Handy Hints for the School Certificate (1 Viewer)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I have good and bad days with MC. Sometimes I'll do really well other times I kill it.

Nerdsforever - Those are pretty good strategies

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh and another strategy.... Study. Learn a bit more about the comprehension part. If I improved my comprehension just a little bit I am absolutely sure I could improve my overall exam mark for english and even other subjects (since you need to be able to write well in all other exams, except maths and sciences)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
Lol. Good approach! haha.

I try to do something the same for english questions in the multiple choice... although the questions in my school exams are REALLY hard and not many people get alot right.... I only got 11/20 this year :(. The top percentage in english this year was 87%. I only got 68% though...
haha same. I try to use those strategies for English MC but I think too much so I always get it wrong. 11/20 is still a pass :D
Multiple choice is usually the hardest for me in English exams. I do alright in essays. btw, I got 14/30 in my MC exam, which sucks because average was 19/30 :mad:
I've checked with some year 11 kids, and they say there's no more multiple choice for english next year!!!! :wave: hope thats true.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
Wow! Thx for the godly hints :D
Btw, when shall i start my preperation (study) b4 i do sc...i want 85%+:eek:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
fullonoob said:
two weeks prior instead of day before

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
fullonoob said:
Maybe try to get into the habit of studying throughout the year in small bits.... like continuously... making notes or maybe doing it all on the weekend; whatever suits you or fits into your schedule! I am trying to get into the habit of doing study throughout the year... so far so good. I think it's been working too because my marks have improved even though I didn't think i could get them any better :)

bored of sc

HSC
becky-lawboris said:
so is there lik year 9 topics in the aswell?

btw it was good info =)
In science yes. It depends on when you did compulsory history and geography (you may have done it in year 9 and 10 or just year 10). Maths and english lean more towards skills. Just do past SC papers as revision for these I reckon.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
ahhh SC...
all you need for the SC is past papers and a bit of natural intelligence.

Malysh

Premium Member
HSC
Hollieee said:
Don't tell them not to worry about it!
Clearly if they're bothering to come here, it's because they want to do well, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I certainly wish I had of put more effort in in year 10, then perhaps I'd have better study habits now, and I'd be doing school work instead of bludging on here.
SO, good on all the year 10's who are going to try and put in a good effort!
=D
I agree! Everytime i ask about the school certificate - all i hear in response is that its easy and ill pass. But ive practiced the past papers and i actually find some questions difficult. So anybody who has the same problem - don't listen to them! If you want to get a band six i suggest the only people you listen to are your teachers.

bored of sc

HSC
No one has the right to say the school certificate is easy. Raw marks are aligned significantly upwards. If we really saw what percentages we were truly getting we'd be quite shocked.

I.e. 80% might appear on your school certificate but in reality the mark could be as low as 65% <--- purely fictional example of course.

Malysh

Premium Member
HSC
I agree with the above!
If anyone has a right to say they're easy practice the school certificate past papers and make your mark out of 100%. smartasses would be really suprised to find out that they're not that naturally talanted.

key0hh

HSC
HAHA yeah,
I did what Kujah said yesterday for my trials.
It worked and I think I aced English yesterday :D

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the hints!

Don't forget the many practice papers available on the official Board of Studies website...

lionking1191

HSC
Malysh said:
I agree with the above!
If anyone has a right to say they're easy practice the school certificate past papers and make your mark out of 100%. smartasses would be really suprised to find out that they're not that naturally talanted.
seeing that the mark is always moderated so that it shows your ability compared to the rest of the cohort, i don't see what all the fuss about raw marks are.

and cmon, its not as if sc is a hard test

Cardea

HSC
Thanks for all the hints! That was really helpful. I know a lot of seniors who always say that SC is a waste of time and we shouldn't worry about it, but honestly, I think that from our perspective, it's a quite a deal. It's the biggest thing we've done so far, and I still think it warrants some thinking and worrying about (albeit not too much worrying).

I totally stuffed my English trial up - I'm always overthinking things! I stay on those really frustrating questions forever and stress out about which ones I should choose. I pretty much have on-off days with MC questions too. They're my most dreaded part of any exam =S

mikiiFMF

HSC
omgsh, after reading through all those tips...
Do we have to write full sentences in the science SC? :confused:
According to my science teacher, we don't... But that sounds dodgy...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)