So, what would your policy stance be? (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
There's been a fair amount of dissatisfaction with both major political parties lately on a variety of topics. Though, both parties do raise good points about certain issues as well. This made me think, if the government of Australia was doing things exactly right, what would they be doing? So if you could choose the major policies of the Australia government so that you were completely happy with what they were doing, what would your stance be in terms of Iraq, health, education, the drought, the environment, global warming, industrial relations, economic management etc.?
Cause i mean, do you think you can do better than the government? How would you control the country in terms all the major policy points that you and the rest of Australia are dissatisfied with?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lol - Asking people to create a policy platform for the entire country is a bit of an ask, but I'm sure people will be able to contribute a few ideas ;)

• Federalised Health, Possible nationalisation of years 11/12, hsc etc - Basically more centralisation.
  • A 'Flatter' Taxation regime (uhohz)
  • At the current time with Iraq I'd just stick to the American timetable.
  • I would look at the possibility of new dam(s), quite controversial I guess...
  • Energy restrictions - Along the line of the 'water restrictions' we have currently.
  • Long-term feasibility study as to what sort of energy setup we should have in Australia, all possible options covered in some detail.

All I can think of in broad terms atm.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
call me an economist - politician, but i think whatever policy you have, you are not going to keep everyone happy. so in the end, you're going to cop it from the critics and the opposition anyway. but i guess what's the best solution is to bring the policies which are more long-sighted, like keating's microeconomic reform. i think our effort (if any) of global warming will directly oppose that of our endless supply of coal and hence our economic growth. so the government needs to strike a balance.

as for health education and alike, they are up to the state governments to implement, though the government can set a general direction, eg more freaken funding into education, come on!

anyway, i doubt rudd will have a policy stance too far away from that of howard's, because howard's policy is the winning formula. well for the time being anyway.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Hahahaha Wow - Did you really write that up just now? I agreed with alot of what you had to say, so please realise these are just my little disagreements to get a bit of a discussion going.

* Voucher system to encourage freedom to choose schools - so give parents vouchers that cover the cost per kid of entering a public school and give them the choice to spend it on any school they want. This leads to competition between schools because the schools that are good will get the bulk of the students and the funding, and the ones that aren't so good will have to lift their standards in order to get that funding/students, so there'll be overall improvement.
Isn't there a bit of a physical problem here? Upon implimenting such a system I'm sure many students would flock to james ruse (or whichever school performs best in the state that they have access too) meaning that more infrustructure is needed for that school to cope with the new students?

* Largely deregulate the syllabus so that there's more individual choice in schools. There are some things in schools that are vital - so you mandate that there are certain things that must be included in the syllabus and allow schools to develop their curriculums any other way they want. That way not only do you get the choices but then you're not forced to adhere to the awful, biased syllabi we currently have in NSW.
I agree the problem you're trying to address here does exist, however by implimenting your idea I think we completely demolish the possibility of any equitable marking system in our schools that would be even accross the board. This would present a particular problem if you'd still want the current UAI/HECS system in place.

I would be much, much tougher on immigration, to be honest. I support mandatory detention for illegal immigrants, but only for say, a three-month period. I would also be very selective in who I allow in. Believe me when I say I used to (until a month ago) live in a very ethnically divided community and there were a lot of racial problems there caused by people who came here expecting a handout but who didn't want to adhere to our laws or whatever else.
A 3-month period is actually much nicer than what we currently have and I also believe we are rather selective in whom we allow in. On that topic, what exact basis of selection would you like? You've outlined that you don't like people that came here expecting a hand-out, however if the criteria is to only take people with skills, aren't we immediately ignoring our responsibility to the large majority of refugee's?

I would abolish multiculturalism and replace it with integration. I don't mind if people hold on to their religion, food, dress or whatever else, but if you don't want to respect our laws, customs, or lifestyle, you shouldn't be here in the first place. Multiculturalism is responsible for making our community divided, and it shouldn't be.
Traditionally I believe multiculturalism asks people to respect the laws of the nation.

* State-sanctioned religion should not be in schools.
How exactly would you go about abolishing catholic/christian schools? Buy out their infrastructure?

Come back to this after dinner :p

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Malfoy said:
Okay, this will be a long post. I'm really bored and really opinionated. I'll add things as I remember more.

Education
* Voucher system to encourage freedom to choose schools - so give parents vouchers that cover the cost per kid of entering a public school and give them the choice to spend it on any school they want. This leads to competition between schools because the schools that are good will get the bulk of the students and the funding, and the ones that aren't so good will have to lift their standards in order to get that funding/students, so there'll be overall improvement.

