Non-uniform circular motion (1 Viewer)

bobohappy

HSC
hey there,

just wondering if any 4U teachers at your school teach 'non-uniform circular motion'??? as part of the mechanics section,

i realise that its in none of the textbooks, but apparently you still have to do it??????? i believe it was in one of the BOS past papers

any clues?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
George Fisher's Senior Maths Notepad Study Guides on "4 Unit Maths" (Phoenix Education) - 1996 has a treatment on it. Don't know if any latter-edition of this exists from Phoenix.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
hey there,

just wondering if any 4U teachers at your school teach 'non-uniform circular motion'??? as part of the mechanics section,

i realise that its in none of the textbooks, but apparently you still have to do it??????? i believe it was in one of the BOS past papers

any clues?
Mine said it's not examinable. How valid that is, i'm not sure.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
You could check the syllabus to be sure.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
There's a bit that can be examined... But only asked once in the 1981 HSC, when the course was first introduced :)

Although it was examined once 28 years ago... it also happens that the calanders every 28 years are the same... so you never know. That's what my teacher said anyway :p

The Coroneos 4U supplement treats this aspect nicely.

Last edited:

yibbon

HSC
N/A
I can't see anything in the syllabus about it, I'm not going to study it. Have enough trouble with the uniform stuff anyway

untouchablecuz

HSC
which year was the non-uniform circular motion? i've done alot of papers and i've never encountered it :confused:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I can't see anything in the syllabus about it, I'm not going to study it.
That's just plain stupid then, and it IS in the syllabus. You need to be able to answer the question as below...

which year was the non-uniform circular motion?
In the 1981 HSC 4U paper.

---
A point P is moving in a circular path around a centre O. Define the angular velocity of P with respect to O at time t.

Derive expressions for the tangential and normal components of the acceleration of P at time t.
--

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
is this how you would do it?

not too sure about the normal component of the acceleration

edit: hmm, i dont think i have resolved my vectors correctly

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
what about

v=dL/dt, where L is the length of the arc and v is the tangetial velocity

but L=rx

v=d(rx)/dt=r(dx/dt)=rw

tangetial acceleration=d(rw)/dt=r(dw/dt)

correct?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You basically determine your acceleration in the x and y directions before resolving them both in the tangential and normal direction (the whole right-angled triangle with basic trig). Then you add/subtract the relevant vectors and their corresponding equations to obtain an expression for tangential and normal acceleration and hence their forces. You should notice that the normal force is negative, therefore it is actually directed towards the centre (i.e. centripetal force).

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
As I said before, the Coroneos 4U book treats this aspect very nicely.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher said that they can only examine you on circular motion questions with constant acceleration.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
My teacher said that they can only examine you on circular motion questions with constant acceleration.
Well then your teacher is wrong. See my previous posts. You need to be able to do that question.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Well then your teacher is wrong. See my previous posts. You need to be able to do that question.
lol,just letting you know my teacher co-wrote Cambridge 4unit so I would assume she has a pretty good grasp of the syllabus.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lol,just letting you know my teacher co-wrote Cambridge 4unit so I would assume she has a pretty good grasp of the syllabus.
Cool. I say your teachers wrong too. Is your teacher Denise Arnold?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Just to give you some idea. Our main textbook is Cambridge. But for this topic (Mechanics) we didn't use it ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)