Best/Most Useful Textbook (1 Viewer)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
The thing that annoys me about Cambridge is the answers. They rarely have any explanations. Maybe they were lazy? :p

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
That's the same with most textbooks though. They only have answers and the "show" and "prove" questions most of the time don't even have an answer.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The good thing about Cambridge's answers is they're pretty reliable unlike other textbooks like Fitzpatrick, which has many mistakes.

Raginsheep

HSC
airie said:
The thing that annoys me about Cambridge is the answers. They rarely have any explanations. Maybe they were lazy? :p
Enjoy carrying a volume of books the size of texas :p

muttiah

Banned
HSC
airie said:
at least they draw graphs. Some books dont even have that :confused: :mad1:

kimii

UltimateMEMBER :D
HSC
mmmm ^____^ phoenix books are the ones im using! they have explanations as well as exam style questions!

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
I'm using 3 books :
1. Maths in Focus
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Cambridge

I'm using Maths in Focus first every new chapter so I will learn the basic theory and it makes me familiar with the new concept. It's very easy (almost a jokes!)and usually I finish a chapter for 2-3 days
After that I jump to Fitzpatrick and then to the hardest one,Cambridge
You can change the Fitzpatrick with other book anyway.
For me the important ones are Math In Focus and Cambridge but basically if you have good teacher you don't need Math In Focus

LOL LOL

Dark Phoenix

HSC
i use cameridge 3 unit. its a good book coz it categorizes each question in levels of difficulty. and as previously mentioned it has accurate answers and even graphs unlike other text books

HSC
oh i c....For school we use this crappy orange one...Don't remember what its called but it seems pretty dodgy..i have cambridge yr11..right now and its pretty difficult i must say!...I've never heard of pheonix : /

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol I use a book thats older than me, maybe my school needs funding. Its called "3 unit maths".

HSC
hehe is that the orange one with the brown stripes through the bottom? by S.B.Jones and K.E.Couchman..

hehe i use one of them and its falling apart and yellow through the pages...I've learnt to love it :p

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
^lol I think I got that textbook too for year 11, in case we wanted some "extra practice". Except most people just left it in their locker and never touched it since XD

P

pyrodude1031

Ummz, personally, I own and have used quite alot. And they includes Margaret Grove's Maths in Focus, Pender's Cambridge, Fitzpatrick, the Phoenix ones, Terry Lee's Essentials, Couchman's 'orange stripey' book, Coroneos.
I find MiFocus is shit and useless, but good for those who like to learn the basics, but useless after that, since questions in that book doesnt test your understanding.
Cambridge is good for topics that requires 'partings' in the exam. What I mean as partings, are those questions which will be asked in parts of i, ii, iii, iv, v ,... . THats because other text books usually just type up the whole question and requires you to know what to do first and what todo last. BUT, thats not what happens in HSC. Topics include: Binomal, PROB'Y, SHM, PrJtile, Parametrics.
Fitzpatrick... TRUE.. they have mistakes in the back. However, the text has question that TEST YOUR UNDERSTANDING. Fitz is good for Induction, geometry, Calculus, Applications of Calc.
Phoenix is A MUST-HAVE. It has full solutions, so that explains it all !!! Good to read and observe the method and technique.
Terry Lee's ... not many pplz have that book...Bcos its only available at the Dymocks at George Street, Sydney City, or online. His book's level is between that of Fitz and Cambridge. I highly recommend that book. Overall, the questions are set really appropriate. However, it doesnt have solutions, not in BOB (back of book) nor has anyone written them yet (unlike Cambridge, and Fitz of which Sam El Hosri has written and I have access to).
Couchman's... Ummmz... His book is one of the oldest so it doesnt really follow the trend , but as a reference for explaination, its alright..
Coroneos... His text is really good in both the explanation and questions. But some of the questions are impossible..not because they are hard, but they dont have partings.

Summing up, you SHOULD buy the PHEONIX, FITZ and TERRY LEE.

In addition, those who are getting past papers. DO NOT BUY SUCCESS ONE. Their solutions are poor. They are full, but it doesnt provide well-explanation, nor does it provide alternatives + notes. CORONEOS' HSC Exam Papers are the BEST BY FAR in Australia. It costs a little expensive than Success One, but you learn MUCH MORE from CORONEOS.

Thats all.. Hopes there hasnt been too much to read.. Pyrodude1031

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)