* Largely deregulate the syllabus so that there's more individual choice in schools. There are some things in schools that are vital - so you mandate that there are certain things that must be included in the syllabus and allow schools to develop their curriculums any other way they want. That way not only do you get the choices but then you're not forced to adhere to the awful, biased syllabi we currently have in NSW.

Taxation
* Flat, or close to flat (2-tier) taxation system so that we're not discouraging people from earning more money through the so-called 'progressive' taxation system that means people who have two jobs or work hard to earn their money pay upwards of 40% of their money in tax. I don't think it's fair that people like my dad, who have 2 jobs and work 80 or more hours a week, should get taxed so badly. I would suggest either a completely flat (one rate) or greatly simplified tax system. For example, you could have one completely flat rate (I remember attending a talk that suggested 24% was the sustainable ideal) or two rates. If you were going for a two-rate system you'd go with maybe 15% up to say, $150,000 and 30% for anything above that - that's in line with corporations tax and therefore will help to minimise people funnelling their money into companies in order to avoid taxation.

*Instead of things like family tax benefit and the baby bonus, I would suggest something called income splitting be implemented. So, for example, if we had the two-tier flat tax rates I suggested above, you could split the income of a man and a stay at home mother. Say the man earned 200,000 a year, and therefore on the 30% rate (60,000 tax), he would be able to split that with his wife and therefore have two people on 100,000 (15% rate) paying 15,000 each, saving 30,000. That negates the need for family-based welfare, which I don't agree with in principle, and also gets rid of a lot of bureaucracy and churning - where you pay tax, it gets funnelled through bureaucrats, and then it comes back to you. That actually costs a fair bit of money.

* I would also suggest lower taxes through streamlining the welfare system, but I'll explain that when I get to discussing welfare.

Immigration
* I would be much, much tougher on immigration, to be honest. I support mandatory detention for illegal immigrants, but only for say, a three-month period. I would also be very selective in who I allow in. Believe me when I say I used to (until a month ago) live in a very ethnically divided community and there were a lot of racial problems there caused by people who came here expecting a handout but who didn't want to adhere to our laws or whatever else.

* I would abolish multiculturalism and replace it with integration. I don't mind if people hold on to their religion, food, dress or whatever else, but if you don't want to respect our laws, customs, or lifestyle, you shouldn't be here in the first place. Multiculturalism is responsible for making our community divided, and it shouldn't be.

Crime
* I would be a lot tougher on crime, and I would ensure we had more police. I would also make sure sentences for certain crimes were tougher - rape being foremost among them because I think it's disgusting.

* I would make sure indigenous people were sentenced according to the severity of their crimes if they were involved in child abuse, instead of being allowed to cite 'cultural' defences.

* I would have ensured that policing wasn't politically correct - for example, why weren't those who smashed cars at Maroubra arrested last year, yet a guy who wore an anti-Islam shirt was jailed?

* I would be a lot tougher on the protestors who acted as those at the G20 protest did. There's peaceful protesting (even if I generally disagree with what it stands for, I believe in the freedom of those people to protest) and then there's sheer destructive idiocy. Also, essential services such as schools and hospitals shouldn't be allowed to be neglected just because of protests. That's ridiculous.

Indigenous Affairs
* I would remove children being abused and remove that vile piece of DOCS legislation that says indigenous kids can't be removed to non-indigenous families, which results in shortages of suitable carers for these abused kids. I would jail the perpetrators and not let the law be soft on them for cultural reasons.

* I would remove a lot of the no-strings-attached handouts that get given to indigenous people. I like the idea of welfare splitting - where it's tied to things like whether the kids go to school, or putting a percentage towards the school for feeding the children, or whatnot. I'd also provide incentives in order to encourage indigenous people to move to regional towns, centres or cities because in these remote settlements there's not much chance of either working or getting yourself off welfare.

* I would not apologise. It's not constructive. Instead, I'd try and improve conditions because that's practical rather than symbolic.

Global Warming
* Since it's a cycle of warming that the earth undergoes, and since Australia hardly contributes on a world scale, I'd not sign Kyoto and I'd not give in to the scaremongers.

Social Policy
* Abortion should be legalised, because the woman has the right to autonomy over her own body and no one should be forced to give birth. However, should the woman choose to keep the baby when the father doesn't want it, he should be able to legally opt out of paying support.

* The baby bonus would be cancelled, because it's ridiculous. You should only have a child if you're physically, emotionally, psychologically and financially (and by that I mean being able to provide the child with the essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, education and the like, not being mega-rich and providing it with Gucci prams or something!) ready. The baby bonus encourages irresponsible breeding and our welfare system is already overburdened without that.

