value, read it all
> use all the rules and formulae wherever you can, no shorter, untrustworthy ways
> use your calculator if in doubt, more relaible that way
> do it the long (or better) way
> check, check, check
> the basic topics are number, algebra, data, measurement, space and geometry - revise easier topics this year and yrs 7,8 and 9 work too
> don't look at multiple choice possible answers whenever possible, then match up your answer
> in non-calculator, remember to simplify
> in short response, remember a) b) c) link with one another

SCIENCE
> content based on yr 9 and 10 topics but skills and process questions are a large part of the test
> a background knowledge helps
> DO NOT restate the question in the answer
> make individual points for each mark (1 mark = one valid point)
> TOPICS
- periodic table
- electricity
- genetics
- chemical reactions
- origins of the universe
- light
- fragile crust
- reproduction
- energy in ecosystems
- sense and control
- motion
- health and disease
- evolution
- global issues
> SKILLS AND ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE
- designing an experiment
- variables
- reliability, accuracy, validity
- data analysis and interpretation for e.g.
- interpolating (predicting inside a range of data)
- extrapolating (predicting outside the range of data)
- Why science is valuable to society (more scietific research leads to an increase in technology which leads to a better standard of living through medicine, understanding of past, complex process and ultimately, satisfies the human need of curiousity)
> don't repeat youself in science, clarity of expression is through succinct, individual dot points, logic is better than eloquence...

GEOGRAPHY/HISTORY
> content based particularly for short answers and extended responses
> skills come into multiple choice usually
> give the marker hard facts through examples and dates
> watch out for verbs in questions (explain, analyse means a depth of knowledge is needed, but outline and identify is much less in complexity, just state, list and name the facts
> explain means cause and effect (for changing technology, cause is the changing technology and effect is the impact on everyday life)
> HISTORY CONTENT
- impact of changing technology on everyday life in post-war Australia
- the social and cultural features of (ONE DECADE)
- Australia's response to communism in Asia
- Australia's repsonse to communism in Australia
- Australia's invovlement in the Vietnam war (reasons)
- differing views of Australia's involvement in the Vietnam war
- impact of the war on one chosen group
- changing government policies towards the Indigenous peoples over time
- the varying experiences of the stolen generations
- the role of the 1967 referendum and lands rights/native title in the struggle for Aboriginal peoples rights and freedoms
- choice of women or migrants and how their experiences, achievements and struggles have changed through time
- Australia's role in the United Nations, UNESCO, UN conventions, Colombo Plan, ANZUS, SEATO and the key features/developments in these
- someone who has shown people power (one individual and event)
- one prime minister of the post-war period; one major policy, an issue and their contribution to Australia's development
> GEOGRAPHY CONTENT
- geographical issues including air quality, coastal management, land and water management, spatial inequality, urban growth and decline and waste managment: describing the nature, impact and responses to the issues
- the depth study of TWO geographical issues (one will do i'd nearly think) including geographical processes, perceptions of different groups, individual, group and Government responses, decision making processes, and management of the issue with implications for sustainability, social justice and equity
- a RAP to be developed and implemented for ONE geographical issue (know this issue the best)
- the place of Australia in the world
- Australia's regoinal and global links (aid, communication, culture, defence, migration, tourism, trade and sport) descibing the nature of each
- ONE regional and global link (from AID, DEFENCE, MIGRATION OR TRADE) outlining the nature, roles of Government and NGO's to the link, treaties and agreements, the cultural, economic and geopolitical advantages and disadvantages of the link, and social justice and equity issues for Australia and other countries
- future challenges for population (current and future trends for e.g spaital distribution, age structure, growth rates, Government policies to manage population AND implications of population trends for e.g ecological sustainability, population movement, urban planning)
- future challenges for human rights and reconcilation (human rights agreements, responses of individuals, groups and Governments, responses of other nations, the implications of strategies and strategies that promote a better future)
> know the content and know how to apply it to a question (explain, analyse)
> fill up all the lines and plan all the written responses carefully, trying to cover all the content appropriate to the topic
> try to finish multiple choice as quickly, efficiently as manageable
> spend time according to mark value (aim for 20 mins for 15 marks which is a bit over a minute a mark)
> take your time, but be reasonable

COMPUTING SKILLS
> is a joke really
> but work slowly, you will finish no worries
> use logic (a very logical exam)
> its all multiple choice or objective response
> have fun, its a bludge (very easy if you're even half decent at computers)

So, I hope that helps you ALL in your struggle for good marks.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
Thanks ^^

I've been told that for multiple choice, two answers are very obviously wrong, one looks like it could be the answer and the other one is the real answer so if you are lost, use elimination.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Interesting words for a person who hasn't done their SC.

but yes, computers is a joke.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Do not panic. When you're on a question that you can't do or during a time where you have a brain freeze, skip it and go on to the next one. Come back to it later. Even though this has been said, there's been many times where some people I know spent bucketloads of precious time on a question to find that eventually, they don't finish the test.

nmbookworm

HSC
I should of read through these when i was studying for the SC. Ah well, I still did pretty good ;) These can probably be applied to any test within reason.

dpospination

HSC
in english mc, there are usually 2 correct and incorrect answers, and then the one tat is correct is te one which is more logical

gazzalite751

HSC
One more thing that needs to be mentioned...

For any long response questions, that require something of an essay (like English, History/Geo..etc):
Always be concise. Don't blab on and lose track of the MAIN idea, go straight to the point, explain your point then back it up with evidence. Try not to retell certain events and how they happened. Just stick to the fact that they did happen and what impact the event/s had on your point or on the question you're writing on.

bling05

HSC
Here's a tip: Don't worry about it, unless you are going to drop out before the HSC.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
History is always a sinch if you study according to the Syllabus. I loved the History exam.
With English, just do as your teachers say and don't stress :) It's only the SC!
With Maths, yes, read the question VERY carefully ( I didn't read this one question carefully and was stuck on it for 5 mins!) and also take your time.
With Geo, study skills like it's second nature. They always have these questions that trick you! And make sure you know all the Geo terms.
With Science, study mostly year 10 things. Year 9 things should be second nature as well.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Don't tell them not to worry about it!
Clearly if they're bothering to come here, it's because they want to do well, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I certainly wish I had of put more effort in in year 10, then perhaps I'd have better study habits now, and I'd be doing school work instead of bludging on here.
SO, good on all the year 10's who are going to try and put in a good effort!
=D

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lol I think I'm taking Year 10 for granted. And I keep complaining about how much work Year 10 has!

i agree with the point the OP made about not thinking too hard with english multiple choice.

next time, I'll fuck those multiple choice questions by just guessing them all!

- Choose B or C when you are unsure
- use process of elimination
- choose the choice with the longest sentence
- dont choose choices with unfamiliar terms
- rely on your gut instinct: choose the one you first think is the right answer. Chances are that your first impression is always right

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol. Good approach! haha.

I try to do something the same for english questions in the multiple choice... although the questions in my school exams are REALLY hard and not many people get alot right.... I only got 11/20 this year :(. The top percentage in english this year was 87%. I only got 68% though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)