* Marriage should not be licensed by the state. However, if it has to be, it should be open to all over the age of consent - gay or straight - because the state has no right to interfere in a person's love life once they're over that age. If it's state-sanctioned, it's a civil union, regardless of who's marrying. If churches and other religious institutions wish to marry people in religious settings, that could be termed marriage. Since a church is a private entity, it can marry or refuse anyone it sees fit.

* State-sanctioned religion should not be in schools.

*I'd rid the world of that disgusting, patronising thing known as affirmative action. It's discrimination against males, for one, and it patronises me because it means I get the job based on the fact I'm female, not because I'm the best person for it.

* I support stem cell research.

Welfare policy
* The dole should be time-limited and dependent on participating in work for the dole, volunteering, undertaking training eg. at TAFE, or other such activities that will prepare you for the workforce.

*Furthermore, children should be discouraged from dropping out of school and doing nothing. They shouldn't be allowed to leave school at the end of Year 10 unless they've either got a job or are undertaking training. Otherwise, they're more inclined to go on welfare.

*You should not get an automatic pension just for being a single mother. Seriously, it encourages people to have kids when they can't afford it, it's easily rorted, and it encourages the state to pay for people's lifestyle choices. I oppose it on the same grounds as I do the baby bonus and family tax benefits - a child is a choice and a long-term commitment, and it's one you shouldn't make unless you're truly ready and capable. At least childcare benefits go towards a service and are not just money straight in the pocket, though I'm again a bit iffy on those because of the choice factor.

*Welfare should only be given to the disabled, the aged (these days, that's people over 70 or so), or war veterans. It's given out to way too many people these days and not only means there's no incentive to work but it drains our economy.

*Therefore encourage private charity over state-sponsored welfare.

Industrial Relations
* Workchoices is good but for one thing: it doesn't go far enough. The legislation itself is too complex and too prescriptive. For a better example, look to New Zealand's clearer legislation - it's only about 50 pages long.

Public Transport
* I support toll roads because I don't mind the fact that a private company builds infrastructure based on need.

* I would implement the Christie Rail Report suggestions (for that MASSIVE train system) starting immediately. Given that public transport is a good thing in general, I don't mind putting a sizable chunk of money towards it - I don't like specifically environmental legislation as such, but having a decent rail system is important because it's useful and it indirectly helps the environment while improving quality of life.

Monetary policy
* I'd lower taxes because the twin drains of an overbloated bureacracy and welfare systems would be the first things to go. There'd be a lot more money for things which are actually useful, like healthcare, education, police and public transport.

Defence
* I support the war in Iraq, and I'd continue to have a strong alliance with the US and Israel.

*I do not support freeing David Hicks - the guy trained with Al-Qaeda! Enough said.

Free Trade
* Is one of the most essential things EVER, and I'd do everything in my power to facilitate it.

Foreign Aid
* I don't really like foreign aid except in emergencies. I'd rather encourage free trade and the like, especially to Africa, where all the money gets squandered on corrupt dictators rather than actually helping the people. So I'd encourage free trade and other such things rather than keep handing out foreign aid.

Environment
* I support nuclear power.

* I support a better public transport system.

* I support new dams on the basis we need water.
Seriously. All the talent goes to the private sector leaving people like you to run the country.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Don't you feel that entering a profession where you work with children is a conflict of interest with the well-known fact that right wing extremists eat children?

Err... What that means is I love your policies very much, especially the first point of indigenous affairs, global warming, all of defense, environment (especially dams), crime, immigration and most social issues. The ideas about education are interesting too.

Presently attendance at public schools is based mostly on geography, so if one public school in a local area was known to be better than the others everyone would flock there, but since you can only realistically fit so many people in a given year, on what basis would people be accepted or rejected under a voucher system?

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yep, I just wrote it up now. I may be quiet in person, as you saw, but when it comes to politics I get REALLY fired up.
I don't think I got to meet you, sorry, or maybe I did but I forgot. I did know there was someone named malfoy at the meet though.

those with large numbers of students will be able to spend the influx of money on infrastructure AND educating those students.
But eventually don't infrastructure demands get kinda out of control?

I don't believe we should take as many refugees, sorry. If you want a further outline of this, PM me. I don't feel like being called a racist on the board.
This is the main point of my contention really, as far as migrants go then alot of the standards you propose are probably fine by me, but when it's people escaping persecution I think it's a different story.

I probably won't PM you though, since I'm lazy.

You misunderstand me. What I meant was that if a school is not explicitly religious, religion has no place.
I think to ignore religion is a bad thing to do, while I do disagree with the current way religion is taught. I would accept religion in schools as a part of a general philosophy class, but feel that 'atheism' needs to be covered much more than just as "another religion". I.e. At my school doing Studies of Religion, I spent probably about as much time on Atheism as I did on Sikhism, whereas IMHO almost half a course dedicated to religious studies should be on atheism, otherwise it should instead be called 'cultural studies' or something of the like.

* I would be a lot tougher on crime, and I would ensure we had more police. I would also make sure sentences for certain crimes were tougher - rape being foremost among them because I think it's disgusting.
Where does being tough on crime end though? I mean sure, we can probably lock up all our muderers, rapists etc in the most horrible conditions as retribution for their crimes - But is that really what you want from a justice system? I really have alot more to add on this as one of my pet peeves is people complaining for harsher sentences... Perhaps if you could provide an example case of where you think the sentence was wrong and why?

* I would be a lot tougher on the protestors who acted as those at the G20 protest did. There's peaceful protesting (even if I generally disagree with what it stands for, I believe in the freedom of those people to protest) and then there's sheer destructive idiocy. Also, essential services such as schools and hospitals shouldn't be allowed to be neglected just because of protests. That's ridiculous.
I really dislike the protestors at those kind of things... but I'm not going to be demanding they be punished too harshly. I just think to myself, maybe one day I'll have a strong opinion about something, be in the minority and not be able to express my opinion as vocally as I may want due to such tough measures.

* Is one of the most essential things EVER, and I'd do everything in my power to facilitate it.
I like free trade, but to play devil's advocate - Where does free trade leave Australia? As a resources exporter right? What happens when we run out of resources? What happens if maybe one day we need a manufacturing or agriculture industry? I'm a supporter of free trade too, but there does need to be limits. Absolute free trade is a fantasy that I hope you don't have.

* ABC should be privatised. Why is there government-sponsored media, for one? It costs nearly a billion a year, has low ratings and is extremely biased.
To ensure that people with tastes different from the mainstream can get some shows? To give amateur australian's a greater chance to take part in the television industry?

* I support the war in Iraq, and I'd continue to have a strong alliance with the US and Israel.
Why do you support the war in Iraq?

*I do not support freeing David Hicks - the guy trained with Al-Qaeda! Enough said.
Do you support giving him a trial to see if he actually did comit a crime?

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Malfoy said:
Education
Fundementalist market principles are unlikely to work in relation to a basic needs (much like health)...unless you don't believe in education for all.

As mentioned by NTB have you considered the logistics of a voucher system? (It’s hardly a new idea)

1. Public schools hardly get to choose what staff they have. They have little control over 'quality' of their teachers. A voucher system assumes that schools are flexible enough to remedy their lack of quality.

2. Selective schools, where do they fit into this scheme? Abolish selective schools?

3. does this policy make schools completely depended on voucher funding?

4. A basic understanding of market principles would suggest that there would be some very bad schools that would gain a bad reputation. Once that reputation stuck it would be unable to loose that reputation. The worst students would go to the worst schools. These schools would have much trouble attracting good staff making it even harder for the school be loose its bad reputation creating a self perpetuating system of institutionalized elitism where those schools deemed bad have no chance of ever escaping that categorization.

5. How would this voucher system work? Everyone wants the best for their kid. Wouldn't that result in every parent putting down their kid for the 'best' school? If everyone offers up their voucher of equal worth to that particular school how is that school going to differentiate? Alphabetical order of names? Random barrel draw? Maybe they can make the kids do test! No wait, we already have that it's called the selective schools test! All the good naturally clever kids end up at the best schools and all the less so bright kids end up in the lesser schools.

1. The states would never agree on which the best system for the HSC. Personally I believe the VIC system is much better. They actually teach politics.

2. The Commonwealth isn't exactly flooded with expert education policy advisor's since it really hasn't dealt with secondary education policy ever.

3. I don't trust wacky religious schools to develop their own syllabus. They already have heaps of latitude, they don't need anymore. See Christian schools out in the hills and the recent growth of Islamic schools.

Awful biased syllabi? Elaborate? Saying ATSI people were here before white people and not dedicating a whole 4 months to Menzies doesn't make the NSW HSC terribly bias. And don't harp on about how English at high school is left wing. It’s pretty much what it is at University. All this crap about needing to teach spelling in yr 12 forgets that spelling is meant to be taught in the years leading up to year 10, the presumption being that by year 12 people understand basic grammar and can spell so they can read texts and examine them.

Taxation
* Flat, or close to flat (2-tier) taxation system so that we're not discouraging people from earning more money through the so-called 'progressive' taxation system that means people who have two jobs or work hard to earn their money pay upwards of 40% of their money in tax. I don't think it's fair that people like my dad, who have 2 jobs and work 80 or more hours a week, should get taxed so badly.
Flat tax…The fact that there is a proportional income tax system in Australia doesn’t seem to discourage many people from wanting to make as much money as possible. It doesn’t discourage me. I’d choose to earn 100k gross a year rather than 60k gross a year.

I really don’t think someone struggling on 26k gross a year should pay the rate as tax the CEO of Mac Bank. In any the difference between the top and lowest tax bracket isn’t huge. Everyone has an obligation to society (no wait, you can do a Maggie Thatcher and proclaim that there is no such thing as society). The more you earn the greater your ability to assist the society in which you have taken advantage of.

Taxable income
Tax on this income
$0 – $6,000 Nil
$6,001 – $25,000 15c for each $1 over $6,000
$25,001 – $75,000 $2,850 plus 30c for each $1 over $25,000
$75,001 – $150,000 $17,850 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000
Over $150,000 $47,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000.

Immigration
* I would be much, much tougher on immigration, to be honest. I support mandatory detention for illegal immigrants, but only for say, a three-month period. I would also be very selective in who I allow in. Believe me when I say I used to (until a month ago) live in a very ethnically divided community and there were a lot of racial problems there caused by people who came here expecting a handout but who didn't want to adhere to our laws or whatever else.
Only ‘illegal’s’ or would you also tighten skilled migration from Asian nations?

* I would abolish multiculturalism and replace it with integration. I don't mind if people hold on to their religion, food, dress or whatever else, but if you don't want to respect our laws, customs, or lifestyle, you shouldn't be here in the first place. Multiculturalism is responsible for making our community divided, and it shouldn't be.
Semantics...Multiculturalism is essentially integration. Perhaps you should read DIMIA’s definition of multiculturalism carried over from the Whitlam years before you have a go at it?
Multiculturalism has been hijacked, essentially, by racists who purport that multiculturalism suggests that people should never integrate. Multiculturalism has always supported a baseline culture which is essentially obeying the law and getting a job. I’m not sure about ‘lifestyle’ or ‘customs’ or whether they can actually be defined.

Crime
More police is a wonderful idea…As for rape; it’s a very complex issue. It’s isn’t always so morally clear cut.

* I would make sure indigenous people were sentenced according to the severity of their crimes if they were involved in child abuse, instead of being allowed to cite 'cultural' defenses.
I think you will find that that is a bit of a beat up by Miranda Devine.

* I would have ensured that policing wasn't politically correct - for example, why weren't those who smashed cars at Maroubra arrested last year, yet a guy who wore an anti-Islam shirt was jailed?[sic]
I’m not sure. I hardly think the police are the bastion of political correctness. I’m pretty sure that if the police could find those who perpetrated the return attack at Maroubra they would arrest them. I don’t think the police favor Lebanese gangs. The greater number of arrests at Cronulla is probably a result of the whole disgraceful event being caught on camera.

I agree.

Indigenous Affairs
* I would remove children being abused and remove that vile piece of DOCS legislation that says indigenous kids can't be removed to non-indigenous families, which results in shortages of suitable carers for these abused kids. I would jail the perpetrators and not let the law be soft on them for cultural reasons.
That’s all well a good, but why not addresses the cause of the problem? Locking up more ATSI people simply perpetuates the problem. That doesn't solve petrol sniffing or what caused the child abuse.

* I would not apologise. It's not constructive. Instead, I'd try and improve conditions because that's practical rather than symbolic.
I thought you were going to spit out that ignorant argument that if we say sorry those ATSI people will sue the government for all we are worth. Or did you forget that argument?
I don’t think improving the condition of ATSI people includes locking them up.

Social Policy
* Abortion should be legalised, because the woman has the right to autonomy over her own body and no one should be forced to give birth. However, should the woman choose to keep the baby when the father doesn't want it, he should be able to legally opt out of paying support.
I hope irony doesn’t come back to bite you there.

The baby bonus would be cancelled, because it's ridiculous. You should only have a child if you're physically, emotionally, psychologically and financially (and by that I mean being able to provide the child with the essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, education and the like, not being mega-rich and providing it with Gucci prams or something!) ready. The baby bonus encourages irresponsible breeding and our welfare system is already overburdened without that.
I hope irony doesn’t come back to bite you there. The baby bonus doesn’t really encourage much. It’s a 5k tax rebate the financial year after the baby is born for only the first child.
How do address the falling birthrate? Do you believe women should have to leave work without pay to care for the child? Do you understand that for a great majority of working people who are not born with a silver spoon in their mouth that having a child is not financial viable and that the woman’s income is critical in that decision to have a child. Perhaps you should read HREOC’s report into paid maternity leave which, at current costing, would cost less than the rather expensive and poorly focused baby bonus.

*I'd rid the world of that disgusting, patronising thing known as affirmative action. It's discrimination against males, for one, and it patronises me because it means I get the job based on the fact I'm female, not because I'm the best person for it.
Affirmative action is hardly rampant. You might understand if or when you work in the private sector that women hardly dominate. Some boys love the idea of working with lots of girls. They eventually fall in love and have babies leaving the boys to get promoted faster.

*Welfare should only be given to the disabled, the aged (these days, that's people over 70 or so), or war veterans. It's given out to way too many people these days and not only means there's no incentive to work but it drains our economy.
People who work desk jobs have very different working lives to those who have to physically work their whole lives. Many manual worker’s have essentially had it by the age of 70. Most are ready to retire at 55 to 60, depending on how well they have managed their finances.

Industrial Relations
* Workchoices is good but for one thing: it doesn't go far enough. The legislation itself is too complex and too prescriptive. For a better example, look to New Zealand's clearer legislation - it's only about 50 pages long...
In what way doesn’t it go far enough? What would teachers be without their union? They would be just like their US counterparts. I hope irony doesn’t come back to bite you there and you never accept any benefits or wage increases brokered by your teachers union.

Media
* ABC should be privatised. Why is there government-sponsored media, for one? It costs nearly a billion a year, has low ratings and is extremely biased.
Yes! More dancing with the stars and ACA!
That’s enough for now. I have to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

volition

arr.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I like free trade, but to play devil's advocate - Where does free trade leave Australia? As a resources exporter right? What happens when we run out of resources? What happens if maybe one day we need a manufacturing or agriculture industry? I'm a supporter of free trade too, but there does need to be limits. Absolute free trade is a fantasy that I hope you don't have.
I'm not sure I understand your point here. To me, it looks as though you're saying that we would run out of resources all of a sudden, when really it would be a gradual thing.

As our known resource stocks decline, then wouldn't that mean that people in those industries would slowly shift to other ones? Because it's becoming less and less profitable to have businesses in those industries...

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Lol - Asking people to create a policy platform for the entire country is a bit of an ask, but I'm sure people will be able to contribute a few ideas ;)
  • I would look at the possibility of new dam(s), quite controversial I guess...
  • Energy restrictions - Along the line of the 'water restrictions' we have currently.
  • Long-term feasibility study as to what sort of energy setup we should have in Australia, all possible options covered in some detail.
All I can think of in broad terms atm.
bshoc approves of these proposals

the other economic stances in this thread frighten bshoc

beyond "flatter" some kind of trial of negative income tax should also be undertaken, or perhaps less emphasis on income tax and more on others such as property taxes, so that people pay proportionately for how much land the military has to defend etc.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
From reading these it shows how totally out of touch with society these people are.

Where are the long term goals? How will you know if these policies can stand economic and environmental crisis? Hardly any of you talk at length about the environment other than the need for more dams, all I can see is economic management and xenophobic social policies.

lengy

HSC
Education
*No change to syllabus
*Propose a Humanist/Morality/Ethics/Critical Thinking/Reality based scripture alternative to 'religion'.

Taxation
* No change

Immigration
* No change

Crime
* Detainment and rehabilitation of those who commit racially based crimes.
* Welfare is a method of crime prevention. Once removed all those who supported it's removal should have their houses proudly displaying they they participated in the scheme and hence their house the first to be lewted and ransacked.

Indigenous Affairs
* They should receive welfare no different from any other Australian.

Global Warming
* Continue policies which promote lowering of emissions relative to our country production of emissions globally.

Social Policy

* Marriage should not be licensed by the state. However, if it has to be, it should be open to all over the age of consent - gay or straight - because the state has no right to interfere in a person's love life once they're over that age. If it's state-sanctioned, it's a civil union, regardless of who's marrying. If churches and other religious institutions wish to marry people in religious settings, that could be termed marriage. Since a church is a private entity, it can marry or refuse anyone it sees fit.

*Removal of affirmative action.

* I support stem cell research.
* Kill bshoc.
* Cull the pensioners over 100 lowering culling age by 6 month at the start of each year. This is to be made a public holiday.

Welfare policy
* Continue current schemes for receiving welfare.

*Furthermore, children should be discouraged from dropping out of school and doing nothing. They shouldn't be allowed to leave school at the end of Year 10 unless they've either got a job or are undertaking training. Otherwise, they're more inclined to go on welfare.

*You should not get an automatic pension just for being a single mother because this is a form of passive encouragement to marry abusive husbands. Seriously, it encourages people to have kids when they can't afford it, it's easily rorted, and it encourages the state to pay for people's lifestyle choices. I oppose it on the same grounds as I do the baby bonus and family tax benefits - a child is a choice and a long-term commitment, and it's one you shouldn't make unless you're truly ready and capable. At least childcare benefits go towards a service and are not just money straight in the pocket, though I'm again a bit iffy on those because of the choice factor.

Industrial Relations
* Workchoices is good but for one thing: it doesn't go far enough. The legislation itself is too complex and too prescriptive. For a better example, look to New Zealand's clearer legislation - it's only about 50 pages long.

Public Transport
* I support toll roads because I don't mind the fact that a private company builds infrastructure based on need and we need another private/public fiasco disaster to blame whatever government is in charge for being dumb enough to fall victim to believing private companies aren't money hungry greedy machines designed to bankrupt anyone but themselves.

* I would implement the Christie Rail Report suggestions (for that MASSIVE train system) starting immediately. Given that public transport is a good thing in general, I don't mind putting a sizable chunk of money towards it - I don't like specifically environmental legislation as such, but having a decent rail system is important because it's useful and it indirectly helps the environment while improving quality of life.
* A rail system that works and actually runs on time.

Monetary policy
* Lower the pay of politicians.

Defence
* Support our troops in Iraq until their role can be replaced by Iraqis.
*Maintain current foreign policy with Asia, and North America.
*Invade Israel.
*Free Saddam and place him as Dictator of United Jesus ( Israel/Palestine )

Free Trade
* Is one of the most essential things EVER, and I'd do everything in my power to facilitate it as long as it's in our favour.

Foreign Aid
*Provide security for our Pacific neighbours whilst secretly planning to have them as satellite states of our great nation and should they refuse our gracious offer we remove our troops and watch their countries descend to chaos.

Environment
* I support nuclear power.

* I support a better public transport system.

* Distillation plants in the Eastern Suburbs.

Media
* No Changes

Tertiary Education
* No Changes

HSC
- unilateral free trade.
- sell off of all remaining government businesses (eg australia post).
- further, gradual reform of the IR sector.
- gradual reduction of taxes.
- privatisation of higher education.
- legalisation of all firearms.
- privatise health with means tested vouchers for those who really need them.

There's more of course, I'll add them later.

Last edited:
HSC
4. A basic understanding of market principles would suggest that there would be some very bad schools that would gain a bad reputation. Once that reputation stuck it would be unable to loose that reputation. The worst students would go to the worst schools. These schools would have much trouble attracting good staff making it even harder for the school be loose its bad reputation creating a self perpetuating system of institutionalized elitism where those schools deemed bad have no chance of ever escaping that categorization.
These schools would keel over and die, much like kelloggs would if their cereal were found to contain poison and razor blades due to negligence. The problem with the public sector in general is that when something fails the government's reply is to throw more money at it rather than change their approach.

HSC
To try to gauge people's reactions to varying degrees of privatisations I'll put the following to everyone: Would you support the complete privatisation of everything, so long as those who a means test showed could not afford certain neccessities such as health (i.e. the bottom 5, 10, 15% or whereever you wish to draw the line, so long as it's reasonable) got vouchers to compensate?
Oh, but don't you know it's just the poor, oppressed public school system not being allowed to reach its full potential due to lack of funds?

Nice work, Justin.
You do realise I'm gonna get lynched for analysing schools as a legitimate market service though, right? :p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Skaf's sentence should never have been reduced.
What exact difference is there between 31 and 55 years in your opinion? Does he become more reformed in those years? Does he pose less of a re-offender risk? I personally don't see a practical difference between 31 and 55 years, the only difference is on how much more likely it is that skaf will die in prison (un-natural causes) simply by being their longer, how much more iscolated from the world he will become etc...

Lewthwaite got bailed and look what happened.
What do you mean he got bailed and look what happened? Nothing has happened since he was granted bail?

The Arterial Bloc dudes at the G20 - now they should have been arrested, fined, whatever... The Critical Mass ones breaking traffic laws and causing havoc on the streets? Not cool.
The government should accept a bit of lawlessness at protests, just not outright anarchy. I agree that those that are maybe breaking windows or whatever should be arrested, however it's rather difficult. If the police move in on the protest, then they actually inflame the situation, so instead, most of the time, they sit back and try to take photos etc so they can identify people later on.

So where would your 'being harsher on protestors' come into it? Would you like police to make on the spot arrests on the day, further inflaming the whole situation? Would you just like those that eventually get caught to be punished harder?

I'd like to see the anarchists get caught more often, stop doing what they do, but I know of no alternative to what happens now that I'd be happy with.

Pay TV. End of story.
  • All people, not just those able to afford Pay TV?
  • Most of Pay TV is oversea's work.

Because I believe it was justified and I believe that the Iraqis are better off for it. I also believe that sectarian strife has done a lot more damage than the liberation by the Coalition of the Willing.
I supported the war when it first began, I believed there were WMD's and in my naivity didn't the entire US intelligence community could have got it wrong. I was even willing to support it as a further foothold of western power in the region, something that I feel is a force for good - But it's not even that anymore.

Because I believe it was justified
How so?
  • WMD's weren't there.
  • Saddam was a pretty bad guy but there's ALOT of bad guys all around the world.
  • It would seem such an invasion isn't even the best way for the west to 'stabalise/democratise' the middle east - in fact, it's probably the worst.
and I believe that the Iraqis are better off for it
How?
  • Many dead civilians.
  • Destabalised country that will lead to years more of war, more death.
  • No infrastructure improvements.
  • Whatever 'democracy' they have now is likely to be erroded.

I also believe that sectarian strife has done a lot more damage than the liberation by the Coalition of the Willing.
Except when you piece together that the Coalition of the Willing instigated the sectarian strife by invading Iraq?

- unilateral free trade.
So in a free trade deal with china you would protect no australian industry if they agreed to do the same?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Would you support the complete privatisation of everything, so long as those who a means test showed could not afford certain neccessities such as health (i.e. the bottom 5, 10, 15% or whereever you wish to draw the line, so long as it's reasonable) got vouchers to compensate?
  • What sort of government regulation (or I guess to simplify it, you could say a level) would you require for a private health system?
  • Who would set the prices of various proceedures?
  • Would emergency ignore the means test etc and simply take whoever comes in without any form of ID (something that's pretty much the norm with such proposals)?

Last edited:
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
  • What sort of government regulation (or I guess to simplify it, you could say a level) would you require for a private health system?
  • Who would set the prices of various proceedures?
  • Would emergency ignore the means test etc and simply take whoever comes in without any form of ID (something that's pretty much the norm with such proposals)?
1. I would have very minimal regulation, and just allow hospitals to compete.
2. Doctors in conjunction with their hospitals.
3. Yes, but if it later turned out that they could've afforded it they would be liable to pay the cost back, though I'm not sure whether interest should be charged in this instance.

Raginsheep

HSC
Welfare policy
* The dole should be time-limited and dependent on participating in work for the dole, volunteering, undertaking training eg. at TAFE, or other such activities that will prepare you for the workforce.

SNIP

*Therefore encourage private charity over state-sponsored welfare.
No major issues with your welfare policy, but having private charities take over state-sponsored welfare assumes that their funding capacity is able to cover their new responsibilities even if a lot of those currently receiving the welfare are cut from the new system.

Monetary policy
* I'd lower taxes because the twin drains of an overbloated bureacracy and welfare systems would be the first things to go. There'd be a lot more money for things which are actually useful, like healthcare, education, police and public transport.
Taxation
* Flat, or close to flat (2-tier) taxation system so that we're not discouraging people from earning more money through the so-called 'progressive' taxation...
Its always nice to see less taxes but is it going to be enough to cover your proposed expenditure increases in your other areas? I'm not an expert in public sector accounting but I think it would be fair to say that you should assume that savings would be less than what you predict and expenditure would be more than forecasted.

Global Warming
* Since it's a cycle of warming that the earth undergoes, and since Australia hardly contributes on a world scale, I'd not sign Kyoto and I'd not give in to the scaremongers.
Would you agree to carbon trading schemes if Australia stood to make millions or billions of dollars from? Disregarding the whole environmental issue, isn't it better if Australian industries became more energy efficient and Australian companies are able to develop and sell newer clean technology to countries like China and India?

Free Trade
Do you think that the US-Australian FTA was good for the country?

Also what's your policy on investment into research and the tertiary system? Would you invest more into the science and engineering faculties (for research and development, not day care for single mothers) at out major universities or would they be largely funded by increased full fee places?

I guess the two major issues I have regarding your policies are funding considering that you've cut the major source of Federal revenue and also your over-whelming reliance on market economics. Lets face it, market economics is good in theory, its more tricky in practice.

Miles Edgeworth said:
Replacing the income tax system with a 20% nationwide Sales Tax on EVERYTHING that allows refunds to everyone up to a certain amount if you keep the vouchers.

Then you don't have to report your income, or have payroll income tax, and that way EVERYONE is taxed, not JUST income earners.
Doesn't that just hurt families that spend the majority of their income on food and other essentials considering they'll be taxed at close to 100% of their income while others with more financial clout are able to have at least part of their income bypass such a taxation system?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)